Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:30 AM   #21

Well, this is great news.

I was on Kingston's site last night and they include the S9000 in their compatibility search. Apparently they only support up to 2Gb CF with the S9000. Not sure if this is a Fuji CF limitation or what...didn't see anything in the Fuji manual about that.

Pretty much all their cards work with the S9000 up to the CF/2Gb-S which is 107. at newegg and one I would now strongly consider for the 1/2 hr. of video time.
curiousity54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:23 PM   #22

Thanks I hopeit helps in your decision.

Just in case, I was going to bring my camera and try it before I buy it.
AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:52 PM   #23

Dear Curiousity54,

After further review I find that you and I are both right and wrong. It seems the Xd card performs better on the Fujifilm 9000/9500. In another thread, someone kindly pointed me to this indepth review of speeds:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/page5.asp

In the review, it is clear the Xd card is faster in all respects, although the Sandisk Ultra II has a faster read/wirte speed.

In my experience, I had tested a higher speed compact flash but did not get faster performance which confirms the review.

But for movies, I still hold that any card will suffice and CF is still cheaper (money for capacity.

Regards, Allen

Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:25 AM   #24

Yes, that's the review that helped shape my original opinion/statements. I thought most were aware of it since its posted a number of times in various threads here though this isn't the only source (if I recall) of this type of information.

My point was that it doesn't matter what the speed of the card is, it's how the camera works with that speed. Generally speaking, you have to move to dSLR's to really take advantage of the speed of the fastest cards out there.

There are also a number of people that have commented on how Fuji appears to have bastardized the S9000 to prevent it from working better with CF cards. Interestingly, the E500 does take advantage of the higher speed CF cards. I guess they weren't willing to take any chances with the dSLR crowd?

Also, though the Kingston site lists only up to their 2Gb CF card as being compatible with the S9000, I do recalla review that used an Ultra II CF 4Gb card.

Other subtle differences are that xD is slightly more efficient in this camera thus will render more shots than CF (while microdrive gives considerably less). CF is cheaper though xD pricing does appear to be dropping a bit. CF is a more robust design and is easier to deal with if you run into corrupt data. There are wedding photograpers who have had to send their xD card out to data recovery services to get the photos recovered. Same would likely have been doable on your pc if it was a CF card.

I'm not too concerned about having larger cards for video as I'll also have a 20Gb data storage device (http://www.iperris.com/super20.htm) to move files to. A512Mb xDcard would probably suffice for me in which case I'd probably go xD unless I can find a 2Gb CF for about the same price as the 1Gb xD's. At the moment, in my area, the difference in pricing is not as great as it once was between xD and CF. (2Gb CF is about 50% more than 1Gb xD)

The nice thing about having 2 512Mb xD's (my original plan) is that if something goes wrong with one of them, you have a backup. I'd lose this redundancy if I went with a 2Gb CF card.The nice thing about CFis that if you ever changed cameras, it would likelybe useable in the newone.

Currently, I'm thinking of going witha 512Mb xD to start and then a larger CF down the road ifrequried or if/when prices drop a little more.

curiousity54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:12 AM   #25

Dear Curiousity54,

I agree totally with your views. I guess I am a bit dense as I re-read some of the reviews to find that indeed CF cards speeds are notfully exploited by the camera. It's too bad, this would have been good to get the DSLR performance.

As it seems, I make my buying decision in the face of an extended trip and last weekend I went out and bought the 1G Fuji Xd card. It works fine and it is slightly faster on read and write, approximately 20%. What got me worried was the statement in their website that files may take longer to write depending on the file type (don't know what this means) but it does not seem to affect me.

That is quite a niffy device and at a great price. It would seem having a 512M is not an issue.

For my pattern, it would take a few daysbefore I fill up my 512M. In looking at the price difference between the 512M and 1G, the 1G was likely more useful to me as I can take a lot of photo's and movies without much worry for capacity and even if they came out with a 2G or 8G, I would be happy with 1G. I too have a portable storage device, the Archos Gmini 400, which I originally bought as a MP3 player but it has a compact flash slot (now I need an Xd CF card adapter) and I find this quite handy to store data on the go.

By the way, what part of the world are you located? Just curious.

Best Regards, Allen