Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 22, 2005, 4:50 AM   #1

How are the movies on the s9000/9500? I'm referring of course to the 640, 30fps?
are they decent?
cybrosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:00 AM   #2

Hi

The short clips I've run off so far have been pretty good lots of colour and reasonable detail. A big improvement from my S5500 is the ability to zoom whilst filming.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:50 AM   #3

I can't compare to other cameras at 640 x 480 size but after being limited to 320 x 200 on my other camera it's a major improvement.Plus it saves the movie in avi format instead of quicktime mov files, I find that more convenient for editing and viewing. Smooth as silk playback,I can't fault it. Zooming on the go is great too. On the tv it really looks like you had shot the movie with a video camera.
Top stuff.

Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:18 PM   #4

the focus is kind of slow, when you zoom in or out, it takes a moment for the camera to refocus, but a small complaint really, its just sooo nice to able to zoom at all compared w/my s5100!

sample:

http://www.davidfriend.info/s9000.avi

warning! no tripod used
newdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 1:59 AM   #5

Wicked!

Thanks for the replies, people!

Old Oct 24, 2005, 4:23 PM   #6

ANyone has some movie samples with the S9000? I've seen the one in DCR, but I want see more.

Cheers.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:51 AM   #7

This is the first time I am posting a reply for anything so please excuse me for mentioning this issue a number of times on this site.

The movies are great and with the manual zoom, I think it is unsurpassed by anything.

This is my second fuji camera but I have the same issue (more pronounced on the S9500), the sound quality is horrible. On playback the sound is like it was recorded within the confines of a metal can. It sounds fine on playback on the camera but once it is played on a PC, it is really bad. I have checked and rechecked, using headphones plugged directly on the PC output and the same canned sound.

I have posted a new thread asking if anyone has found a way to resolved this.

Really a pity as all other aspects of the camera has been great. Now I am not sure if I would buy this camera but opt for bettersound quality.
AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 8:14 PM   #8

Allen,

Thank for the info' mate.

One of the main reasons for me to get the Fuji(in the process of doing so)was the video.
Just for the sake of argument, how does it compare with the FZ30?

Cheers
Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:56 AM   #9

Dear Cybrosh,

I am jumping on my PC to advise everyone that I have corrected my sound problem. It turns out that my equalizer setting on my home PC was adding the unwanted noise. Now its fine. In my concern, I went today to see if it was a problem with the S9500, soI tried and recorded a movie on the new S5600 at a camera shop, the sound was fine on my work PC(better from the S9500 vs the S5600, eventhough the S5600 has a front pointing mic). I went home and adjusted the PC equalizer and all is well.

I have not tried the Panasonic but for movies it seems to be same spec. I prefer the Compact Flash and dual slot of the fuji, it just that I have already have CF cards. And...

This is my second Fuji as I am sold on the CCD and Fuji features. So when the Lumix and the Fuji became available I naturally when for the Fuji.

If Hong Kong is any indication, Fuji is not a popular brand here but I understand from friends that stock for the S9500 is mostly "out". Seems this camera has created quite a stir from a market traditionally held by Canon (Hong Kong origin), Olympus, etc. Also, I was one of the first to buy the S9500, since then the price seems to have held $US50 higher then what I paid, (maybe its me wanting to reaffirm my purchase).

I think you will do well with either camera but the Fuji history for great color pics is compelling.

I will wait with great interest to hearwhat you choose and your after-sales reaction.

Good Luck, Allen

AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:52 AM   #10

Dear Allen,

Again, thanks for sharing!

I intended to put my money on the S9000/9500 anyways and your latest reply reassured my decision!

Will post impressions and images once I have it.

Cheers!