Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:18 PM   #11

Sounds seem to be a part of the operation of the Fuji S-9000/S-9500. Not to worry! You have a great digital camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 6:54 AM   #12

Sorry for the late reaction but I'm just back in the country. This is the answer Fuji Holland gave me:
Deze geluiden zij normaal. Ik heb het uitgetest met mijn S9500 en doet precies hetzelfde.
Bij het aanzetten worden een aantal dingen gedaan door de camera:
het objectief wordt intern op de juiste brandpuntsafstand gezet. Hierbij verschuiven de lenselementen in het objectief.
diafragma en sluiter worden op de gemeten waarde gezet.
Deze dingen tezamen maken het ratelend geluid.

Translation:

This sounds are normal I tested it with my own s9500 and it does the same thing.
If you switch on the camera it does the following things :
The lens is focussing when you switch on the camera and the elements in the lens are moving.
Aperture en shutter are adjusted to the right levels. All these things together making this rattling noise.
dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:33 AM   #13

nick> My only problem with my S9000 is that I can't stop taking pictures.

;+))))))
aglaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:18 AM   #14

Yes, initially I oftened got a chattering sound, but having the S9500 for over a month I rarely hear this and I have not had any problems
AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:27 AM   #15

Can someone offer advice, this is my second fuji digital camera and one of the strong points in buying these was the movie mode. The problem is the sound, it is like the sound was recorded in a small room with solid walls, like a washroom. This distracts from an otherwise excellent camera. Any fixes, external mic's, etc.

Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:48 AM   #16

Can't offer any help I'm afraid. However, although ability to shoot movies may be an attraction (it wasn't to me) I would respectfully suggest that a better option would be a dedicated camcorder. The s9500 may be OK for catching those spur of the moment clips, but my main requirement from a camera is quality stills.

This is not meant to be a criticism but I think it unfair to expect what is primarily an SLR-type camera, designed mainly with images in mind, to offer decent sound quality as well. In other words, it may be the mike that's the problem, but as a photographer the mike is of considerably less importance to me than the lens etc!
beakydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:05 AM   #17

Thanks for the reply. I have solved my problem, see other thread on this site. It was an equalizer setting on my home PC.

I understand your agruement which I have had with a number of my friends but why not to have everything? This is a pro-sumer model not a purist DSLR. Plus I cannot rationalize the expense and effort of carrying around a second unit, added to the problemwith my young son running around and trying to switch from one camera to another.

Anyways, all is well.

I just got back from Thailand and you would not believe the fun I had with this camera. It is (now) a really good buy.

Thanks again, Allen

Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:32 PM   #18

I agree (in part) with your comments. Much easier to have everything in one place. However, experience shows that if you try and cram in too much, quality is sacrificed elsewhere. True, for top-quality images, dSLR is the answer. I still maintain, though,that a camera is a camera and as long as the s9500 still quality is not compromised by adding in movies I'll have no complaint (and I certainly have none yet!)
beakydave is offline   Reply With Quote