Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:15 AM   #1

My s9500 has begun (I think - only noticed because of other comments) to make a couple of strange noises. At start up it ticks, which appears to be shutter blades opening and closing and when focussing it makes a 'gurgling' sound. Are these normal, as other posts imply that this is a major fault. One user found his unit started to produce out of focus images. Fuji have so far declined to assist. As I am about to leave for a month's holiday in Oz I am naturally concnerned that the camera fails when I am out there.

Can anyone reassure me that there is no real problem, or should I seek an exchange now?
beakydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:50 AM   #2

I have the same thing, see post:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15124224

I went back to the dealer but they all got it ! So it seems to be OK

See attachment for the sound I hear when I start up my camera
Attached Files
File Type: zip S9500sound.zip (2.6 KB, 113 views)
dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:12 AM   #3

Exactly the same sound as mine. Not convinced it is normal, though. As per the other thread, if it is normal why should it start only after some use? I really wish I could get definitive answer from the manufacturer!
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:37 AM   #4

I tried a couple in the shop and they all made the same sound. Why don't you send a email to fuji with the WAV sound file ??
I agree with you it's a funny cheap sound !
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:52 AM   #5

I just send a email to Fuji Holland so lets wait and see what they have to say.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:55 AM   #6

:bye:Hello to all fellow photographers,

Some camera settings may causestrange noise, specifically "Continuous focus", "Macro" and "High speed shooting" modes.

Other than that, camera's photometry and focus mechanismisrather "squeaky", take it or leave it.

=))

x7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:43 PM   #7

I talked with fuji holland on the phone about exactly the same problem. It started after 600 shots. All these cameras do make this sound, but mine was getting much louder all of a sudden. It felt cheepish and didn't sound like I could shoot the 30000+ photos I shot with my previous camera. The man on the phone listened, and agreed it was not normal. Then I contacted foto Konijnenberg, and their techician compared the loudness of the sound with a new camera. He agreed there was a significant difference. He also agreed to send me a new camera. And so he did.The new camera is much more solid, performs very well, and doesn't make the sound so loud as the first one. The sound will never go away completely, as it is the sound of the aperture setting. Strangely, in high speed shooting mode it is almost completely gone.

Did I already say I like the service of Konijnenberg?

Good luck with your camera, Dijkx!
vocalfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 8:26 AM   #8

I have also spoken to Fuji UK and let technician hear sounds over the phone. He said they are perfectly normal (they did sound the same as his lab model). He did offer free examination but I think I will perservere for a while, really putting the camera through its paces. If noises worsen, or image quality deteriorates, I will then have it looked at.

One thing that does concern me is the fact that he said there are no known issues with the camera. This is odd, bearing in mind the widespread averse comments and number of returns to dealers. Further, it seems to be widely acknowledged that there were problems with the 'A' series serial numbers whereas the 'Q' series should be OK (thankfully mine is a Q).
Old Oct 26, 2005, 5:21 PM   #9

My S5200 sounds exactly like that. I think most digicams make some noise when you power them up. Most of them have to extend their lenses which is usually a noticeably noisy process, at least it was in the cameras I've used. My Fuji doesn't have to extend it's fixed zoom lens when I power up, so I think what I'm hearing now is the aperture/shutter mechanisms turning on.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 5:39 PM   #10

My only problem with my S9000 is that I can't stop taking pictures.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote