Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 28, 2005, 1:18 AM   #21

MT, you're right, it's hard to tell the futureabout electronics&chips, it wouldn't be the first time that areamakes me surprised!:shock:

Anyway, I'm still in for the FZ30 in favour of the S9500. For outdoor shooting as nature, wildlife and candids,image stabilization should normally serve better than the antiblur method of raising ISO. IS alone should save you 2-3 ISO steps. Then, the FZ30 also haslarger aperture possibilities in the long zoom range which further helps. I shouldn'tneed the high ISOs (w/noise)that often!

/Per

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 9:16 AM   #22

In my totally amature opinon, looking at the Russian comparison (even with bablefish's translation) the FZ30 beat the 9500, in the images they supplied. I found this interesting because I have been leaning to the FZ5/FZ20 camera, but have been trying to find something equivilant with better low light capability because I like to take a lot of shots in exiting light with no flash, so was thinking the 5200 might fit the bill. The FZ20 has noise issues, but so it seems most all do with the smaller sensors. I was suprised to see the 5200 had an ISO up to 1600. So looking at the supplied photos it would appear the OIS beat the ISO. Then I noticed something odd, the FZ seemed to take sharper pictures (the 9500 was softer?). I thought there was less noise with the 9500, until I went to the Comparison 1, 2 and 3, and I could tell little difference in the noise generated at ISO 400 from either camera. Strange on some of the photos the 9500 seemed to generate noise at ISO 800 about the same as the FZ30 at ISO 400, until the Comparison 1,2 and 3 photos. I think the FZ photos were better (only slightly mind you) because they seemed a bit more focused and the colors seemed "brighter". But what do I know
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:49 AM   #23

Here is another ISO comparison between the 9500, FZ30 and 815. It seems that the release version of the 815 does not have ISO 800, although it was originally reported that it would. http://www.popco.net/zboard/view.php...=asc&no=11
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 1:30 PM   #24

Blue,

Checked the review but Babel fails to translate this page... S9500 wins clearly in the noise test just as it should.However, I bet they've compared JPEGs, not RAW where the FZ30 should come a lot closer. In the (I guess) optical test below, the FZ30 is the obvious winner. Interesting to see tests of the Pro815 for the first time...

I've just placed an order for the FZ30 so Ishould probably change forum from now on.

/Per

Old Oct 29, 2005, 3:12 PM   #25
E.T

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
IS is NOT A CURE!
Neither is over amplifying weak signal with low SN-ratio to such level that it requires very heavy processing (causing softening of details) to get acceptable noise level.

And in case of this Fuji S9500 higher ISO images definitely aren't even nearly low noise images while already ISO400 shows loss of details.
Samples in here show it clearly:
http://www.videozona.ru/photo_tests/...Z30_page05.asp

PeHa wrote:
Quote:
As the sensor is large it will also bring the backdraws of requiring larger, advanced¬*and more expensive lenses. The R1 is a huge camera and has a zoom range of 5X so that chip technology may never be the solution for compact super zoom cameras.
And that drawback isn't small one.
It would be literally one step forward and couple others backwards.
Small sensors enable achieving high F-ratios with smaller optics, just imagine how much bigger FZ30's 35-420mm F2.8-F3.7 lens would be if made for DSLR sized sensor.
In practise bigger sensor size means you can kiss goodbye to ultra zoom (/long tele) lenses with high F-ratios in compact/practical size.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 6:04 PM   #26

More s5200 ISO comparisons.

Watch the little dude's smile disappear.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 9:05 PM   #27

PeHa, you might try Google's translation service, http://www.google.com/language_tools. The site's in Korean, btw.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:18 PM   #28

Ok, trying the right language is a good first step :-) However,bablefish doesn't make it anyway and the Google page is just guidance to getinstructions in different languages and language search facilities, no translations

Then, about sensor sizes (for those interested in technical details):

* the S9500 sensor is about 48mm2, with 9MP that means a density of about 190,000 pixels/mm2.

* the FZ30 sensor is about 38 mm2, with 8MP that means about 210,000 pixels/mm2.

* the Sony R1 sensor is (like many dSLRs) about 310 mm2, with 10MP that means about 32,000 pixels/mm2.

Explains why the R1 sensorceratinly hasanother performancebut also different requirements (especially lenses).

/Per

Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:28 PM   #29

Per, when I go to that Google site I get a page with 4 different sections:
*Search Specific Languages or Countries
*Translate
*Use the Google Interface in Your Language
*Visit Google's Site in Your Local Domain

In the Translate section of the page you can enter text or a website address, just like Babelfish. I translated the Korean site, but I can't say I understand much more from the translation! Here is a sample:

"It is an anger quality comparison which it follows in zoom use and a circumference vice- anger quality comparison. (100% khu lop)
As well the kindness }s{9500 watch won sees must feel a charm in wide angle. When it uses a zoom, percentage recording anger quality ppwu yeh to is good season because of explanation. From watch won when it expresses seriously, like the focus without being right it is visible until it does.

From wide angle until candle watch won the cover the }pro{815 which it does when considering the fact that they are 15 boat zooms the maximum watch master drawing depending on broad way the bay where it will write but some excessiveness it was impression it holds. The other side }fz{30 the zoom anger quality decrease is burnt the head of a family enemies in 3 models and also the circumference vice- D tail is good most.
The of course }pro{815 compares in the }fz{30 and also the lens dawns and (}f{2.2) basic the lens su pheyk is in small quantity different case fact because also the wide angle is good.

It grasps the anger quality decrease degree against 3 emphysema and character degree and it sees and and the test for was it lets to know a point, it wishes. "
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:51 PM   #30

still subject, long zoom, shaky photographer = anti shake good

moving subject, long zoom = anti shake useless

still subject, long zoom, sturdy tripod = anti shake academic

!!!!! TRIPOD TRIPOD TRIPOD !!!!!
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote