Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 12, 2003, 9:32 PM   #1
djs

Default A Compact Flash Card that works

As a new owner of a 602z, and an engineering type who probably OVER researches things, I found a flash card that works great both with pictures on all settings as well as video mode. The Compact Flash card is made by Dane-Elec (r)/Samsung, its 256MP, 16x. For the movies to work well you have to have at least 16x; I read that 18x is preferable. MermorySuppliers.com had this particular card on sale for $79.00. I haven't seen to many other retailers sell it this low. Note: movie mode set in VGA mode is limited to 30sec (before hitting "standby") due to its larger number of recorded pixels - I believe the buffer in the camera hits max at that resolution. On QVGA I can fill the entire card roughly 400 sec.
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:03 PM   #2

I use a PNY 256 CF Card with my S602 with no problems. I have had the camera for three months.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:19 PM   #3

Lexar 128 12x card work in my camera without a hitch . . . so far.
Ron Kaplansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 3:57 AM   #4

Quote:
movie mode set in VGA mode is limited to 30sec (before hitting "standby") due to its larger number of recorded pixels - I believe the buffer in the camera hits max at that resolution.
I can fill a 128Mb SmartMedia card in VGA mode WITHOUT any hitches. So it's not a camera buffer issue with CF, The buffer hits max 'cos the data can't get out fast enough, even if the cam's buffer was bigger it would still max out some time on a long movie. It's still the write speed to the card, its ATA and logic, still isn't as fast as SM or microdrive, but CF is OK for normal shots.

I've noticed some MP3 players now specify particular types of CF card - what a mess!

Anybody tried multiple shot mode at 6Mpix fine yet on CF cards?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 11:07 AM   #5
djs

Vox,
what type of CF are you using? Brand and speed?
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 7:28 PM   #6

djs...Notice I mention SM (SmartMedia). I skipped the issues over CF compatibility as they're in most threads and on most Fora and migrated SM to Microdrive. I've got some small Kodak CF's (Sandisk inside) which work for normal pics. in my 602.

If I found a big CF I wanted to use and worked, I'd be cautious about a recommendation - knowing that many suppliers just brand cards, with memory and drivers from wherever they can get them at the right price. So what works today - might not tomorrow.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 5:33 PM   #7

Default PRETEC

What about these new hich capacity CFs?? Visit www.pretec.com and see what i mean. Are these compatible with S602? I see at the charts that they are very fast but it doesn't refer to compatibility.
Any opinions??

bakolaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 4:27 PM   #8

Since they're not specifically guaranteeing compatibility with a 602, can they be trusted to refund your cash, if you shoot a card full of AVI movie, and the playback freezes?

The bigger the card - the bigger the format cluster and the risk of no cash refund and disappointment. I'm buying a couple of cheap small CF cards for an MP3 player classed as 'B' grade ( returns, but guaranteed OK). Hmm...I wonder where they've come from?

It's amazing how easy it is to screw up these cards formats by poking a few bytes at them, and I now see why many are returned 'faulty'. However, I can now screw up a card 'till it's inside out and bring it back to life. However, I think write speed issues can't be fixed - and you're stuck with it

As a real engineer most of my life I had a saying about discrete semiconductors "The are all the same until proven different" You could apply this to CF cards!

If you take the chance and it works - let us know!
Old Mar 5, 2003, 9:40 PM   #9

I opted to go to the 340 Mb IBM microdrive. Heck, it's only $99 at the D-Store. Well worth it. You can get a 5 min movie with it.

Best regards,
Trader Jack is offline   Reply With Quote