Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:17 AM   #1

Default help with 2350-downloading to finepix and other problems!!

I hate my digital camera. I didn't realize I couldn't actually have photos I could put in my scrapbook. Is there any way to take the card, put it in an envelope at Wal-mart, and get pictures back? I tried to print a few of my favorites, but they were very grainy. I don't want to have to invest in an expensive printer, glossy paper, ink, etc.. I just want regular pictures. Photography and fooling around with the camera is not my hobby, but I do love preserving memories of my family.
So now that I've found I can't actually get tangible pictures easily, I decided I would just use them for my e-baying. I had taken maybe 5 pictures of general stuff and was able to view them on my Finepix viewer software. Well, after taking maybe a dozen more of items I wanted to sell, I try to download via USB cable and adaptor and all I get is the green light and the screen saying DSC, with no information being traded. Now, all my documents show up on finepix that I didn't even take with my digital camera,(drawing my kids have done on MS Paint, etc..). I don't want to delete them all, but is this taking up too much space and not allowing my new pics on? There are 75 images in my documents now and nothing new will transfer. I see where it has created a folder with the date and includes all those pics, but my new pics have all different dates, so how does that work? Do I have to be connected to the internet to download? This is just much more work than I expected and very frustrating. Sorry this is so long and detailed, but I'm desperate.
Thanks for any replies or suggestions
ShaunaleeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2003, 2:06 PM   #2

First of all, you probably don't have a Fujifilm 2350. You MIGHT have a 2300 or 2650, assuming the number you supplied was close to accurate. Second, it's not fair to hate a camera about which thousands of others have nothing but good to say. I never advise anyone who is not comfortable with technology to invest in technology, unless they are willing to take the time to learn how to use it. I have 2 Fujis at present, a 2300 and 2800. I have had no problems with downloading pictures, but now use a card reader so that I can have a permanently connected devicce (it works the same way as connecting the camera).
Third: how much of the camera manuals have you read (there are 2: one for the camera itself and one for the drivers and FinePix Viewer)? How much of your printer manual have your read? Do you understand how Twain devices connect and display? Do you know how and where pictures are saved by FinePix Viewer (you can choose where they go and what they are named in it's menus)?
If you print on standard printer paper, they will appear dull and grainy. To get photo quality, you need photo quality paper (I use inexpensive NCR Glossy: 40 cents a sheet makes 3 4x6s), and your printer should be set to it's photo quality setting. In my $69 Hewlett-Packard, it has to be set to "PhotoRet" (photo quality) by selecting "Photo/Glossy Papers" in the printer's "Paper Settings".
If you double-click on "My Computer", select "Properties" from the drop-down menu, it will tell you how much Free Space is left on your hard disk. You will probably need about a MB (1,024,768 bytes) or so per picture, depending on what resolution you capture with the camera. If there IS space available to save your pictures:
When you connect your camera to the USB port, you should get another icon after your hard disk's "C" icon (and any CD-Rom drives), named "Removable Disk" (n: ) where n is the next available drive letter. If you click on it it will open a DCIM folder, and within that a "100_FUJI" folder. That is where the pictures are. Click on one JPG picture, to open it up with whatever program your computer uses, and try a Save As from that program's File menu to see if you can save one picture.
If there is NO Removable Disk (n: ) icon, then your camera may not be set to DSC (it's somehow been set as a Web-Cam "PC CAMERA" in it's menu ). Your camera manual will tell you how to switch this setting in it's menu.
I have not yet tried taking any media to Wal-Mart to print, as I am very happy with results at home. I do know people who take photographic prints there to get enlargements when they have no negative.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 4:32 PM   #3

Yes, it's a 2650 and is there some help I can get directly from Fuji? I don't find anything like that on their web site.
My finepix viewer is installed and when I open it, it displays all of my documents that I have scanned as well. When I hook up my USB and my adaptor, the green light stays lit and the words, DSC are on the monitor, no info is exchanging and no new pictures are displayed. I really don't know what else to do, but pack it up and quit using it. I just got it in Oct!
I've read the manual over and over. The first time, I had only taken 5-6 pics and they all transferred over fine. Is there a folder I have to make myself? Some of the pics still on the camera have already been downloaded to my PC, but the others are new and I'm trying to get them on. Is there something basic I'm forgetting?
Old Feb 16, 2003, 5:11 PM   #4

Digital photography is as much about understanding the digital world of pc's, operating systems, filing and all the stuff wot goes wrong on the handling of files, as it is about photography!

To start getting something out of the photography side first. Shoot your pics and preview them with the camera, delete the ones that don't work and take the card to Walmart for printing. I'm in UK so don't know your store system. In UK you can either work the machine to preview pics off your card and say which one's you want printed - or ask the assistant to do it for you.

When you get the pics back, it will show you what you're aiming for as - do-it- yourself on your pc and printer.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 9:07 PM   #5

Does Exif Launcher start up with Windows?
If so you will have a small shortcut icon at the bottom right hand side of your monitor in the task bar (next to the clock).
The icon looks like a SmartMedia card with a telescope at the top of it..
With this icon there, your PC will automatically sense the camera when it is attached and turned on, and open up FinePix Viewer automatically, showing you all the in-camera images. You can then download them to the PC in 2 diff ways (Auto Save or one at a time), or delete some or all of them.
If you just start up FinePix Viewer by itself from your Start/Programs menu, it will default to displaying your PC's default folder, probably C:My Documents.
You really shouldn't save your pictures all in My Documents: you should create a new folder (maybe within FinePix Viewer's folder) to save them. I keep folders for each day,month, and year that I take a picture. Every cardfull has it's own folder.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 8:00 PM   #6

Thanks! No, finepix viewer does not start up on it's own once I connect the camera. I have to click on the finepix icon and then it shows all of my documents. I finally reloaded the finepix software and kept at it all morning, trying to get my camera to communicate with PC, and all the sudden, it started doing something and I could see there was a new folder that said, "removable disc", then DCIM, etc.. like my manual said. I auto saved the pics and all is fine for now. Maybe I didn't have my USB cable pushed in tight enough or something. I can't imagine, as many times as I've been messing with it. I still can't get it to crop pictures though. I see the symbol to crop, but the button next to it looks like it's already pushed in and when I try to push it, it doesn't move, but the rotate, etc.. works. I wish there were more detailed instructions.
Thanks for the support! It's really been aggravating.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 11:59 PM   #7

In FinePix Viewer's "Settings" menu is the option to change the folder you Auto Save to. That way you wouldn't have to see all your "My Documents" folder's files when you want to save your pictures.
Also you should NOT Crop your pictures when they are on the SmartMedia. Wait until after you have transferred them to your hard disk. You should never crop an original image. Make a copy and crop it. The best way to crop, remove redeye, etc is to copy it to a BMP format, do your changes, then copy it back as a JPG file (but don't overwrite your original JPG unless you are absolutely sure your new image is at least as good or better than the original).
To make your PC recognize your camera easier, go into your Finepix Viewer folder and create a shortcut to the QuickDCF.exe file. Then save the shortcut in your Programs/StartUp folder. That way when you attach your camera, the PC will recognize it automatically (after the next Windows Restart).
To crop your images you have to place your cursor within the picture and left-click and hold the button down as you slide the cursor to the size you want (a white line will show the new "frame"). Once you have the box the size you want, let up on the mouse button and go back into the Crop menu. Crop will not be greyed out any more. But as I said, it's not wise to crop the minute you see your picture on the SmartMedia: you may change your mind about the crop later and then it's too late.