Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 1, 2005, 7:01 AM   #11

Hi nickphoto123,

You probably missed some cynicism in my message - I amаhappyownerof this camera and would recommend itas a great"photographic tool" without a blink. :-)

BTW - There are some really nice photos in Simon's review gallery, unlike "vitaminwater" pictures from DcResource.com, they demonstrate S9500 image quality quite a bit...
x7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:25 AM   #12

x7497, nickphoto123.

Sometimes you guys really get me puzzled. You actually seem to be disappointed or even aggrieved that the review on dpreview has dared to mention some of the shortcomings of the s9000.

The reviewer clearly points out where the s9000 excels:

"Overall, compared to other 'super zoom' bridge cameras the S9000 is hard to fault from an ergonomics point of view - and it's certainly comes the closest yet to recreating that elusive 'SLR-like' handling experience."

"The electronic viewfinder is actually very good"

"Overall impressions of the S9000 are very positive indeed; the results are detailed (if a little soft), well exposed, have natural color (quite subtle compared to many consumer cameras) and focus is very reliable"

"it does show that up to about ISO 400 the S9000 does a far better job of controlling noise than any of its direct competitors"

"The S9000's noise levels - especially at the lower end of the scale - are very low, certainly for a camera in this class, and certainly when you consider the pixel density. Not bad at all!"

Fortunately, the reviewer addresses the not-so-good as well:

"it's slightly disappointing to see a 1.8-inch LCD on the back of the S9000"

"I'd have been a lot happier if white balance wasn't hidden in a menu (or even if it was put in the underutilized 'F" menu), and I'd much rather see an external control for ISO"

"We did find some fairly serious purple fringing - especially at the wide end of the lens, and towards the edge of the frame"

"Above ISO 400 the difference between the S9000 and the Rebel XT are visible, and stark. Looking at the graphs below you'd think that noise levels weren't that different, but that's all down to the strong noise reduction the S9000 is employing"

"Perhaps the biggest disappointment is that after the promise shown by the FinePix F10, which showed you can have usable ISO 1600 in a compact, Fujifilm chose to squeeze an extra 3 million pixels onto a sensor only the tiniest bit bigger, which means the top end of the ISO scale is much more seriously compromised by noise"

So what do you guys want? Shouldn't a reviewer address issues? Or do you feel your purchase is being questioned just because theses issues were mentioned? Are you truely pi$$ed off that the camera is "only" recommended and not HIGHLY recommended? Hilarious.

IMHO this is a very well-balanced and fair review, clearly stating the good and the bad.

BTW: maybe the following review will suit your sensitive taste better:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2072

where the reviewer makes amusing claims such as

"In the eight years that I've been reviewing digital cameras, the only one I've seen with better image quality is the Canon EOS 1DS MkII"

Would such a "balanced" review make you sleep better?

You're clearly happy and satisfied with your s9000, but taking up such a defensive position against criticism isn't the right approach.

peace, nymano.

nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:47 AM   #13

x7497,nic123, nymano - A point worth considering;

Had Fuji in their questionable wisdom not elected to imply or suggest that the 9000 can compete with the DSLR, I think it would have received rave reviews all round. But by suggesting that it can compete with the DSLR they have invited comparative testingand a mind setto gowith it.

They would have done far better in my opinion to promote it as an attractive alternative to the DSLR, which gets pretty close,and has the convenience & priceadvantageof using only one lens throughout an impressive range.

It's hardly surprising thatsome critics are comparing it to the DSLR- Fuji invited that scenario on themselves. Doesn't alter the factin my mind, that it is a good product at a good price for what it can do- buta DSLR it most definitely is not (and I for one, at this stage at least, do not want the hasslesthat go with a DSLR - that for me is what makes the 9000 so attractive).

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 9:00 AM   #14

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
Had Fuji in their questionable wisdom not elected to imply or suggest that the 9000 can compete with the DSLR, I think it would have received rave reviews all round. But by suggesting that it can compete with the DSLR they have invited comparative testingand a mind setto gowith it.

They would have done far better in my opinion to promote it as an attractive alternative to the DSLR, which gets pretty close,and has the convenience & priceadvantageof using only one lens throughout an impressive range.
Absolutely right. However, I appreciate comparisons between the s9000 and entry-level DSLRs. Such comparisons show where the s9000 can really keep up and where it cannot.

Quote:
Doesn't alter the factin my mind, that it is a good product at a good price for what it can do- buta DSLR it most definitely is not (and I for one, at this stage at least, do not want the hasslesthat go with a DSLR - that for me is what makes the 9000 so attractive).
I also think the s9000 is a formidable camera for the right audience. But that doesn't mean I'm too blinded to see its issues

Personally, I've got an F10 (excellent high ISOs) and was disappointed by Fujis choice to stick in more pixels and compromise image quality. Maybe I'll go for the R1, which has issues of its own, but suits me just that little bit better.

peace, nynamo.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
also think the s9000 is a formidable camera for the right audience. But that doesn't mean I'm too blinded to see its issues
Agreed, I've never really understood an emotional attachment to a particular product - unless I'm manufacturing it andown the company!

I also don't see anything untoward or conspirital in the shortcomings being highlighted - the reviewers would not be doing their job if they didn't bring them to our attention and I'm glad they do.I helps me to make an informed decision.

Also wondered about the 9m issue as it doesn't make too much sense to me other than what I think is is a seriously misguided marketingphilosophyin seeing theneed to competewith the DSLR. I must stress though that I am on uncertain technical ground when I make that statement. I think the S9000 is good enoughto market on it's own merits & strengths (all weaknesses acknowledged). If I were Fuji I'd be pushing the niche marketpotential of the 9000 and forget about trying to competein the DSLR arenawhere it is bound to be found ultimately wanting.

Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:46 AM   #16

I think we have read enough reviews, seen enough sample images, and have read other threads about the camera to know whether or not it is what we want. Reality. The 9000/9500 is NOT as good as a SLR, especially when using the higher ISO settings. You cannot change that fact. But maybe that isn't an issue for you. I think there is enough information available for us to decide whether or not this camera is what we want. If it is, then buy one. If it isn't, then wait a little while and see what else comes available. Any digital camera, regardless of brand or anything else, will produce acceptable results for those for which the camera was intended. I know, you are going to say, "then just stop reading the forum." But the debate time is over. It's pointless to worry about all of the reviews. None of them will give this model of perfect score because it isn't a perfect camera. And you have to remember that people who review these cameras are comparing it with the other cameras they have reviewed.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 1:00 PM   #17

Hmm all this talk of the S9500 being touted by Fuji as a DSLR competitor got me looking at the few Photomags I've brought recently and in none of them is the camera advertised in this manner.

I cant really see the point in making direct comparisons between 2 cameras of such different prices yes use a Camera as a benchmark but why not pick something of a comparable range not serveral stepa above.

This review would only have anoyyed me if I had paid DLSR money for my S9500.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 1:03 PM   #18

Further 2 my last post obviously I meant the indirect comparisons to the DSLRs not the Pana. Sorry for any confusion folks.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:26 PM   #19

Fuji in their release notifications and rather gleeful marketing blurbs alluded to the potential for comparison, in quite anemphatic manner, which I think got up the nose of some critics and DSLR enthusiasts alike (as it turns out, apparentlyjustifiably so).Point isFuji have needlessly created anegativety in somequarters of the market which they could have avoided if they had marketed the product for what it really is - a rather unique fixed lens digicam with a lot going for it.

It has a lotNOT going for it however whenuncomfortably placed under theDSLR interrogation lamp.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:36 PM   #20

The real issue, IMHO, is Simon's review placed the S9000 as "Recommended".

His words in his review would warrant "Highly recommended" as you can't get a better camera in its class (Prosumer), according to his own words, at this point in time.

Using the DPReview scale of ratings, how could he not conclude "Highly Recommended"?. Or perhaps I should ask "Why" as opposed to "How".

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote