Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:04 AM   #21

Fuji has made a commercial fault: S9500 is not DSRL-like.

It is an objective review and not bad conclusion: S9500 is a good camera,
noise after 800ISO, natural image, not perfect.
Sof

they forgot to say a thing: this camera is made for me
aglaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:25 PM   #22

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
His words in his review would warrant "Highly recommended" as you can't get a better camera in its class (Prosumer), according to his own words, at this point in time.
Please let me cite from Simons conclusion:

"I think - with the possible exception of the Panasonic FZ30 - it's fair to say the S9000 is the about as close any manufacturer has ever come to producing a fixed-lens camera that offers real SLR-like handling and operation"

"Compared to most - if not all - of its direct competitors it fares much better"

Why is the "Highly recommended" rating so important to you? Simon has rated it as a very good and (in his opinion) recommended camera. What difference does it make to you?

But then again, I'd already asked you guys in a previous post- no reply.

cheers, nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:31 PM   #23

Well said nymano & jphess.

It should be clear to all by now that the S9000 is NOT the "missing link" Fuji made it out to be and given their rather ambitious, if notconfrontational, marketing strategy one can hardly blame the sceptics fornow assuming a "I told you so" stance on the subject.

I still think itrepresents a good step-up for me from the 5500but I'm notgoing to pretend, or worse tryto convince myself as others appear to be doing, that it isanythingmore than it actually is.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 4:42 PM   #24

nyamo said:

Why is the "Highly recommended" rating so important to you? Simon has rated it as a very good and (in his opinion) recommended camera. What difference does it make to you?

But then again, I'd already asked you guys in a previous post- no reply.

cheers, nymano.

The only reason the rating is important to me is that I am a long time reader of DPReview and one reason for my reading them is their consistency on ratings.

Their S9000 rating is not in line with their previous rating history. I have lost confidence in reading their reviews from now on.

In the S9000 review I find that theyare being politically correct not to offend other manufacturers because other manufacturer's can'tmatch Fuji's high ISO performance at Fuji's price point at this point in time.

Regards, Nicholas

This shows the strength in the market place of the Super CCD by Fuji.
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:10 PM   #25

nickphoto123

You said "I have lost confidence in reading their reviews from now on."...

Well, here's another side of this "review business":

Few hours after Simon's review was up, the Russian guy from www.videozona.ruposted a link tohis FZ30-vs-S9500 comparison, part 2.

I counted4 threads (or so) immediatelly following his post, discussing his findings (vs Simon's) -even thoughpeople were using awkward BabelFish translation to read them.

3 hours later, all of these threads were removed by DPR administration and the guy (nicknamed Koeniger) was banned from accesing their forum (he was quite a well-known person on DPR forum during last 3 years).

I won't even comment this behaviour, just simple facts.

x7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:49 AM   #26

Precisely.

I did not want to say "Censorship".

Regards, Nicholas
Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:51 AM   #27

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
I have lost confidence in reading their reviews from now on.
So one single review that doesn't coincide with your opinion has made you lose your confidence in dpreview?Fair enough, LOL.So be it, if that's what it takes....

cheers, nymano.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 7:23 AM   #28

Nyamo,

It is not one single review, it is "One single attempt not to offend other manufacturers", ( my words and opinion ).

I believe this subject has been covered.

Regards, Nicholas
Old Nov 3, 2005, 7:37 AM   #29

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Nyamo,

It is not one single review, it is "One single attempt not to offend other manufacturers", ( my words and opinion ).

I believe this subject has been covered.

Regards, Nicholas
sure.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:45 PM   #30

x7497 wrote:
Quote:
nickphoto123

You said "I have lost confidence in reading their reviews from now on."...

Well, here's another side of this "review business":

Few hours after Simon's review was up, the Russian guy from http://www.videozona.ruposted a link tohis FZ30-vs-S9500 comparison, part 2.

I counted4 threads (or so) immediatelly following his post, discussing his findings (vs Simon's) -even thoughpeople were using awkward BabelFish translation to read them.

3 hours later, all of these threads were removed by DPR administration and the guy (nicknamed Koeniger) was banned from accesing their forum (he was quite a well-known person on DPR forum during last 3 years).

I won't even comment this behaviour, just simple facts.
Quote:
Quote:
Well if this is the case then why would they do this? If they can't deal with somebody openly critising their reviews on their message boards it does not say a whole lot about the people on therewho run it. Censorship is not acceptable for issues like that. Open debate by the parties involved is what I would expect.
Quote:
Ref the critisism of the LCD all I can say is this is really straining to find something to whine about, honestly if it was any bigger then it would really be clumsy which it gets close to now. Who ever designed the camera obviously stuck the biggest LCD that would work. Don't you think Fuji play the numbers game just like all the other makers and if they could have put something larger on there they would have.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote