Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:36 AM   #31

Seems the DPR Review has now been "unposted" for a while now, for whatever reason.

Nick, maybe they're changing the rating to Highly Recommended!:-)
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 3:02 AM   #32

SteveDak a écrit:
Quote:
Seems the DPR Review has now been "unposted" for a while now, for whatever reason.

Nick, maybe they're changing the rating to Highly Recommended!:-)
Or webmaster has make a error when he add Nikon D200 review ?

S9000 is always here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmS9000/
aglaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:13 PM   #33

I tend to agree with Nick.

The camera review previous to the S9000 is the E500 which was given a "highly recomended". It doesn't even do high speed USB.

I can only imagine that the E500 just barely made it to this designation while the S9000 just barely fell short but regardless, it does make one wonder.

It's not really about defending the S9000, simply accuracy, honesty and integrityin reviewing.

Reviews are great for pointing out pros/cons that you might not have been aware of but come decision time, I wouldn't put too much stock in what they conclude and to their credit, I think most reviewers would likely agree and encourage you to get your short list into your ownhands and decide for yourself based on your experience.
curiousity54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 5:09 PM   #34

The E500 didn't try and pass itself off as a DSLR competitor. I stillbelieve the S9000 would have received far better press(and ratings)all round had it not been marketed as the camera that was intended to make the low-end DSLR obsolete.

Just about every review I've read makes the point somewhere that the S9000 falls short of the DSLR. Fuji shot themselves in the foot through a pretty dumb marketing strategy.They succesfullycreated a mind setwhereby thepriority of many reviewersbecameto prove thatthe 9000 doesnot compare with any DSLR, before getting down to its good points.

We know that it is not a DSLR, but it comes closer than anything else with a fixed lens, which makes it a really good camera in its class. Pity Fuji became the victims of their own propaganda- I believe they have needlessly donethemselves and the 9000,a grave diservice. Once the DSLR comparison dust has settled, I think the camera will receive its due recognition - but one can hardly blame the present negative mind set that exists in certain quarterswhich was brought on by Fuji themselves.

Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:32 PM   #35

A good reviewer should not allow marketing/forward soundingstatements to bias their rating, IMHO.

curiousity54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:17 AM   #36

I agree - the dslr v digicam seems a very emotionalissue which personally I find hard to understand given the obvious differences between the two, but maybe I'm missing something.

The reason I started the "returns survey" thread was to get a feel for just how many 9000/9500s have actually been returned and replaced since there was a growing impression at one stage, that just about every second camerawas faulty in one way or another. I started the same topic on DPReview and it would seem that not that many have actually been returned / replaced (my quick count is less than 10 but that figure is a bit subjective and confined only to people who visit these forums).

There is a strong suggestion that some of the earlier releases had aproblembut it alsoseems clear thatuser error has been an issue in some cases which is unfortunate, since part of Fuji's promotion was the fact that the camera isparticularly user friendly. Many of the owners / defenders of the 9000 seem now to being saying otherwise and thatin fact, it takes quite a bit of gettingto know in order to realise its true potential.

I still think its a good camera andthat it will soon shake-off some of the negative impressions around, the more widely it is used - butthat is purely a personal opinion.

Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:34 AM   #37

I must say after having the fuji 6900, the 7000, the canon pro1 and the Nikon 8800 and now 9000/9500 (for a month) I've realized I must stop wasting money on PROSUMER cameras and gothe DSLR route, so I've handed back the fuji 9500 and instead bought a Canon 350d with the canon ES17-85 IS lens plus the SIGMA 70-300mm II APO macro super. What a revelation. Which gives me a range of 28-480. The results are magical. OKAY I will have to change the lens on occasions. So be it.

I've been a fuji fan for a long time. ENOUGH!!!. I think fuji has shot themselves in the foot with the 9000/9500. We all expected so much, so come on all you Fuji fans, we are disappointed. I really believed the hype (this time). I firmly believe there's a lot of Fuji fans out there who have bought the 9000 and will, tho' disappointed, stick with the 9000 waiting for the next incarnation. Please, I hope I've not hurt anyones feelings. LOL. Oh I really did give the 9000 a REALLy good testing on a trip to Singapore, Hong Kong, Sydney NSW Australia and New Zealand. 10 to 12 seconds for a RAW file to hit the card. FRUSTRATING to say the least. I could go on. TOO much incamera processing. Anyway whatever camera you have ENJOY that's what it is all about. CARLTON
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:15 AM   #38

carlton wrote:
Quote:
I've been a fuji fan for a long time. ENOUGH!!!. I think fuji has shot themselves in the foot with the 9000/9500. We all expected so much, so come on all you Fuji fans, we are disappointed. I really believed the hype (this time). I firmly believe there's a lot of Fuji fans out there who have bought the 9000 and will, tho' disappointed, stick with the 9000 waiting for the next incarnation.
Well Carlton, I reckon you can put your spoon away now and brace yourself - Ihave my money on who will be the first Defender of the Faith to respond!:-):-):-)

All jokes aside,maybe it's morea case that you'vearrived at the prosumer/DSLR watershed and are readyto move on.In my caseI'm still walking the road you've already travelled and the 9500 is my next logical stepping stone.Maybe I'llalsoend up with a DSLR at some stage,maybe not.

Are you going to post some shots from your travels?

Steve
Old Nov 23, 2005, 7:45 AM   #39

Let me throw some more petrol on this smoldering pile here.....
For me the S9500 was/is a DSLR killer, I could have walked out of the local camera shop with either the Pentax IstDs or the Olympus E300 for a fraction more than I paid for the Fuji. I weighed up the pros and cons of having a complete lens setup vs the DSLR's necessity for additonal lenses later on, having a movie mode to capture the kids having fun outdoors and still have the shutter speeds/aperture settings and likewise features of a DSLR for when something creative crops up. That's besides the 9mp resolution that these other cameras lacked.
My only gripe would be the huge raw file size, but to be honest the jpeg's at the 9mp fine setting are hardly any different to my eyes so I may not miss this option.
Having had a 3x optical zoom on my previous camera I've had to adjust to being extra steady when doing zoomed shots, it's all to easy to get a soft picture with any kind of shake, my first reaction to my shots were to blame the camera for being too soft. Once you set for the fastest shutter speed you can manage everything is suddenly 'wow' factor again.
Very please with my decision to buy the S9500, considering I initially went to the shop to buy the S5600!
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 9:16 AM   #40

Have to agree with Spyder..
I was on that same boat... the S9500 is the best cam for me at this point and a logical step from my minolta 4mp 4x zoom.

I am very very happy with it!
Nefius is offline   Reply With Quote