Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:46 PM   #1

Review up - pretty good one it is too.
Tim1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:28 PM   #2

Hi,

I already tried to explain that the S9000/'S9500 doesn't have the performance of the F10.

You can read this in the review of preview (on the page below)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...000/page10.asp

Regards Peter
pana2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:53 PM   #3

Oh well... Parts of the reviewcopied from older ones, some annoying mistakes all over,but all in all - quite informative and fair.

... I really wonder how theymeasured card(s) speed to get"CF is slower than XD" - having them both installed in my S9500, I can say just the opposite.

x7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 7:13 PM   #4

X,

Finally, I can clearly see the differences between the noise levels...and I've read(I'd like to think)all the reviews out there.

*Can you use both the XD and CF at the same time? - deciding where to store the images/videos?

Cheers
cybrosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 8:28 PM   #5

I found the review tainted with built-in editorial politeness toward various manufacturers.

The review shows everyone how the S9000 fails to compete against the low end DSLR's. Especially with a 1.4 lens on the DSLR. Who is kidding who?

Why doesn't the review conclude:

" For $600 you can get a 28-300 mm fixed lens camera, running on AA batteries, that matches a Canon Rebel with a prime 1.4 lens on lt, upto ISO 400.

Remarkable. Highly recommended. "

The review suggests that you could settle for alot more noise by buying the cheaper competition of fixed lens cameras.

Since when a review actually suggests a problem with the camera is that it ismore expensive than the competition when the camera "creams" all of the "competition"?

It seems to me thatDPReviewhas finally fallen under the same pressure placed on Print Photographic Magazines, who can notoffendAdvertizers or Willing Manufactrers whoprovideproduction models for review. The S9000 review on DPReview is a good example of "Photographic Correcteness".

P.S. I have no problem with other posted S9000 reviews.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 11:07 PM   #6

Pity that DP Review in the Body & Design sectionof the review appear confused - theydescribe the 5500/5100 lense,not the9000 they are reviewing!

Silly copy mistake I'm sure.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:34 AM   #7

idiottoys.com has a review on the Fuji Z2. I'm waiting for them to do the review on the S9000:-)

http://www.idiottoys.com/2005/10/fin...or-ladies.html
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:02 AM   #8
E.T

x7497 wrote:
Quote:
... I really wonder how they¬*measured card(s) speed to get¬*"CF is slower than XD" - having them both installed in my S9500, I can say just the opposite.
Remember that speed depends greatly on how well card and camera work together...

For example with my camera Kington's basic CFs are one the fastest cards but with Kingston Elite Pro CF writing speed would be very slow, practically useless. Same with Sandisk, newer Extreme III cards works considerably slower than older Ultra II. (these might now change somewhat because there's new firmware coming out in this month which improves writing speeds)

So it's not so simple, you would have to know exact type of card and even camera's firmware version for equal comparison.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:32 AM   #9

Naaaah... People! forget the mistakes and typos - this is what Simon's review is all about:

"That said, it's more of a photographic tool than 99% of the fixed-lens cameras on the market, and does offer about as close an experience as possible to using a DSLR without actually being one." -

... Thus, comparing noise levels with 50mm f1.4 lens on Rebel XT is –ĺkay, but not perfect - I really look forward to see some comparative crops from EOS-1 MK IIusing IS lens at ISO 100 and Fuji S9500 at ISO 1600, handheld. An ultimate test, making even the bizzar Russian guy on videozona.ru happy. :G

x7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:35 AM   #10

Hello x7497 and All,

Your quote:

"Naaaah... People! forget the mistakes and typos - this is what Simon's review is all about:

"That said, it's more of a photographic tool than 99% of the fixed-lens cameras on the market, and does offer about as close an experience as possible to using a DSLR without actually being one." -

This statement by Simon indicates the S9000 is a"Highly Recommended" camera, how did he rate it only as "Recommended"?

As a user of the S9000, and having posted real life images from it,don't let one review scare you off this camera. Read the other reviews on the WWW.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote