Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:04 AM   #1

Hello All,

I tried some nature shots with my new S9000.

I posted them as full size ( 8 1/2" x 11" 300 dpi, Jpeg, level 8) as you may want to print one to see what the S9000's color, resolution, PF, etc., looks like in print.

Shot in Raw, converted to 50mb Tiff. resized to 8 1/2 x 11 3000 dpi.
In PS CS, Auti Color, Auto Levels, Shadow Highlight to bring out the shadows a bit more.
Very slight sharpening with Focus Magic.

#3 was at 300 mm, with flash on. Image is a +50% crop of original.

#2's fisherman was quickly touched to render the fisherman asun-identifiable.

#4 was shot wth the 10 second self-timer with my camera held way over my head on my tripod with one leg and the column fully extended ( about 8' over my head.) I used the tilt LCD to make sure the water was level, and took a few shots until I liked my composition.

This type of shooting is alot of fun as long as you don't drop your tripod.

I hope you find these printed images interesting and of value in your evaluating the S9000:

http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/932487

I look forward to your comments.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:01 PM   #2

nice photos Nick, I would agree that the tilt LCD is a feature that most don't think as being a major bonus but I have also found it really givesme options on taking photos with different perspectives. for example in taking landscape type shots i can hold the camera in front of me about waist level (similar to how cameras in the early 1900s were used), this allows a much more stable hold on the camera than trying to hold it steady at eye level.

i should have some new photos posted on my smugmug tomorrow night, as I am taking the s9000 to one of the most challenging photography events, an air show!
newdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:10 PM   #3

Hi Newdiamond,

I am sure we are all waiting for your smugmug posts, I never went to an air show.

Will be looking for your pics,

Good shooting, Nicholas
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:26 PM   #4

Hey Nick,

I just got the S9000 today. It's the camera DSLR(s) hate the most.

I have to agree with you, I just can't stop taking pictures.I'm spoiled with all the bells and whistles it gives me.

Oh, one negative comment, how come everytime I look into the viewfinder, I only see the $ sign? It's a money making camera.:-)

Fujiincludes in the packagethat girlie tullip lens shade, I threw it away, hooked up the Mamiya on, looks more macho, more intimidate, threw away the manual too.

All non dedicated flash, Sunpak 383, Vivitar 283, 285 (the old version high voltage ones) work well with this camera. The internal flash is quite capable. I love the manual zoom, zoom in and out is fast and smooth. For veterans of 35mm film, they have no problem using this camera, for point and shooters, they will soon learn the wonderful world of manual settings.

I will mess around with this camera for while then go down to my local Fuji lab discussing with theowner what kind of prints I can get, what is the lattest trend, what sell what don't, how to set it to matchhis machine for big games, weddings, quincenada...

Keep posting your pictures, you have a unique style, I don't have anything to post, mine are blury and noisy anyway.:-)
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:08 PM   #5
Super Moderator

hey guys..

i am looking to pick up one of these bad-boys as a backup to my 20d when i want to cover 28-300 without having to bring all my lenses.. and when the added dof of a smaller sensored digicamis needed for some landscape work.. (translation: i want a new toy to play with)..

just wondering what your initial impressions areas far as responsiveness.. i am spoiled by my 20ds instant on and non-existant shutter lag.. so i am hoping the s9000 is at least good.. i would guess turn on time is quite short since the zoom is mechanical.. but how is shutter lag?

how about write times... how much does shooting RAW slow it down?

thanks for the examples!

----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 12:07 AM   #6

You ask the right question.The Canon 20D is one of my favorite DSLR, you need a second body like the Fuji S9000, Fuji new chip, to give youan alternetivecolor, Canon 20D pairs with Fuji S9000 you have an invicible system, in real life shootout the S9000 will cover your 20D at the most vulnerable time, when you change lens, you do with care avoid the risk of dust getting into your camera, the weakness of any DSLR, the S9000 is compact, help you move fast, the 20D will help youwith rapid fire. Let me prove it.

Pick awedding scenerio, you use the 20D as a primery camera, but when you change lens, this process slows you down, others can get in and take over your shot, instead you have the S9000 at a ready mode to take control.

Anytime you are invited to a wedding, take with you a video camera, shoot the wedding photographer. At home when viewingthe video, you see how slow the photographer move with his DSLR, look again when he change lens, he is vulnerable right there, view it in slow motion.

Use the S9000 to shoot b&w, or the other way around with the 20D, you can flip flop back and forth. Look around, most pictures posted on the web are color, you have one camera for b&w, you have the edge.

See, on paper, DSLR(s) beat prosumer cameras spec by spec, but that's half of the picture you see, in real life it's the other half you have to watch out, guys with prosumer camera can move fast, think about a Honda civic and a lexuson a busy side street. When talking about DSLR system, you need a second body to make it a complete package.

You will love the bells and whistles of the S9000, sure it's a real bad boy, that's the right term.

Youmade the right decision to buythe D20 instead of the Rebel.:-)

Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:37 AM   #7

Hello Coldshot, Dustin and All,

Good shooting with your new camera Coldshot.

Does the Mamiya shade permit you to shoot wide open? I am still reading the manual. There are alot of fuctions on the S9000.

I still have to try Walgreens for some shots as they have a Fujifilm one hour photo system. I want to see if their Fuji "knows" my Fuji S9000, regarding image rendition.

Dustin,

Raw locks the camera for about 7 to 8 seconds. Better than my F-828. This is the only draw back to this camera.

Shooting Jpeg is fast, you will not wait for writing times.

Handling, Speed, Focusing, Color is the best I have used on a Non-DSLR camera. ( The S9000 color is fantastic, my images are three demensional, something I have only seen with my S9000 ).

Please check out my Halloween Parade shots on anther thread. This group did not stop to pose for me. I was shooting rings around the three photogs that were using DSLR's, and my S9000 enabled me to get overhead shots I know they did not capture.

I was thinking to get the Sony R-1 when it comes out and keep my S9000 as a back-up. After a month with the camera I am thinking of buying another S9000 as a back-up to my S9000 and to forget the R-1.

Regards, Nicholas

Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:40 AM   #8

Hi Nick,

The Mamiya lens hood gets in the way at wide zoom, I just collapse it , normally I don't shoot at that wide open.You use the lens shade to coverthefilters on the S9000, that's your secret, you don't want anybody to know what you put onbetween thelens and the lens hood.

Before you go down to Walgreen photo lab, call the technician and ask how he wants you to process your pictures at home , lightly, a few color adjustment, some brightness/darken, can you crop, or do nothing at all, leave the rest for him...get to know the main operator there, ask him to do your pictures mannually.

Hey Nick, you want to buy the R1? Are you kidding? What do you do with that handicap 5X zoom? It's just a big pray and shoot camera with a big sensor. You'll have hard time to sell the R1 when you get tired of it, but I'm sure you won't sellyourbad toy S9000:-). Save the money and have fun with your new camera, buy a Corsair CF card to see how it perform, just the name Corsair itself sounds very good, you know, the bad guys of the Carribean sea, other brand name cards selling in the stores are boring.

DSLR camera makers are beating each other to death for supremecy, let them do that, wait for the winner and buy.