Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:08 AM   #11

I think you are right in saying it doesn't really matter what you use - I remember somebody very knowledgeable on the subjectgoing into the technical details a while back and it seemed there really wasn't much need to go the circular route - linear is fine for most of our needs. That was literally a day or so after I'd just forked out for a circular polarizer! Never mind, it looks the part if nothing else and I have worked out how to use it, whichtook a while

Hope I've got the story right - if not, perhaps somebody can correct it.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 12:21 AM   #12

ok..so it means that there is not much of a difference between a Linear and a circ polarizer....i mean in the picture quality.....so i think lets save some bucks and go for the linear one...

can someone post some pics of S5600 with the polarizer...

thanks

karim
aakarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:16 AM   #13

aakarim - There's absolutely no difference in picture quality between circular or linear polarizers, they just do their jobs in different ways. I've posted a number of outdoor shots on other threads in this forum; most of them were taken through an Optex linear polarizer. Allpolarizers block light to some degree, so they'll cost you an f-stop or two.

Unless you own a DSLR or a camera that you know has a phase-detection AF system, it makes no sense to buy a circular polarizer - they tend to cost about three times as much as a linear.

The lens cap of my S5200 fits onto the filter perfectly, no need to buy another one.

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 7:23 AM   #14

Hi JP, Thanks for your reply which I don't think is cynical at all. There is a lot of common sense & wisdom in what you have said concerning a 5500to 9500 move and I have to admit that I too have more than a little consumer vanity at work within in my wanting the 9500! I get a lot out of my 5500 and it has taught me plenty (and still does). I can't understand why it doesn't receive more laurels than it does. I have not spoken to one person, user & sales person alike, who does not think that it is a great product and perfect for someone wanting to get into DP. Will never get rid of mine.

Notwithstanding, still want the manual zoom & focus & resolution of the 9500! One day soon I hope, funds permitting.

Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote