Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:24 AM   #1

what sort of polarizer would be best for the fuji s5600/5200

can someone post pics of both if they produce any different from each other..what the heck is the difference between them anyways?????

thanks

Karim -
aakarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:52 AM   #2

Filters need to be 55 mm in diameter. I don't know if it's the same on the 5200, but the lens cap that comes with the 5100 will not fit if there is a filter on the lens. I had to purchase a second lens cap for that purpose.

As far as the difference between the 5200/5600 is concerned, no difference in the camera and its features. The 5200 is sold in the U.S. only, and the 5600 is sold everywhere else in the world as far as I know.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:38 AM   #3

Hi JP, Did you have much of a problem finding a cap? The filter I'm using doesn't have much 'meat' on the rim to clip on to and I haven't found a cap suitable yet.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:52 PM   #4

I just went to the local Ritz camera store and purchased a 55 mm lens cap, and it worked just fine. My filters were one of those "specials" that was offered from the place where I got the camera. Actually, I haven't used the filters very much. But the lens cap has worked. I don't know if my filters are any different from yours.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 2:38 PM   #5

I have a 55mm UV filter and a 55mm lens shade on my S5600. The lens cap fits perfectly into the lens shade, which is rubber and rolls up when not in use. The camera store I shop at has drawers of used lens shades, UV filters and lens caps that they sell cheap. Never had a problem with them.

Erick

http://www.pbase.com/yarnspnr/fuji_s5200_gallery
Yarnspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 2:46 PM   #6

JP

Using Kenko UV & circ polarizer - the latter's only just OK for the Fuji cap but can't find anything decent for the UV and it's theUV I'm wanting to keep on permanently - have to keep on hunting.

How do you find your 5100/5500 - I've followed your various posts and you seem quite enthusiastic about it, as I am with mine.Seems to be quite aneglected camera on this forum - don't think I've read one complaint about it which must say something about it's quality? Have you had any thought of upgrading to the 9500 - I'm wanting to do this,mainly for the manual zoom & focus. I'm finding the electronic focus a bit clumsy now, especially in macro mode.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:11 PM   #7

I bought my 5100 back in April of this year. We were getting ready to go to Alaska, and my "trusty" Pentax Optio 550 was making some strange noises when I turned it on to make sure it was going to be ready for the trip. So I bought the 5100 because it was cheap, and because there was an additional $50 rebate offered. It performed very well on the trip. My other camera was a 5 MP. My daughter used it on the trip. Noises or not, it worked OK. When we got home and compared photos from the two cameras, I felt that the Fuji outperformed the Pentax. So I have been quite happy with it. I have been tempted to get a 9000 because the higher resolution appeals to me. And it has a number of other features that I would like to have. But money is kind of tight for us right now, and I start thinking about the reality of things and I'm not sure I can justify it. It's kind of like when I get a new computer, or some new computer component, that is supposed to really enhance the performance. I turn the thing on and test it. The new feature works, the computer really is faster, it really does perform better, etc.. And then I just go back to doing the same things I was doing before. I'm thinking that if I buy the 9000 I will have the same kind of experience. Yes, it really is higher resolution. It really is nice to have external flash capabilities. And it really is nice to have the manual zoom. And then I would probably just go back to taking the same kind of pictures I'm taking now. And the 5100 is doing an excellent job for me. The 5100 is a forgotten camera. It's obsolete! It's old news. And I think all the camera companies take advantage of our "need" to have the latest and the best because we think it will make us the best. I probably will upgrade someday, but I'm not in a hurry to do so because my old, obsolete, measly 4 MP is doing just about everything I need right now. And it doesn't cost anything to NOT upgrade. Kind of a cynical point of view, I know.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 8:31 PM   #8

The S5100 is a reliable camera, I put it in the trunk of my car during the last two summers and it still working fine.

Most of us in this forum have the old Fuji S series, S5100, S7000... they are slow by today's standard but are wonderful cameras to keep, especially AA batteries is now up to 2700 ma. capacity. One the way to upgrade is to use your existing Fuji camera, go to your local high school or college to shoot sport games, pick your favorite game to attend, enjoy the game at the same time take pictures, don't worry about shutter lag, you are not shooting for magazines, it's digital camera, you can delete the bad shots anyway, the money making shots are the group shots you ask them to do after the game, shoot black and white, give you more artistic contrast and they love it, fujicamera give you beautiful black and white shots, at home when printing you only deal with one color, black ink, you don't waste the other colors. If you're good at post processing in PS it's give you more advantage. Then bring the pictures to the next game and show to the team, they love to have the pictures of their classmates together, they will order some copies, youfigure the basic cost to and make a small profit. They want bigger than letter size, go to the photo lab.

At the beginning it's just to stimulate your photography hobby by shooting fast moving subjects, sport, get into the action rather than the boring shotsin the backyard, gradually you get to know the two teams against each other, and they recognize you too, they'll need your pictures. Every dollar save is an addition to your pocket, one thing leads to another, even you save 1/4 or 1/2 to buy your next camera is much better than spend full money out of your bank account, especially the feeling is better too, in return you have a chance to sharpen you photography skill, enjoy your favorite sport and make some money.

Shall we mix business with pleasure? Why not. Other hobbists do,aquarium fish, song birds...
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:45 PM   #9

Whatever.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 4:05 AM   #10

Iuse an old 55mm Optex linear polarizer on my S5200, and it works just fine. It doesn't seem to affect the camera's AF system at all.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" I've read that all digital cameras need the more-expensive circular polarizers, but that's apparently true only for cameras that use a phase-detection type of AF system commonly found on DSLRs. The S5200/5600, like most compact digicams, uses a contrast-detection system which doesn't care what kindof polarizer you use.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote