Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 4, 2005, 3:54 AM   #1

Hi all of you that have S9000 / S9500s, I have some questions for RAW:

1. At the moment I am converting RAW to TIFF in Finepix and then opening TIFF in GIMP, do I lose any info/quality going to TIFF?

2. How do I get the image information of a RAW image (camera settings etc).

3. How do I get rid of the tiny image in the top left hand corner of a RAW image converted to TIFF?

In addition, any advice on how to better manage RAW images and TIFFs would be much appreciated.

Ta!

Ben.
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:42 AM   #2

I don't have the 9000. I'm still using my 5100, and probably will for the foreseeable future. I don't think you are losing any quality in converting your raw images to tif images. But you are losing the flexibility that comes from using a real raw converter that allows you to manipulate the image before you save it. Personally, I like using Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw. The only problem is, it doesn't support the 9000/9500 yet. But I know that they are working on it. You might consider doing a Web search for S7Raw. The latest version of this converter will allow you to work on the images from your camera. In my opinion, it's kind of clumsy, but it is much better than just converting your images to tif like you are doing now. The program is free, and can be readily downloaded. If you look in some of the other threads in this forum that deal with raw images, you will find a link to an online tutorial that will help you understand how to use the program.

I don't know how to relate to your "tiny image" question. I have never seen that so I don't know what it is.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:21 PM   #3

Don't worry. It won't be there when you print.
I get it with the S7000.

Tink.

Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:29 AM   #4

Ah but it is there when I print it - thats the problem. What is it? You cant just select it and delete it, in fact the only way round it is to crop it out.
benji is offline   Reply With Quote