Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 5, 2005, 4:56 AM   #1

Well folks having had my S9500 for 4 weeks I have to report the following. After doing a large number of test shots. I was certain that all was not well with my new camera. I was doing comparison shots with my 6 month old S5500 and it became appartant the the S9500 results were in a lot of cases a lot worse than the S5500.

The main issues revolved around Focus/resolution and colour. Anyway I decided to contact Fuji support direct rather than trying to deal with Dabs notorious system.

The guy at Fuji could not have been more helpful. I explained what I felt was wrong and he asked all the right questions I told him which camera I used as a comparison and he said "I guess you don't know anyone else with a S9500 so If I do some test shots and send them could you do a comparison with those" I assusered him that this would be a good idea.

The CD arrived next day and it was obvious that my Camera was not up to scratch all most immeadiately. I get straight on to Fuji again and initiated the warrenty return process with them. My camera is now on its way to the for examination and hopefully repair or replacement.

The interesting bit is last night at my photographic club. I mentioned to a fellow member who works for a well known photographic chain and they were not surprised at the issues I mentioned.

It appears that not only are Fuji aware of these problems but they had to recall an entire batch of UK cameras early on in the launch process. When I quoted my serial number it was confirmed that this was indeed from the group with known problems. The fault was explained to meas being some sort of issues with layers on the CCD either missing or not correctly installed (not having a clue how a CCD is made I do not understand what this means).

So folks if you are not convinced with your new purchase give Fuji a ring as they do appear to take any complaints seriously which does at least reassure me a little.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:21 AM   #2

So why don't Fuji issue a general statement giving the serial numbers of the batch of cameras that were found to be faulty. Or are they just hoping that less knowledgeable users will not notice that there is anything wrong with their purchase, and the fault can be quietly forgotten?

Suggest you also postyourmessage on the DPReview Fuji forum where it will probably get more widely seen.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 7:09 AM   #3

I hhave no idea Martin maybe what you suggest is true! I have be honest I was always sure there was something wrong with my camera but when I showed test shots to friends who are only casual camera users they did say they thought I was been overly picky and that the pictures looked OK to them.

Thanks for the DPReview suggestion
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:09 AM   #4

Hi Andy - hope you come right with your problem. It would be helpful if you posted the serial no of your camera for the benefit of other users. There is another threadon this forum somewhere, alsolisting serial numbers.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:22 AM   #5

Hello Steve

It all sound positive from Fuji so far so I hope it all ends well. Serial number is

53Q04035 if this is of any help to anyone
Old Nov 5, 2005, 9:15 AM   #6

The web is full of user reports, that in the end, were foundto be due to the user's error.

The s9000 is a complicated tool, which I am still learning how to use.

Such blanket reports shold not discourage readers from evaluating the S9000.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:19 PM   #7

I also have a S9500 from the original Dabs deal, serial No 53Q04673. I have also carried out many, manytests directly comparing each with my E550 under a host of different conditions. My conclusion is that the resolution of the S9500 is typically slightly higher than the E550 (often only very marginal using 12 meg setting) colours and exposure generally OK. I can detect some minor softening of the image in the extreme corners. The focus is usually accurate but not quite as reliable as the E550. This does not apply in low light, however, here the assist lamp makes a vast improvementin favour ofthe S9500. I find that ISO 400 performance is very similar to that of the E550 (i.e. not bad but I hoped for an improvement here). I always use my E550 at the 12 Meg fine setting and find that the quality is exceptionally good and very like 35mm film.

Although my serial number is quite close to andy lee's camera I think that my S9500 is OK. I know that the E550 is an exceptional compact camera and I suppose that I should not expect too much more (notwithstanding Fuji's hype over high ISO noise)!

Does anyone have the list of serial numbers in the batch described as faulty orknow if my serial number is within it as all of these problemsare worrying??

Tony

Ps: I am using some 2600 MAH batteries called Fujicell (no connection I suspect) and I achieved a very long life from the first charge (actual photos not counted though). As these cost only £4.99 for 4 from an ebay seller I can highly recommend them.
tony1620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 2:48 PM   #8
AWT

Why don't we select some everyday object and post indoor flash shots of it in this thread to do immediate comparisons?
AWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 4:44 PM   #9

Nick I'm not saying its a bad camera far from it. But when I'm told that Fuji withdrew an entire batch of cameras then there must be something more than "User Error"

My camera was faulty end of debate if nigh on identical shots from an S5500 were quantifiably better than those from the S9500 then there was something wrong. I was informed fo a specific fault with a batch of cameras this does not mean every one out there is broken just that people do need to be made aware that there is a possibility that the camera they have is not 100% and when I pay £400 for something I tend to want 100% or as close as possible to that.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 6:15 AM   #10

Andy, I've started a thread below to get actual information on 9500 returns - would you mind posting yourexperience on it. Done the same on DP Review site and so far there are reports of fourcameras being returned for various reasons but nothing so far on this site.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16

No sinister purpose to the exercise other than to getsomehard facts in the face of growingmurmurings & accusations (often vague)about the camera.

Don't blame you for returning yours and you did right in making buyers aware of this possible issue of a bad batch.

Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote