Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:51 AM   #91

I have been using my S7000 in my studio for the past 2 years with fine results

my S9500 had poor sharpness, contrast and difficult to focus

I returned it to the shop... here in Thailand... and after 3 weeks they told me Fuji was nearly finished repairing it...

hoping to see some improvements when it comes back

the 7000 and my fuji M603 gave cleaner sharper pix than the 9500

they must have a problem that they can repair...(replace the sensor?)

looks like the E900 has the same sensor....no report of bad ones yet..?
fabianfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 1:45 PM   #92

Fabian, when you get your camera back be sure to ask them whyyour brand new camera needed a three week repair job - ie specifically, what exactly was the fault? Can't believe that so many new cameras havereportedly beenreturned for "repair" and not one owner, to my knowledge at least,has asked what the problem was.

If my brand new 'out of the box' camera needed a repair job a) I'd be hammering down the door to find out what the problem was and b) I wouldn't accept anythingless than a newreplacement,together withthe explanation of what was wrong with the original.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:57 PM   #93

Why does it take Fuji THREE weeks to repair a new camera? Do they have such a large backlog of of s9k's waiting for 'repairs', or do they have to wait for replacement parts - for a new camera ???!!! But then, of course, thereare no problems with s9k cameras - the FDD(Fujifilm Denial Department) have told us so!
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:24 PM   #94

I'm a bit miffed today tosay the least. My long looked forward to and first S9500 was purchased in November. the 8th I rhink. I was really pleased with the camera in every way except that I found that images were not as crisp and clear as I would have hoped. I put it through a test by trying different shutter speeds and apetures. exposure compensation, multi, area and spot, ISOs, macro, super macro, wide angle, telephoto . . . . Perhaps not a professional, clinical trial but simply based on how I hoped to use it. I also compared tripod, 2 second and 10 second timer with a whole load of settings against my S5500 (which cost me around £200). The S5500 was simply producing better results although it lacks many of the S9500's features. The camera also had two quite annoying blown pixels on the EVF. I also happenned to come accross this site at that time. I telephoned Fudgie and was amazed at being told that they hadn't had a S9500 fault reported at all and asked to post them some pics. My retailer who had heard of focusing issues with this camera happily exchanged it, although I had to wait a few days for one to be sent by courier from another branch. I exchanged it on 22nd November. My retailer has a thirty day exchange or refund policy.

Since then I haven't had a great deal of opportunity to try it out fully. I've also read the threads here and considered the user error theory, which I'm sure is/can be true of any camera like this. I've gotten to know the camera a little more and have worked around some issues I was having with it. Yesterday I took about 100 pics of a local rock band playing in our town centre. I tried a few different modes, but more using apeture and shutter priority. I thought I had some nice captures. All were absolutely useless and beyond even Photoshop. It was a brightish Winters day. I then realised I had the ISO set to 100. I wondered whether this was the problem and put it down to user error, hoping my second longed for S9500 wasn't at fault. However, I felt that the S5500 would have coped better. Then I read JPhess's post and felt myself agreeing to a degree. I tried a few tripod tests at home pretty much as before and was fairly pleased with the results.

This afternoon I took another 100 shots or so of the mist rising over the River Thames and various other landscapes. I got home and downloaded from my XD cards and was feeling ok ish with the results . . . .

THEN . . . ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!!!! I noticed a blown pixel showing as a small white spec on all my pics. It is there on my EVF and LCD. I've tried taking pics with my lens cap on and this shows just how ghaslty they are. There are two!!! Although only one shows up prominently on the images.

I shall be telephoning Fuji in the morning and will raise all I can with them and try and get some answers. I am also hoping that my retailer will honour the thirty day exchange or refund policy, asalthough I made my original purchase on 8th November, I exchanged it on the 22nd November.

I have considered the DSLR route but the Nikon D70s is just right outta my budget if I consider a decent wide range lens aswell. I'm not keen on any other makes around the S9500's price mark. So what to do???? I feel let down and left feeling flat.

I'm going to try and get it exchanged again and hope for third time lucky. I wonder whether my store will have any in stock or whether they will have to order one and how long that will take. . . . . .

If Fuji try telling me "There are no reported problems or faults with th S9500/S9000 Sir" again! or give me anything less than a sympathetic, understanding and an extremely helpful bend over backwards response, then I am declaring outright war with them. And this time the little guy is gonna win!

The look forward to and then let down factor, topped with denial sauce quite frankly stinks like a chinese jock strap, cooked in chip fat on a greasy day.

BAH HUMBUG!!!!!!!

Watch this space.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:01 AM   #95

Good Luck Syd - be very interested to see what sort of feedback you get and I hope you do persist. As I said earlier, I just cannot believe the amount of replacement/repair/refunds that have apparently taken place without any specific explanation being demanded of the supplier or Fuji themselves.This leads me to draw one of two possible conclusions : i) There is an element of exaggerated reportingor worse,disinformation(unlikely since such reports have generally been S/N specific) or ii)Fuji customersareunusually apathetic consumers.I'm not sure which oneisthe lesser oftwo evils.

Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:03 AM   #96

UPDATE

I spoke to my retailer this morning. The manager wasn't there today but spoke to a very nice helpul lady. When I mentioned the problem of blown pixels showing up on images she was very sympathetic and offered to exchange it. They have them in stock and have put one by for me.

As soon as I mentioned the S9500 she knew of problems that others have had with this problem. Another customer is also on his third with apparently focusing and exposure issues. She also told me that blown pixel issues were not a common problem with other cameras.

Now I am about to telephone Fujifilm . . .

Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:09 AM   #97

Steve,

I've not really gone the mass hysteria route regards focusing and exposure issues with this one, especially reading the threads and hearing how many are loving this camera and getting really good results. I was going to give it more time and see how things developed on these issues. However, my complaint now is about the blown pixels appearing on the images less than four weeks into my replacement.

Having said that, I am just about to ring them and find out what I can from them. I will be quite persistent if need be.

Watch this space. . . .
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:04 AM   #98

Syd, I understand exactly where you're coming from - more or less where I am on the subject. One of the reasons I started this thread and others was to try and cut through thegeneralisation andemotion (albeit understandable in some instances) that was developing around the camera.

I do find it quite interesting though that there is a high reported incidence of units being replaced with apparently very little fuss fromthe supplier.As you've probably already gathered the incidence of blown pixels is not asgreat a reported issue as that offocus & exposure issues.

Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:23 AM   #99

:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O :O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O

O.K. I spoke to Fujifilm Customer Services and explained all to the chap I spoke with. He wouldn't commit himself to any comment but told me that he would get Jenny Hodge from the Press department to contact me. Being the impatient sod I am, I telephoned her directly. I explained the problems that I personally have had and regarding the denial that any faults have been reported with this camera line that was initially given to me. I explained the best I could how many people world wide were experiencing problems and that some were on their third replacement. I explained that others had had theirs returned and were now working fine, but that we were not being given any form of service report or any idea as to what the problem was. I have offered them lists of serial numbers, told them about this thread and DPreview's thread. She told me that they are aware of the DP threads regarding this model.

She was extremely helpful and curtious and has promised me that she will be taking the whole matter up with the Service and Marketing department's managers and investigating the matter fully. I need to e-mail her with my details so as she can keep me informed of the progress of their investigations.

I tried my best to articulate and put accross the frustration that many are feeling. I also added that I recognise that faults happen, but that what was more concerning was the denial aspect here and that perhaps some may loose faith in Fujifilm. I also explained that I felt generally people were very happy with Fujifilm per se, but on the issue of the S9500 many were feeling let down.

Again, she has promised me a full investigation and that I will be kept informed. I did explain that I felt enough momentum was mounting to the point that I felt that if Fujifilm didn't respond and try to resolve all this, it could seriously affect their sales and reputation. She positively took this on board.

In short I did get a bend over backwards response to be helpful on this matter. Let's see how things develop.

Watch this space . . .

In the meantime, for UK customers who have had similar problems, perhaps you would like to email Jenny Hodge - [email protected]Please bear in mind that she really was sympathetic and tells me that she wants to get to the bottom of this as much as we do. I suggest also that we hold off on our feelings for the moment and let's give them a chance to investigate all this and respond.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:44 AM   #100

Steve, I am with you all the way on this. I agree we need to get to the bottom of the focusing/exposure issues people are apparantly experiencing and Fujifilm are apparantly correcting. If the response isn't as forthcomming as we'd like I think we may need to take a more official/formal approach. Let's see what they say.

Well, I'm off in a short while to go and get my second replacement. I will of course feed back how it all goes. I know I'm not the first or last to have the blown pixel issue which is really annoying. At least it is a very identifiable and tangible problem. Seems it's more likely to be a sensor problem than LCD or EVF as it shows up horrendously on all images. Perhaps it's dust or whatever getting inside, but I keep mine meticulously clean and away from dust. Even so you would expect to use the camera in most environments otherwise it isn't fit for the purpose it was sold. I wonder whether the blown pixel issue may escalate as time goes on. I hope not!

Watch this space . . .