Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 12, 2005, 6:11 AM   #101

THE LATEST!

Just about to step out the door to go and get my replacement and this arrived. . .

>>

Date: 12/12/05 11:18:52
To: Steve Jenkins
Subject: Re: Faulty S95500's (oops!)

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/HP_Owner/LOCALS~1/APPLIC~1/IM/Runtime/Skin/E2FEE5~1/ATTACH~1.GIF[/img]

Dear Steve

Many thanks for your email.One of our team will get back to you in the
near future.Thank you for taking the time to let us know about these
issues.

Best wishes,
Jenny

Watch this space . . .
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:06 AM   #102

Nice work Syd, althoughterms such as'one of our team' & 'near future' suggest the onset of a fudge, me thinks.I'm surprised that you haven't been advised (yet) to get with it& edit out your pixel blemishes with PP

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:34 AM   #103

Don't worry I wont let them get away with a fudge.

O.K. Just got back.

No dead/blown pixels showing on LCD or EVF except . . . that when I use the slowest shutter speed and have the ISO set to 200 withthe lens cap on, I can see one flary pixel that shows on the EVF just after the shot has just finished being taken. Viewed at 100 per cent there are about five or so showing up on the image. One in particular is worse than the others. But they do only show at the very slowest shutter speeds. I shall now run it through the mill.

The lady at Jessops, my retailer, was extremely helpful. She toild me that they had had quite a few returned. She simply advised "Try it out at home and see what you think. Just bring it back if you have any more problems". They are doing some really good deals at the moment on DSLRs with free twin lens kits. The Nikon D50 with twin lens set was £459. Still, I'm not sure what I'll do yet until I have given this camera another chance.

In the meantime, I may draft a formal open letter of enquiry to Fujifilm and give the new replacement a good try out.

My stress levels regarding all this have subsided somewhat due to my experiences with Jessops and their honouring their exchange or refund policy. I also feel that should I have any more problems with the camera, I can always get it exchanged again, get my money back or buy another. I'm pleased that I chose to buy it from them.

Watch this space . . .
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:53 AM   #104

Sounds like you're dealing with some very reasonable people on the Retail side - good to know.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:54 AM   #105

Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:55 AM   #106

Here's a test of sorts.

The first pic is of my S9500 taken by my S5500 seton automatic with the flash and set to macro. I took three shots. Each one of them were crisp and clear.

The second shot is of my S5500 taken with my S9500,the best of 12 I had to take using the same flash and auto setting to get a similar result. The others were too full of camera shake and blurry.

This only difference I noticed after I took the shots were that the S9500 is set by default to ISO 200, and the S5500 is set to ISO 100.

I didn't use a tripod as this was just a quick point and shoot test.

I would be grateful for your comments. The exif data should come through with them both.

Both have been cropped but no editing whatsoever.

I do understand that the S9500 is more than just a point and shoot camera. But then the S5500 is also more than a point and shoot camera. Having said that both should be able to function effectively as one in auto mode!
Attached Images

Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:04 AM   #107

. . . and here's the on taken with my S9500 of my S5500 :?
Attached Images

Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:25 AM   #108

I can see what you are doing here. You are trying to convince yourself that the 9500 isn't a sharp as the 5500. And I don't think that is necessarily the case. The specular highlights on the 5500 are different, and the angle is just different enough that you cannot see as much of the lens barrel detail on the 5500.

Personally, I think that a better test would be to set up some sort of still life arrangement and make every effort to photograph that arrangement from as precisely the same angle and distance with both cameras and evaluate the results.

I think your camera is fine, but you are going to burn yourself out trying to decide if you are happy with the results from the 9500. If you can't just enjoy the camera then maybe it isn't the right choice for you. I have said this in other places, but I panicked when I first got my 9000. I think I was expecting miracles out of the camera. It was only when I was willing to slow down a little and really look at the images in Photoshop that I realized what I really have. Just something to think about, I guess.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:51 AM   #109

Points taken, however, here I really wasn't trying to convince myself of anything. As far as I'm concerned I'm prepared to give it a go. I have wondered the user error theory and am persisting, but what took me back for an exchange today were the faulty pixels showing up on the images. This is a real and tangible fault occuring.

I do intend to run a more thorough test, pretty much as you've advised. Not necessarily to compare or convince myself of anything other than that the camera is working as best it should be.

Any chance of seeing some of your unedited pics with the exif data embedded? And perhaps a run down of your editing process? I'm not asking for competition quality pics just a couple of test shots maybe. I quite like twigs and branches! :-)
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:51 AM   #110

I really don't have anything right now that I want to share. And the problem is, after I determined that the camera was okay, my daughter confiscated it and told me that I can't have it until Christmas. Some of the images that I like a little better than the others were taken in RAW mode, and there was significant editing done on those. So I'm afraid you will have to wait a couple of weeks before I have an opportunity to take some more pictures.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote