Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 13, 2005, 2:01 AM   #111

Hi Syd, Agree with JP to a point - it is a bit difficult to form an opinion on these two shots although to me the one taken with your 5500 seems altogether sharper, but that isa personal opinionbased on what I'm seeing on my screen.

More significant I think, is that you had to trash11 shots from the 9500 to get the one you posted -doesn't seem rightfor Auto mode.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:48 AM   #112

If you know someone with an A3 printer then you could try printing out this ISO 12233 test chart on photo paper.

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~wes...res-chart.html

Make sure it's flat and well illuminated and then try taking some pix of that.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 4:48 AM   #113

Welll.........latest update...

I got my S9500 back from repairs after over four weeks....

the repair slip said they replaced a 'card' in the camera...

got it home to my studio....just as bad as before.... cannot match the S7000 for sharpness...

very disappointed...

after Christmas I'll ring up the shop and say I either want a replacement camera...or my money back

I know this could be a good camera.... I've loved my 7000

meanwhile I took advantage of the low prices and got an Olympus E-1 with 14-54mm...

if I get my money back I may look at the Sony R1
fabianfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:37 PM   #114

Thanks for the feedback Fabian & sorry to hear you are apparently in no better a place with your 9500 (like one or two other people on this forum). The service slip sounds likeBS to me - "replaced a card" - must have been the ever presentJoker in the pack.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:23 PM   #115

I'm convinced that the sharpness issue, being either sensor or lens related, is also the prime cause of the auto-focus finding it hard to focus whether the assist light is set to work or not.

cure the sharpness and the focus will probably 'snap' in as it's supposed to
fabianfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:58 AM   #116

I think you're right Fabian - my personal feeling is that the 'bad ones' are sensor issue related and seemto be all within the 53Q & 53A serial number series.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:27 AM   #117

I am now starting to have a few concerns about my camera (Serial Number 53L01352) my pictures are not as sharp IMO as when it first came out of the box.

In addition, when I used the auto-focus is seems as if it is continous mode regardless of the setting. It appears to always be searching to get a lock on something to focus. Since I got the camera I was not impressed with the continous focus mode.

I think I am going to have to send it in to be checked out but their is nothing I can do until after the holiday season and a friend's wedding (on the 1st of Jan)....fingers crossed the camera does not decide to seize up!

I have not had the chance to go completely through this thread but has anyone experienced the same thing?
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:08 PM   #118

For those on this forum who have experienced issues with the Fuji S9000 or S9500, I feel your pain. I purchased the S9000 for my girlfriend as a Christmas present. She's been a long time Fuji user, has a degree in fine arts, and grew up in a dark room. The first 48 hours after taking this camera out of the box was a nightmare. With over 1000+ photos taken the first day, not one object in one photo taken was in focus. She posted messages on a different Web site's forum and of course was told that it had to be something she was doing wrong, received a lot of defensive replies from die-hard S9000 lovers, etc. I can tell you the people in that forum were not as nice and friendly as this group seems! A good friend of ours who makes his living as a photographer came over for lunch yesterday and played around with the camera for a while, took several photos, and he's convinced the thing is defective.

Steve.... for your database... the serial number is 53A54344.

We've spent so much time working that camera in every setting possible and done exhaustive research on the Web that we've become completed frustrated and ready to pull our hair out over this camera issue. We're so frustrated that we've decided to return the camera and just get something totally different. To make matters worse, the company I purchased the camera from wants a 25% restocking fee. I called Fuji only to have them ask crazy questions like "did you make sure to press the button half way to get the focus reading" and then to connect me to someone's voicemail.

I've read too many posts on various Web sites with different people experiencing the very same thing.I'm convinced the Fuji 9X00 has some duds out there and I hope Fuji takes a good look at this issue and gets it corrected before manufacturing more.

For those people who got a good Fuji right off the bat, congratulations. For those like us who ended up with one of the duds, Good luck!!

As far as us......the camera is going back....my girlfriend is getting a Sony now..... I learned a lesson as far as where to make my purchases in the future....and I'll just stick with my Nikon D70.

janetd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 1:49 PM   #119

Thanks for the Serial No Jan, unfortunately yours isbecoming an increasinglyfamiliar scenario. Of the serial numbers I've captured from this forum and others (people reporting both good & bad cams) a staggering 40% relate to discontent with the 9500. Granted some of these are genuine user error and the dissatisfied are more motivated to post than the satisfied, but notwithstanding this there are more & more experienced new ownersvoicing their reservations. At the very least it should perform well in Auto mode for the benefit of the novice -I cannot believe that the marketingdept in a corpthe size ofFuji, would not demand this as a prerequisite in theinitial design brief.Theirjob is to sell as manyunits as possible to recover initial capitalisation costs as quickly as possible and you can't do that in a limited niche market (bearing in mind that the 9500 was intended to be the ultimate bridge camera).

I firmly believe that truth 'will out' sooner or later (in one form or another) & then it will be interesting to see how many of thecurrent 'perfect' cameras suddenly develop a fault and are returned.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:40 PM   #120

Hi, Initial Citylink dropped off my S9500 this morning so i've spent plenty of time playing around with it in the snow today - Needless to say I am not impressed at all with the quality of images, as many others have reported mine also seems to suffer from poor focusing and seems to have an issue with the left side of the frame never being in focus with the rest of the image!
Add to this some 'hella' purple fringing on some images are really making me "think again" about my first fuji purchase!

I'll take some images later in 'side-by-side' with my old KM dimage Z3... Just waiting for batteries to recharge :-)

Oh and my no. is 54Q01071

//J
uglybob is offline   Reply With Quote