Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:01 AM   #141

What would you buy? I was going to get the S5200, then a member suggested I get the S9000, but after reading all the pages, I wonder if its wise to get the S9000, or play it safe and get the S5200? :?
Cwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:53 PM   #142

Depends I think, on what your expectations of the camera are, what you want to use it for and whether you enjoy post processing or not.

Haven't readany complaints about the 5200 and I know from personal experience that the 5100 is an excellent and very forgiving camera. I think it is common cause now that there have been bad 9500'sabout as well as obvious user error & inexperience issues, which has all served to confuseopinion from time to time.

Think if you go the 9500 route youdo soin the understanding that depending on your knowledge & expertise, you are likely tohave to go through a period of familiarisationandget your instrument rating (if you'll forgive the aviation analogy :G)before youcanexpect toproduce consistently good results. Don't know how you get around the potential for receiving one of the 'bad' cameras other than through trial & error - as many have done and who are now happy with what they have.

That's my take on the situation for what its worth.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:22 PM   #143

With so many, what seems to be defects, Has Fuji done a recall? A recall seems to be in order here.... I wanted to get a camera that I could grow with, I guess thats what you would call it. Ive only owned 1 other DC and it was a Fuji Finepix 1400Zoom, itsabout 5-6 years old and NEVER had a problems with it till I droped it once 2 many times...:roll:It still works at times...:-)I figured getting the S9000 then in a year or so, if not longer get into a DSLR. Could one expect some nice pictures with the S5200? I still rather get the S9000. I wonder if most of the bad ones are off the market? I wonder if Fuji has changed the way they are manufactured? or at least looking into all the problems that the S9000 is having. It seems like either you get a good one or a bad one right from the get go.:?
Old Jan 7, 2006, 6:45 PM   #144

Fuji haven't acknowledged there is a specific problem associated with this camera.........................

[align=center]YET![/align]
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:49 PM   #145

I wonder if I should wait and order the S9000, or just go ahead and get the S5200. I was going to place my order tomorrow 1/7, but Im on the fence at the moment. :roll:What should I do???I guess I'll sleep on it tonight and see what the ol mighty one tells me in my dream:-).....
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:23 PM   #146

My Fuji S-9000 has been very unpredictable. Many times the image is not sharp. In short, it is quite frustrating.

In contrast, my S-5200 has been very dependable. Not schockingly great by any means, but very consistent.

All in all, the S-9000 has been a real disappointment, while the S-5200 is at least consistent and very workable.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:56 AM   #147

I got an email back from the USA contact centre, which did not even go close to address the focus issue as far as I was concerned.

When I sent them an email stating I was having troubles with AF acting as if it was on contious AF regardsless of the setting and the soft focused pictures I have been getting this was their response.

"When the Finepix S9000 is set to the Anti-Blur mode, the camera will select a faster shutter speed to reduce camera shake and moving subject blur. This mode will assist you in obtaining sharper images. Make sure that the focus setting is on single autofocus. You can also attempt to reset the camera in the set up to try to resolve any bugs that the camera may have."

I have been getting soft images when using a tripod, timer and photographying stationary objects. Somehow I don't think that the anti-blur mode is going to help.

I have contacted the UK service dept and Mr Barker. I am just awaiting a reply. I will keep you posted.

PS I don't want anyone to get me wrong. I really like my S95000. I just want it to be able to take sharp images without having to do excessive post processing.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:11 PM   #148

I sometimes think they have a list of responses that they call up and cut & pastea response that seems closest to the enquiry. Bit like a FAQ list! Mind you in fairness, it must be difficult for some poor support guy to pretend to be an expert on a hundred and one different cameras:G
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:01 AM   #149

Hi guys,

Been in touch with fujitech who acknowlage that there is a problem, but the next day my supplier also got back to me willing to swap it outright.
AsI would rather have a new camera outright rather than a "bodged back toworking order" one (fine electronics never fix well!)

New s9500 comes tomorrow, willkeep youlot informed of how thisnew one turns out!

John
uglybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:13 AM   #150

Hey Ugly, thanks for that - try and push Fuji for what the problemwith the cam is,whilst the iron is hot. You do have a right to know and I'm sure a lot of others would like to know as well. Please ask them to be specific. Too many units have been replaced, no questions asked but with no explanantion of what the problem is.