Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 15, 2006, 6:27 AM   #191

Just took one at F8, it still looks blurred in the corners, not as bad as the shot i posted earlier this morning- They where both taken at 28mm (35equiv)

www.jml.net/~uglybob/DSCF0718.JPG

//john
uglybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:14 AM   #192

Hello John

As you say better but nowhere near perfect. I would guess that printed out at 6x4 or even 8x10 you would be hard put to spot it. If you have the time and inclination it might be worth trying at say 75-100mm focal length to see if it improves further.

I presume you understand what I am trying to achieve here. If you get the lens at its best it should give you an idea of how much of the fault is down to lens limitations and how much is down to "other" problems such as sensor alignment etc.

Onething I have discovered in the last few months is that all Zoom lenses have varying amount of issues with corner focus especially at the extremes of the zoom and the longer the zoom range the greater these issues are. Obviously the more expensive pro lenses are a hell of a lot better but you do get what you pay for and these sort of lenses cost many hundreds of pounds morethan the total cost of your entire camera.

The two lenses I use with my D50 cover a slightly longer range in total 18-300 but it does need 2 and all that it implies, however the focus is markedly better than the single lens on the Fuji.

The focus problems I had were more to do with it being uneven across the lens not just in the corners also the colour rendition was pretty dreadful at times. These faults were corrected to a large degree by Fuji but by then I had lost faith in the camera. Like yourself having had various other Digicams that worked ootb I just wanted my S9500 to be a camera that worked in this manner.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:39 AM   #193

Bob, you shot at maximum apeture at the widest angle. Have you compaired it to other 10x or more zooms capable of 28mm? I think you'll find you can't do any better with a 28-300 mm zoom unless you spend $1000 or so for the lens alone. You're expecting too much for a camera that costs less than $600 with these capabilities. I feel sorry for you. If you nit-pick every camera you buy this way you will never be satisfied. According to test reports the lens with this camera has better resolution than the kit lens that comes with the D50. If you are going to compare it with the Z3 do it with the s9000 set to 35mm since that's the best the Z3 can do.
tbcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:52 AM   #194

As an owner of the s9000 I can say that at 35mm or longer the corner to corner resolution is near perfect. That slight blurring at 28mm would not be noticeable in most photos. This guy is expecting multithousand dollar performance from a sub $600 camera.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:01 AM   #195

I don't believe there are that many faulty cameras out there. I believe that because of these forums and a few early duds that people are looking more closely at the results than they normally would and really nit-picking more than they do with other cameras. It's a psychological thing. Normally they overlook minor short comings but with this camera they are so afraid something will be wrong they are looking for every flaw they can find. I did the same thing with my s9000. Now I think, after 650+ photos, that this is a great camera and am very satisfied with my purchase.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:07 AM   #196

tbcass, I have to agree with you. There seems to be an awful lot of testing the camera to extreme limits rather than taking pictures.

Just get out there and take pictures. If all your pictures have the same problem then you've probably got a bad camera.

If some are poor, some are good and some are great, then the camera is probably fine and you're like the majority of us who take their fair share of out of focus, poorly exposed shots.
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:41 AM   #197

malinstreak wrote:
Quote:
tbcass, I have to agree with you. There seems to be an awful lot of testing the camera to extreme limits rather than taking pictures.

Just get out there and take pictures. If all your pictures have the same problem then you've probably got a bad camera.

If some are poor, some are good and some are great, then the camera is probably fine and you're like the majority of us who take their fair share of out of focus, poorly exposed shots.

How do ypu manage to take out of focus pictures? Do you mean having the wrong part of the photo in focus. I have to admit this is easily done and of course the other common fault is to use too shallow a depth of field and end up with only parts of your subject pinsharp. This is one of the reasons I asked John to use a higher F Stop to eliminate that problem.

In my experience of 2 S9500's and 1 D50 the 18-55 and 18-70 lenseson the D50are better than the S9500 in terms of CA and sharpness.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:52 AM   #198

Sorry, I meant blurred, which many regard as a focus problem but is usually a camera shake problem.

I know that a lot of the pictures I took when I first got the camera were blurred because I was trying to use too low a shutter speed to get the benefit of lower ISO's.

I now tend to use the higher ISO's if I need a fast shutter because the level of noise is low, particularly when printing outpictures, even if you can see it if you zoom in onamonitor.
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:17 AM   #199

tbcass wrote:
Quote:
I don't believe there are that many faulty cameras out there.
That being the case, I really am trying hard to understand whyso many cameras have beenso readily replaced or returnedonService Repair notes.Perhaps the malcontents are just being humoured then, out of a sense of philanthropic tolerance?
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:40 AM   #200

Hey,

Just tested my S9500. The picture was exposured for 30 sec, shot at ISO 80. It was then cropped and it turns up to be a lot of white dots. Could it be the noise due to long exposure or the faulty of sensor. Pls advise. Thanks!
Attached Images

Digiabs is offline   Reply With Quote