Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:08 PM   #231

A shot (another to follow) taken in auto mode with no post processing other than resizing. The EXIF data should be there. Just pander to my paranoia and tell me my S9xxx is a good un!.
Attached Images

vrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:13 PM   #232

Again no PP other than resizing.
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:18 PM   #233

Hey Vrem, First looks great to me although I'm not viewing it on the best of monitors right now. Don't know if it's just me but I'm not seeing any Exif data on either image.

The second image seems to have some blurring (or is it a smudge on the lens?) on the bottom left hand corner running to along the bottom edge, which isn't evident in the first image.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:29 PM   #234

On the second photo, I think the focus is just a little soft in the corner, like maybe the center of focus is someplace else. But if that were my camera, I would just stop worrying and enjoy taking pictures.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:53 PM   #235

Thanks folks. Since getting the S9xxx for Christmas I haven't actually had much chance to get out and use it. Initially I was a tad disappointed with my results but I'm getting used to the camera now and thus my photos are improving.

I still find AF a bit tardy and not entirely reliable. The images can appear on the soft side but I actually prefer touse USM rather than let the camera over do it anyway.

This is proving to be a steep learning curve but overall an enjoyable one.

PS

Steve,

Just double checked with ViewEXIF 1.7 and the data is there, what do you use to view EXIF data?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:27 PM   #236

One other thing that has improved my images, I went and bought a decent monitor. This has probably been the biggest single improvement to date, my images look 100% better.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:41 PM   #237

I got my S9500 for Christmas and was expecting something really exceptional after my good old S602 Zoom.

Unfortunately I can't say its been anything more than a disappointment!

All images taken using the AUTO function turn out over exposed with a very soft focus.

However, move into the P, S, A or M modes and the camera performs allot better with acceptable results providing you have the time to set the camera up before the moment has gone.

On the plus side the Super macro can only be described as superb.

I have contacted Fuji on many occasions (phone and email) and at first I was convinced I was doing something wrong or expecting too much of it, as they was adament that the images are meant to be softer but better.

Anyway today, after having no reply from them over my sample images, they finally replied, this is what they said -

Your S9500 does appear to be producing a greater than normal level with regards to chromatic aberration, alongside all photos being slightly over-exposed. This is not what we would expect from the S9500.

And I was advised to return it to Fuji for checking out.

Not very good considering it is only 6 weeks old.

Is there problems with serial numbers 54Q02*** I would appreciate any comments.

Will let you know how it goes on. :sad:

Attached Images

Focus Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 3:34 AM   #238

The lastest news....

The resident professional photographer at the store said he would have a look at my camera yesterday and talk to the Fuji rep.

Today when I called he would not comment on the cameras performance. But did tell me that he had sent my camera away today along with one of his personal cameras. (With luck this may mean I can get a bit of a better turn around time) He is going to cal Fuji when they receive both cameras. I have a feeling though that he also sent back another S9500 he had in stock. mmmmmm?

For those that don't know, my concerns were soft images and a sluggish AF. (Single AF would often out perform continous AF. What the?)

I shall keep you posted.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:04 AM   #239

I bought my S9500 three weeks ago (I previously shot on 35mm and 645 for 30+ years), and I've been absolutely delighted the results it's achieved.

I am the second owner of this camera. The first owner part-exchanged it after approx. 3 months of ownership. Why? I simply don't know.

I'm at work at the moment (lunch break), and as my camera is at home I've absolutely no idea what its serial number might be, but from the timing of events it seems likely that mine was an early one.

It's good that Fuji are now taking these issues seriously, due, no doubt, to the dogged persistence of aggrieved users, and also to forums such as this one.

We who have been spared these problems owe a debt of gratitude to you all, and in turn I hope you will be encouraged by our happier experiences.

Would I have bought this camera if I'd known of other users' problems? Probably not. But then I'd have missed out on a great piece of kit!
powernapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:22 AM   #240

Power, thanks foryour refreshing view on this thread -thanks for highlighting the positive in the negative, so to speak. Like you, I am delighted with my camera and thankful that I too have been sparedthefrustrations that some owners haveendured.

I think some have mistakenly seen this thread and others like it,asa forum for whinging, whining, photographicretardswho are hell bent on knocking Fuji and the 9500 at every turn - but that is not the case. Fact is there have been problemsunits aroundwhich Fuji are beginning thankfully, to acknowledge and address. I don't believe there is anyone herethat wants the 9500 to be a bad camera - quite the opposite in fact. There are plenty of very happy owners who have shown time &again what a great camera it is and I think that, more than anything else, has inspired dissatisfied owners topersevere. There are a number of owners who are actually on their second and third cameras who are now very happy with what they have and wouldn't change it for the world. It was these events that convinced me that the issues that were being reported (not all mind you, since user error has clearly been a factor as well, at times) were quality assurance related rather than of a design nature.

Having convinced myself of this, and given the fact that Fuji were beginning to respond in a positive manner to legitimate complaints, I finally made the purchase I 'd been delaying for four months and haven't regreted it one bit. In fact, as each day goes by I have come to appreciatethe capabilities of the 9500more & more.

For those who are still having problems, I can only say persevere until you 'come right'.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote