Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:14 AM   #281

Hi Vrem, don't want to teach you how to suck eggs or anything, but I would put it in writing straight away that you have received the 'supposed' new camera which shows signs of wear at the tripod mount. That way they can't suggest that you caused them a few days down the line.

Just an obvious one, but maybe you should also check the menu to see ifthe camerais set to consequtive frame numbers and ifand how many,previousframes are recorded - probably a long shot but worth checking nontheless.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:20 AM   #282

THIS IS PATHETIC - The word S-U-C-K has just been censored out of my previous post

[align=center]BLOODY NANNY MENTALITY![/align]
Old Mar 28, 2006, 3:47 AM   #283

I think I may have taken your title of the most difficult customer. Theswitch board operator or executive assistantknows my voice and addresses me by name. The last time she was starting to get testy so she is getting to know how I feel. I can't remember if I told you because no one wanted me to go higher up the chain of command they would not refer me to anyone higher than department managers. So as a very determined person, I called Tokyo Head Office and got a phone number for the executive office.

I had a long conversation that things would get worse in 2 days if I am having the same conversation in regards to my camera being in the mail.

I just could not believe that I was told in the morning my camera was in the mail then receive a call in the afternoon stating the opposite and that it should be in the mail this afternoon.

I think I better make some inquiries with the Dept of Fair Trading and Consumer Affairs tomorrow. I just hope no one else ever has to deal with this type of incompetence again in Australia.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:17 AM   #284

Spoke to Fuji here in the UK. They say my camera is a 'stock' camera and is unused. They couldn't comment on the wear around the tripod mount but insisted the camera was unused. The frame number wasset to zero and indicates no shots have been taken with the camera. Can this be reset to zero?

I'm told stock cameras are ones returned by stores because of damaged packaging (the cameras should be 'as new'). Fuji are not allowed to re-sell them and they are added to their stock and appear to be used as replacement cameras.

I did some quick test shots and all appears well. I am now wondering exactly what I should do. Fuji are happy to replace this camera for another 'stock' camera. So I could again be without a camera for a few weeks and end up in the same situation. This on top of paying another £7 to return a camera. If I want a refund I have to return it to the store from where purchased but they will not accept this as it isn't the camera they sold - how mad is that?

I have very mixed feelings about Fuji. The people on the telephone have been helpful and polite and certainly offer replacements without any prompting.They seemOK but the infrastructure of the service they adhere to seems very unreliable.

I'll sleep on this one. Part of me is very happy to have a working camera back in my hands but part of me knows that somewhere along the line there are a few untruths being told. I know this camera has had at the very least a tripod mount attached but whether it's used in the sense that it was someone elses camera I don't know for sure.
vrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:02 AM   #285

Shadow I would bang off a mail to your Dept of Consumer Affairs and copy it to Fuji Australia & Fuji Japan. I would put money on it that you will get a response very fast. Japan will be unhappy about the potential for poor publicity, Australia will be unhappyabout their dirty washingnow being aired in front of Japan's nosesand hopefully you'll get the reaction you should have got months ago. I did a similar thing last year when I couldn't get an answer from our local Fuji agents about when the camera was going to be released here, so I did a 'contact us' number on the Fuji international site and had a reply and a telephone call from our local people the next morning:G

Vrem, being the cynic that I am, that story about the stock cameras sounds like'spin' to me.I'd like to think that's the policy butmy knowledge of human nature tells me otherwise! The frame numbering in Renew mode is reset to 001, when you change cards. Either way I should imagine it can be reset by a technician. I can understand your quandry but you shouldn't befaced with theproblem in the first place. I would be insisting on a new factory boxed unit if it were me, but as I say, I can be a difficult and unreasonable B... on things like this (having been involved in manufacturing myself).

Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:17 AM   #286

Hey Steve, would you still have the email address for Fuji Japan?

I will make contact with Dept of Consumer Affairs in the mean time and have everything ready toemail if my camera is a no-show. Or if I get a suspect replacement like vrem.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:27 AM   #287

As promised I telephoned Fuji Customer Services this afternoon. Only chance I've had since my last post.

I was connected to a Customer Services agent within only about two minutes of waiting. The chap I spoke to sounded pleasant and cheerie andI instantly felt he would try his best to help me. An important element I believe.

Iasked if he could help me with a few enquiries, to which he replied something like "I'll certainly try my best". I explained that I was writting a review on the S9500 (I'll eventually get around to it one day :lol, and as an owner myself who was considering the extended warranty cover would like to ask the following questions.

Q, How long is the turn around for repair times at the moment as I have been reading of terrible delays from some customers.

A, Our turn around is between 5 - 10 days.

Q, Do you have a target turn around for repairs?

A, Our target is actually betwenn 5 - 7 days, but I have seen repairs turned around in 24 hours. We deal with all repairs ourselves at our Bedford Service and Repair Centre. We aren't experiencing any problems in this regard.

Q, I have now read of about five customers who have experienced problems with the Command Dial, inasmuch as it ceasing to function and in one case reportedly just fell off.

A, I'm surprised. I haven't heard of an issue with the Command Dial. Let me check if I have any emails in this regard . . . . . No, it's not a problem I've come across.

Q , If a replacement becomes necessary will I get a new replacement or could it be a refurbished camera?

A, Replacements are usually from second stock. Let me just check that out though. . . . . . (pause) . . . Yes they are from second stock.

I got the feeling that they didn't like the term "refurbished"

I also explained that a customer had recieved a return which he feels he was led to believe would be new. He was told the camera only, minus the accesories, would be returned, and that he felt he had received a refurbished one as the serial number suggested a slightly older one and that the plastic around the tripod mount looked scatched suggesting that it had been pre-used. The man from Fuji told me that they would be happy to deal with this if the individual contacted them. He also stressed that following all repairs there should be a technicians report stating exactly what the fault was and what repairs they had carried out. This report should also state if a replacement had been given or the name plate changed.

On the whole I would have felt extremely satisfied with the call and the way my enquiries were handled. It left me feeling a sense of faith in Fuji.

However, I'm a cynical sod.

My suggestion would be to write those letters and Cc them to whomever else that may take notice at Fuji headquarters. For extra effect maybe make it clear that your letter is an open one.

Also, telephone again and try and get through to someone who can deal with things once and for all.

I hope this helps in some way.

Regards,

Syd

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:28 AM   #288

Hi Syd,

The Fuji Repair Centre have already offered to accept my replacement camera and send another from their 'stock'. My wife spoke to a very helpful man at the repair centre in Bedford this morning however he did insist that that stock cameras were new and unused. The marks on the tripod mount on my 'new' camera certainly do not indicate this is the case with my replacement. I feel very miffed that I have to go to the inconvenience of paying for postage (again) and being without a camera (again). The 10 day turnaround mentioned certainly never applied in my case, I sent my original camera on the6th March.

My next communication is to be with Fuji Head Office in London. It will be written and sent recorded. The irony of all this is that had I returned my original camera to the store I would now have a full refund and no further hassle. When asked about a refund today Fuji said I would need to return my original camera to the store where purchased- a little difficult since Fuji admit to losing it!

BTW the replacement camera does seem to work fine but this is just a point of principle I can't overlook.

vrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:34 AM   #289

Just out of interest Vrem, was the date set when you got it?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:42 AM   #290
E.T

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
The frame numbering in Renew mode is reset to 001, when you change cards. Either way I should imagine it can be reset by a technician...
Well... two digicams I've had in last three years have had "reset to factory defaults" available without anything else than going to menu.

And icirculating "repaired" items could be quite common, about five years ago lot of people here in Finland had problems with onsite repair (/replacement) of CRT monitors, service company could replace monitor with other one which had even bigger faults in image quality... for some it took up to five changes before getting replacement with good picture quality.
So how many of you believes externalization of services is good thing?

vrem wrote:
Quote:
I'm quite suspicious by nature...
In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:
However, I'm a cynical sod.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
-George Bernard Shaw
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote