Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 17, 2005, 8:21 AM   #31

Andy_Lee wrote:
Quote:
Well mine came back from Fuji UK today and guess what it now takes great pictures even in Idiot Proof point and shoot mode.

Note from fuji says full service carried out. Oh if you think Fuji are going to admit to somebody who casually rings up that they have had to withdraw a whole batch of cameras then that person is living in lalal land imagine the field day the press would have with that sort of info.

As for not knowing what I am doing with the camera well I refuse to be drawn into an argument on the subject but I appears I was fully justified in returning the camera to Fuji.

Hi Andy,

Perhaps you had a faulty camera, Fuji's service seems to point at that. Certainly my comments were not directed at you or anyone in particular, but at people in general. I would expect the S9xxx to take pictures in full auto at least as well as my S7k, which does a great job. That said, the S9xxx is a complex camera which may or may not fufill someone's expectations if they do not adjust the settings to meet their personal expectations. What may look fine to me in auto mode may look like garbage to someone else,if they took the time to adjust their settings they may get results they like much better. Personal preferences, nothing more, nothing less. And believe me, as a forum moderator for music synthesizers, I see posts every day of people not utilizing their equipment, total lack of knowledge and yet expecting everything they do to be a cd perfect recording when they are not willing to invest even five minutes in reading the owners manual or learning how to use their equipment. Just some comments on people in general and no one in particular.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:56 AM   #32

Clyde Atkinson wrote:
Quote:
Andy_Lee wrote:
Quote:
Well mine came back from Fuji UK today and guess what it now takes great pictures even in Idiot Proof point and shoot mode.

Note from fuji says full service carried out. Oh if you think Fuji are going to admit to somebody who casually rings up that they have had to withdraw a whole batch of cameras then that person is living in lalal land imagine the field day the press would have with that sort of info.

As for not knowing what I am doing with the camera well I refuse to be drawn into an argument on the subject but I appears I was fully justified in returning the camera to Fuji.

Hi Andy,

Perhaps you had a faulty camera, Fuji's service seems to point at that. Certainly my comments were not directed at you or anyone in particular, but at people in general. I would expect the S9xxx to take pictures in full auto at least as well as my S7k, which does a great job. That said, the S9xxx is a complex camera which may or may not fufill someone's expectations if they do not adjust the settings to meet their personal expectations. What may look fine to me in auto mode may look like garbage to someone else,if they took the time to adjust their settings they may get results they like much better. Personal preferences, nothing more, nothing less. And believe me, as a forum moderator for music synthesizers, I see posts every day of people not utilizing their equipment, total lack of knowledge and yet expecting everything they do to be a cd perfect recording when they are not willing to invest even five minutes in reading the owners manual or learning how to use their equipment. Just some comments on people in general and no one in particular.

Clyde

Hi Clyde

The whole point of my orginal post was that my S9500 could not take pictures as well as my S5500 in either P&S mode or with more precise settings. I really wanted the S9500 to be a great camera after all I could seethe quality of the pictures other people had produced with it. When doing the side by side comparisons it was really obvious there was "something "wrong with the camera.

I never intended to denigrate the S9500 as a whole, but like other people it became clear that Fuji do have a problem with the consistancy of the camera's output and I was just making it clear to other potential users that they must make sure they get a "good one". I have nothing but praise for the courteous and efficient way in which Fuji have handled my problem and now Iam happy with what my camera is producing.

Andy
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:06 PM   #33

Hi Andy,

I'm glad that your camera issues were resolved, we shell out our hard earned money for a product and it should perform well. The point some of us were making was that many users do not learn how to use their equipment and that often the poor results they experience are a direct result of lack of knowledge and poor technique rather than a product defect. It seems that your experience with a poorly performing cam was a product not up to spec rather than "operator error", I delighted that Fuji was responsive and took care of your problem. Happy picture taking!

Clyde
Old Nov 17, 2005, 1:08 PM   #34

Well you can up the sharpness output on the camera and color if you set it to chrome and the highest sharpness setting. That will be pretty close to the output of the S7000 on auto. I think Fuji made the images softer for the people that wanted to have more control of their photos in pp, and it lessens the in camera artifacts that way as well.
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:33 PM   #35

Hi All,

Like Andy my S9500 has been variable with colour, focus and noise. It was my original assumption it was the user (RFM). But after many test and comparisons with my Olympus C5050 and my sons 4m P&S (plus the many excellent samples posted in this forum).My S9500 seemed lacking.

Contacted Fuji, they reviewed sample pics and yes the suspect 'it has developed a fault' and have ask for it the be returned.

Brought from Dabs serial number 53Q04725, does this begin to sound familiar.

I await Fuji investigations.

Arnold

P.S. Indoor flash was also inconsistant.
Arnold1896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 6:29 PM   #36

Hi Arnold,

Your's also sounds like a camera fault, I'm not impressed with Fuji's quality control (or lack thereof) with the S9xxx cams. A shame, as I think they make some of the best cams performance wise in today's marketplace. I don't recall seeing so many issues with the S7000 and my S7khas been perfect from day one.

Clyde
Old Nov 19, 2005, 4:12 AM   #37

I started this thread in the face of growing comment (some of which wasvague andoften petulant)about quality issues with the camera, in the hopethat some sort of claritymight emergeonthe subject - butalas, not much has.

On the one hand it seems that there is sufficient allegation of camera fault tobe ofat least someconcern to the potential buyerwhilston the other we havesuggestions of 'user ignorance', counteringthese claims.

What I havebeentrying to ascertainishow manyunits have actually been shown to be faulty-Iposted this topic on DPReviewwith the same aim in mind. Between the two forums there does not appear to be that many units that havebeen returned - my count is less than ten, but somebody might like to check that figure.Ido thinkhowever, that this indicator issomewhat subjective since it is confined to these two forums.It is worrying thatquality issues are still being posted by new owners.

Perhaps, as in most things in this life,somewhere in the middle liesthe truth.

Ilike the9500 alot and Ireally want to own one,butbecause of the outlay involvedI am holding back until I feel more confident about the quality - and I get the impression that I am not alone in this.If, and I really do stress the word"IF", there wasa batch faultin the initial release, Fuji woulddo well toacknowledge it. It is not an uncommon occurence these days and market research has shown thathonesty and openess on such matters enhances the integrity of the company in the eyes of the consumer - andultimatelyserves to promote sales rather thandetract from them. The automotive industrydiscovered this a while back.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 6:04 PM   #38

I have about a week to go before the 14 day (no questions asked) return policy
is up as I purchased my s9000 at Future Shop here in Vancouver. B.C.

So far the only things I've noticed that cause me concern is the manual focus
is difficult to use. The left and right Icons will stay onscreen when the image
is clearly out of focus, so I have to return to focus using my eye and then wait
for it to kick back in and start working again.

The only other concern I have so far is the barrel is very mushy when withdrawn
back into the camera. There is quite a bit of slack/play before it starts to extend
into the zoom range. It feels cheap in that sense.

I haven't seen any blurring issues though so I'm going to go back to the store
and ask to see their Demo model and check if the same issues are present with
that camera.

Any comments would be appreciated

thanks,

Rob
redgreenblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:03 AM   #39

Hi SteveDak,

Not sure whether you saw my earlier posting, but today I exchanged my faulty S9500 for a new one. Haven't had a chance to test it fully yet but so far things look better.

Old "faulty" serial number was; 53Q57416

Watch this space.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:09 AM   #40

Thanks Syd, Let us know how it goes with the new one and what the S/N is - also press your sales/service agent for exactly what the problem was with the original. I cannot believe that people aren't demanding an answer to this obvious question.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote