Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:37 AM   #41

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Syd, Let us know how it goes with the new one and what the S/N is - also press your sales/service agent for exactly what the problem was with the original. I cannot believe that people aren't demanding an answer to this obvious question.

Hi Steve i will be honest here and admit it really didnt cross my mind to ask I was just so pleased to have a camera that lived up to my expectations thats the problem when your emotions get wrapped up in something:roll:
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:07 PM   #42

Unfortunately the manager of the shop was not there so spoke with a young sales assistant who went through quite a rigmarole of the exchange, checking that I didn't end up with two lens caps or an extra carrier bag. I checked the camera in the store mainly to see if if it was functioning and had no blown pixels.

The serial number of the replacement is: 53Q00386 an earlier version??
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:32 PM   #43

Hey no problem Andy - I thought that was the case (per the other thread).

Just a brief appraisal of what has been reportedto dateand subject to the accuracy of the individual reporting on the various Forums - gathering of info is ongoing.

There are three sets of Serial Numbers that have hadcomments postedagainst them (obviously not all reporting faults and the highest & lowest numbers quoted are extracted from those faults that have been reported in that particular S/N sequence): 53Q (9500) 53A (9000) 53L (9500)

53Q Sequence : the lowest reported fault is 53Q00955 & the highest 53Q57416

53A Sequence : the lowest reported fault is 53A00041 & the highest 53A00293

53L Sequence : No reported faults to date

The 53Q sequence seems to refer to the 9500 andreports are nearly all of UK origin

The 53A sequence seems to refer to the 9000 and reports are all of North American origin

The 53L Sequence seems to refer to the 9500 and comments are of New Zealand origin

By far the greatest number of faults reported (80%) are from within the 53Q sequence of serial numbers and reporters are largely of UK origin - not what I was expecting to be honest.

Just in case this thread is taking on anegative mood,which is not theintention - please check out this link for a whole bunch of happy 9000/9500 owners whoseem to out-number the malcontents!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15950213

Steve

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:40 PM   #44

Thanks Syd, have entered the number inthe database I'm building. Seems a very early number if you look at my earlier post but that doesn't neccessarily mean it will have a problem.The problem units seem quite random within a sequence, but at this stage the query criteria is a tad subjective.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:38 AM   #45

hi , I'm also having same problems with softness and focus ,even when focus bleep sounds you can see that the image is far from sharp. the problem seems to be at its worst in low light and when using flash, and the focus assist light doesnt help the problem either. I'v had the 9500 for a couple of months and i was convinced that the problem was me, but having read all your comments I am so relieved, I will be contacting fuji today
tobyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:52 AM   #46

Keep us posted Toby, if the camera comes back fixed be sure to get them to explain what the problem was.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:19 AM   #47

Hi I have just joined the forum after speaking to Fuji about my 9500. I have owned the camera for about six weeks and I am very dissapointed in the quality of my pictures and it was interesting to find this thread.

I cannot agree with the commentsabout learningto use this camera ect.. If a camera comes with an auto mode at the price of this camera, then surely it should be able to perform as a point and shoot?

Fujihave asked me to send over a couple of pics to view and they have promised to get back to me with theirfindings. I previously owned a S602 which was a great camera and one I had no problems with on quality. I'll let you know their findings.

ps my camera was purchased in the UK.
Rick_pic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:47 AM   #48

I agree with you Rick - I cannot believe that so much should have to be learnt / discovered about the camera beforeyou can get it to perform properly. I'm beginning to wonder whether someowners aren't perhapsunwittingly,albeit with the best intentions, working their wayaround whatmight be anobviousfault. Your serial number would be useful.

Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:24 AM   #49

Rick_pic wrote:
Quote:
Hi I have just joined the forum after speaking to Fuji about my 9500. I have owned the camera for about six weeks and I am very dissapointed in the quality of my pictures and it was interesting to find this thread.

I cannot agree with the commentsabout learningto use this camera ect.. If a camera comes with an auto mode at the price of this camera, then surely it should be able to perform as a point and shoot?

Fujihave asked me to send over a couple of pics to view and they have promised to get back to me with theirfindings. I previously owned a S602 which was a great camera and one I had no problems with on quality. I'll let you know their findings.

ps my camera was purchased in the UK.

I think the comments about learning to use this camera mostly refer to getting the settings adjusted for your individual preferences. Yes the auto mode should perform as a point and shoot, but the results may depend on the settings you select, hence my earlier comments about it not being an idiot proof $150 point and shoot. And I still disagree with those that believe there should be no learning curve and that it should be the end all be all right out of the box. If that were the case it would have to be a completely full auto only camera with no user settings available, is that what you really want? I think most people want a very flexible camera, that means multiple settings and choices, and that entails at least some learning curve. If I shot my S7k at only the default settings and did not like the results, is it then the cameras fault that I did not set it to shoot in 12mp fine soft? Or is it my fault for not learning how to use the camera? There appear to be some faulty cams out there, bad units can and do happen in any manufacturing process (I've had a couple of defective digital music synthesizers over the years, they were in the 3k-4k dollar range), one manufacturer will never see any business from me as they refused to take care of it, the other manufacturer promptly took care of the problem and kept me as a customer and I have purchased other synths from them. To me it is not so much a question of will there be some faulty units (there will be), but whether or not the manufacturer addresses the problem for me. Just my two cents worth.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:49 AM   #50

HI Clyde, I undestand where you are coming from and I agree that to get the best from a camera you do have to spend time getting to know it. HOWever the camera should be capable of shooting to a good standard in auto mode no matter what make or model or cost.

The problem with my 9500 is that I have yet to take a photo indoors that is fully in focus. The quality of the image isvery hit and miss which has nothing to do with the settings (I think,) this is more to do with a potential fault after reading other peoples similar experiences.

Rick_pic
Rick_pic is offline   Reply With Quote