Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:13 PM   #1

I'm trying to get an idea of just how many S9000 / 9500buyers on this forum have actually returned the camera with a fault andeither received a replacementor got their money back. Simple Date, Locationand brief Reason would besufficient butGENUINE cases only please!

Responses would be appreciated.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2005, 4:40 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i am a little concerned about this as well... been hearing some scary stories about softness and faulty viewfinders... anyone experience this?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:11 PM   #3

I believe some of these stories may be just stories.

I have not seen any posted images from this group of "disappointnted S9000 / S9500 users".

Any new camera can have issues from the first production run.

But I don't think there are too many with the S9000.

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:30 PM   #4

I don't have any problem so far with my S9000. Ordered it from Best Buy.If there is something wrong, I can go straight to the local store to return it. The camera was shipped from Ohio, it took one week to arrive, I guess they shipped mine by boat.

The first thing opened the package and picked up the camera is to turn it upside down, "Made In Japan", good. Let's see how made in Japan behave. I started to hook up all three old fashion high voltage triggered flash to see if any will fry the camera, the Sunpak 383, Vivitar 283 and 285, surprisingly the camera is fine. Next I shot some test shots in Auto mode to see all the electronic stuff kick in, the color of the fruit basket in the viewfinder showed what it supposed to be, same as I had a brief review on the LCD. Then a few more shotsusing the internal flash, the pictures came out evenly lit. My impression is, this is the camera I keep forever.

I've also heard the pictures of this camera are soft, no, they look fineto me, maybe with others taste depends on what existing camera they use compare to this one, wait until you print the pictures on your home printer, the skin tone isnice. I don't need to do heavy pp on the pictures from this camera, just a few brightness adjustment here and there, no color adjustment needed so far witha few dozen family outdoor portrait flash fill shots.

All cameras are mass produced not custom made, sure we expect some bad batches.

You've read someconfusing reviews/negative posts about this camera,and the problem with S9000 is listed ordered online only, not available in the stores for you to test drive it, it's up to you to sort things out. I put only 40% score on anyreview good or bad, the other 60% is in real life shoot out performance, cost effectiveness, practical usefullness, all three conditions must be met before I buy.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:04 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i actually prefer an image that isn't oversharpened, gives me more room to control sharpening later on in post-process... i guess that is a negligeable fact anyways since i shoot RAW entirely..

but i'm glad to hear that these stories aren't as common as others have made it out to be..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:39 PM   #6

Yes there are settings for you to use Raw format, to create your photographs in pp, don't worry about it. Buying the S9000 is like going for a blind date, it's part of the fun isn't it?:-)

I'm sure if you decide to buy the camera you won't care much what format to shoot, you just go out there like other owners here getting some piece of action, dancing with wolves, shoot first and worry about pp later, Fuji style.:-)
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 2:45 AM   #7

nickphoto123 a écrit:
Quote:
I have not seen any posted images from this group of "disappointnted S9000 / S9500 users".
I am.

I am a little disappointnted with my S9600. By the color and sharpen of my images.
(Auto mode produce bad image and Natural is strange ...)

But actualy I don't know if it is S9600 or the photograph !!!! (I have nothingto compare)

@choum
at.choum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 3:08 AM   #8

Well folks having had my S9500 for 4 weeks I have to report the following. After doing a large number of test shots. I was certain that all was not well with my new camera. I was doing comparison shots with my 6 month old S5500 and it became apparent the the S9500 results were in a lot of cases a lot worse than the S5500.

The main issues revolved around Focus/resolution and colour. Anyway I decided to contact Fuji support direct rather than trying to deal with Dabs notorious system.

I was sent a Cd with some S9500 test shot to compare with my S9500

The CD arrived next day and it was obvious that my camera was not up to scratch. My camera is now on its way toFuji for examination and hopefully repair or replacement.

The interesting bit is last night at my photographic club. I mentioned my problems to a fellow member who works for a well known photographic chain and they were not surprised at the issues I mentioned.

It appears that not only are Fuji aware of these problems but they had to recall an entire batch of UK cameras early on in the launch process. When I quoted my serial number 53Q04035 it was confirmed that this was indeed from the group with known problems. The fault was explained to meas being some sort of issues with layers on the CCD either missing or not correctly installed (not having a clue how a CCD is made I do not understand what this means).

For those who doubt my word I will try, when I get home to get some 100% crops of problem areas from the camera and the same crop from the S5500 the difference is more than obvious.

Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:00 AM   #9

I recently upgraded from the S5000 to the S9500 and was initially disappointed with the results in that they appeared softer. However I believe the only fault was with me and my expectations.

Firstly my comparisons werebiased because I was comparing 100% magnification on screen against both cameras. The S9500 sensor is 70% bigger than the S5000 but fits on 3x as many pixels. Therefore the quality per pixel is not as good. The point is that there are 3x as many pixels to create the picture. Based on this,a better comparisonfor these 2 camerasis 100% for the S5000 v 60% for the S9500. Remember when you print you get the benefitof all those extra pixels.

Secondly, I was trying to shoot in ISO80 and the reduced shutter speed meant that I regularly blurred the shot because of camera shake.

I have now had it for a month and the quality of my pictures continues to improve as I learn to use it better. (I rarely use Auto any more).

I am sure there havebeen some bad cameras but this camera takes some practice to get the best out of it, its not just a point and shoot.
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:20 AM   #10
AWT

Malinstreak,

I'll admit to having the same mixed feelings about image quality initially, but you've defined exactly what I've found.. It's so much better to have a minimally processed image for greater PP flexibility. I'm more than pleased now I've got the 'feel' forthe 9500. No regrets at all.

AWT is offline   Reply With Quote