Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:10 AM   #11

If you are eventually going to get a 1Gb xD card and are concerned about speed, perhaps you should wait for the H series of xD cards due to be released shortly. No firmware update will be required on the S9000 to work with these cards. Though no formal speed results are available yet, the in-camera speed with these cards will very likely be improved over current xD cards.

In the meantime, CF is a great option. Compatible with lots of cameras/devices. I'm about to purchase a S9000 and am leaning towards the Sandisk Ultra III. Not that it will improve the in-camera speed but I like its operating specs, esp. for temperature and if I ever do get a camera that will benefit from its speed, then I'll be set.

The Ultra II is one of the bigger sellers, for sure but demands a premium in my area (Ontario, Canada). It's about 25% more expensive than a 1Gb Kingston Elite Pro which I believe comes with a lifetime warranty.

Allen, I believe the dpreview article used a 4Gb Sandisk Ultra II card for its tests with no issues.

curiousity54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:47 AM   #12

I would like some advice on what I should buy.

I can get aKingston Elite Pro2 GB for $155.99

OR

A Sandisk Xtreme III 1 GB for $152.00

What is the better value should I go for the more memory or the faster speeds? I am leaning towards going for the extra memory due to the fact that CF speeds are limited on the S9500.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:04 AM   #13

in camera speeds are limited/determined by the camera itself

the big difference comes when you use your card reader to download to the computer
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:24 AM   #14

When you put it in that light, I think I will go with Kingston. Whilst slower in write abilty they are they same in read speed. And I could always do with more memory, especially when I start getting into RAW pictures. More so, given that RAW files with the S9500 can be just under 20mb.

Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:30 PM   #15

Dear Curiousity,

Thanks, I did not know they had a "h" version coming for Xd cards but this is probably some timedownthe road. I will be interested on how this will perform.

I lookeda the Sandisk as well and I think itis a good buy, especially the Extreme and the good news is that the prices continue to drop. I understand the durability of the Sandisk but I wonder if performs better in situations like big temparature change. My experience with my older Sandisk was that it was noticeably slower going from an air conditioned room to a hot outdoors. The performance returned after a few minutes.

Ieventually bought a Transcend 1G CFand a Fuji 1G Xd. Seems this aligns well with one full charge on the batteries, which is to mean you can takea lot of pictures and not worry about either aspect.

Thanks for usual sound advice. BTW Iam from Ontario as wellbut currently residing in Hong Kong (therein sometimes the big temparature swings).

Regards and happy holidays, Allen

AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:19 PM   #16

Allen,

Some preliminary info on the H series announcement was posted on this site in the "breaking news" section here. Although they state late Dec. for the 512Mb card, I have no idea when larger cards will be available so yes, waiting for 1Gb or above might be a while.

I picked up an Ultra III card, 1Gb, from softmagic.ca. It was only 139. CDN with free shipping and no PST. This is also where I got my S9000 (just last week).

Certainly, and as expected, the S9000 is no screamer with the Ultra III card. I will be using it in very cold conditions at times though so felt the lower operating temp ratings might come in handy. Not sure how it handles big temp changes though theUltra III is better sealed thus theoretically I would think the memory itself would pick up less condensation. As others have stated, one trick is to put the camera in a sealed zip lock bagbefore coming back indoors from a hot environment.

I also have an i.Perris 1.8" 20Gbunit that I'll use to store images on so 1Gb for now is fine though I might be tempted by a 1Gb H series xD card if they prove to speed up the camera significantly and their prices are/become reasonable.

Enjoy!

curiousity54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:56 AM   #17

After all my umm'ing and ahhh'ing, I hvae bought a Sandisk 1GB Extreme III.

The two determining factors were: availability (at the right price)and holding out for the H-xD cards. (Hang on that is three reasons)

Due to the restriction on write speed for CF cards with the S9x00 my preference is to gofor more memory with the xD cards and use the CF cards as a in-board back up in case I run out of memory
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:51 PM   #18

Dear Curiousity,

Sounds like a good buy, at least you will get the read speed with the Extreme III. I have an Archos Gmini 400 w/20Gthat has a CF slot. When I plug in my80X Transcend CF the files transfer quite quickly and significantly faster then my previous old Sandisk. I think this is still a clear factor for getting a CF vs the current M type Xd and because of this I am using the CF more.

But I find that filling both memory slots is quite useful so I don't mix family shots with shots that I am taking on a hobby basis. Not that these are inappropriate for family but the subject matter is a broad range.

I hope you enjoy the camera as much as I have. Please do post you photo's.

Merry Christmas, Allen

AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote