Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:04 AM   #1

Dear all,

After much anticipation I went to the camera store and tried the Kingston 50X CF card and to my surprise the wirte speed is almost the same as my exitsing (but old) Sandisk CF and Xd card (that came with the S9500). Is there a limitation on the S9500/S9000 it self? How I judged the speed was to snap a photo and watch the write light. The Kingston was noticablely faster on the read speed eventhough a long sec pause. BTW my photos are on the highest setting, fine mode.

If so, those people shooting in RAW mode must be waiting a long time before the next photo.

Any suggestions/experience on the appropriate CF card to purchase? Whatdo others use and their performance?

Regards, AllenK

AllenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:58 PM   #2

Hi

It appears that Fuji made sure the write speed for CF is no better than Xd this is mentioned in the DP Review if this is deliberate or not is known only to Fuji
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:43 PM   #3

also.. while were on it.. whats CF card sizes have people got to work in a s9500 / s9000
looking for anyone over 1gig?
ceecrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:46 AM   #4

Dear Andy and Ceerb1,

Thank you for your input. I tried the 2G Kingston Elite Pro. Anyone of you have experience with any other CF cards?

As per Ceerb1 question, it seems like 2G is the sweet spot as it is a good comprise between cost and function. I am told that resale value of 2G (vs 4G)is prime but does this mean anything to you or me.

Just got back from a trip and will try the Ridata and Sandisk Ultra II, failing both to improve on the write performance then I will choose on price.

Thanks again.

Regards, Allen
Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:45 PM   #5

ceecrb1 wrote:
Quote:
also.. while were on it.. whats CF card sizes have people got to work in a s9500 / s9000
looking for anyone over 1gig?
I can confirm that a 2GB Sandisk Extreme II CF card works fine.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:26 PM   #6

Thanks,

The Sandisk Ultra write speed is over 8 meg, do you find any lag time after each shot? What setting you use? 9M fine?

I imagine the read speed is quite fast.

Regards, Allen
Old Nov 12, 2005, 4:49 AM   #7

Sorry, yes I should have said Sandisk Ulta II.

The speed of reads and writes is limited by the camera and not the card. I get results that concur with the tests on DPreview here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/page5.asp
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:52 PM   #8

Dear Altis,

Thank you very muchfor finding this link, this is exactly what I was looking for. This will save me a lot of time in trying to find the best memory card, its seems for CF, it does not matter what you use. My results concur with the reveiw except I perceive my experience was a little fasterwrite speedon 9M Fine setting, approximately 2+ sec versus the the review's 4 sec. Also, I do not see any difference between my CF card and the Xd 16M card (that was bundled with my camera).

The review also points out that Xd card is faster in actual use eventhough the CF card has a muchfaster read/write speed. I surmise thatFuji is supporting their own product, otherwise; if CF cards were allowed to use it full potential, will Fuji ever sell another Xd card? What a shame, a product of this calibre but with read/write speeds of a standard of 2 years ago.

Nevertheless, I will like keep using my old Sandisk 512M and get a 512 Xd. This is after I read up on what is a "M" type Xd card.

Thanks again, you have been a big help. Best Regards, Allen
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:47 AM   #9

Here's another link that I have found quite informative though it doesn't apply specifically to the S9000...

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/

curiousity54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:32 AM   #10

This is a bump and to see if anyone else has had any experiences they want to share.

I am curious as I am thinking of buying a Ultra II 1GB CF card, as a backup to a 1GB xD card (that I am planning on getting eventually). Currently I have a 512mb xD card.

You may ask why I am going for the 1GB CF.

The answer lies with the Minister for Finance & Recreation. If she says I can spend x amount of dollars, that is all I have to play with. Hence I can afford to get the extra memory with the CF card as oppose to less with the xD.

Out of interest, is it likely that Fuji will ever put out a upgrade to allow faster write speeds with CF cards? Because it seems a general consensus that CF cards are slower than xD, regardless of the CF crads write speed.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote