Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 16, 2003, 6:52 PM   #1

Default FUJI Finepix 3800

I just got the camera a few days ago and last night I went to a Martial Arts performance.

I had a hard time capturing some shots.

I found that the shutter speed was way too slow.

I mainly had it on Manual mode. I tried with Flash and without Flash.

What is the proper settings to get a faster shutter speed.

of course, I didn't bring the tripod.

Thanks in advance
pizzamr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2003, 7:30 PM   #2

Your 3800 has lots of pixels, but its speed is only 100ASA. Indoor low light will be a problem unless you can get close enough to use flash. Tripod shooting will get you correct exposure on a slow shutter speed - but you won't be able to use fast shutter to stop action.

Internal flashes are a bit useless, try an external flash - it's light will be more powerful and better focussed. When using flash you can up the shutter speed, since the flash duration is generally shorter than the shutter speed you might use, so you will still get the same exposure. You may run into autofocus probs.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 8:21 PM   #3

So pretty much the 3800 isn't the best type of camera for indoor low light settings then eh?
I taken some scenic shots and from a distance (like miles!!!), I can see the clouds perfect.

Crap, well I guess this isn't the camera I'm taking to Wrestlemania.
pizzamr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 8:48 PM   #4

The FinePix 3800 is a very good digital, however, it's abilities beyond point and shoot are somewhat limiting when action shooting is your pleasure.

You cannot set the shutter speed or change the ISO on the 3800 so your best option is to turn the mode dial to the scene position and select the Sports Scene. When shooting moving objects use this mode for a faster shutter speed.

The flash distance is around 11 ft. so stay within it's range for the results you desire.

Good luck,
Rodney
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2003, 1:04 PM   #5

Whether you use a 3800 or some other mid-priced camera, there is only so much you can do to get a fast shutter speed indoors. If, for example, your EXIF data shows you had a shutter speed of 1/20 sec at f/2.8, then having an ISO of 400 would give you 1/80 sec at f/2.8. This STILL might not be fast enough to stop action, and your picture would either be less sharp or more grainy or both. And it is unlikely you can get within 10-12 feet of the action to use the flash. Also, even if you COULD get that close, anything much closer or farther within the same scene would be either totally washed out by the flash or too dark in areas beyond it's range. Professionals use a VERY strong flash unit worth hundreds of $$$, which prevents the "tunnel" effect as it's capable of lighting a great distance, even when throttled down a bit for closer subjects. For example, I have a Finepix 2300 and a 2800. Pictures of a subject taken at 6 feet are equally bright, but the background at 12 feet is totally black with my 2300 and visible with my 2800, as the 2800 has a bit stronger flash.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 9:39 PM   #6

I have the same camera .... two words .. pre-focus. That will solve all your problems.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 12:35 AM   #7

Prefocussing (if the camera can find something it is capable of focussing on) only speeds up the elapsed time between pressing the shutter button and releasing the shutter. It does NOT solve the problem of capturing action pictures without blur in low light. The only other thing you can do on the 3800 is to set the EV to the lowest setting ( minus ). This will give a marginally faster shutter speed but an underexposed image (which can be corrected in post-processing). The difference in speed will not be much, say from 1/10 to 1/17, and probably not worth the effort. The 3800's Sports mode will NOT increase the shutter speed if the AUTO setting's aperture is already f/2.8, which it will be indoors. It takes a LOT of light for the 3800 to be able to use another aperture, which would then make the Sports mode worth trying
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote