Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:52 PM   #1

I have also posted this at dpreview

Please remember this is all my opinion.

This camera is capable of producing great results, even from a Mediocre photo taker like myself.

You can print the photos without any pp with incredible results, but if you want to display them on the screen you have to do a little work on them. This is not a point and shoot camera, if you wan't one of those the s5600 is a much better bet. Not that the s5600 is a bad camera it is in fact a very good camera.

It is very important to have the camera set to normal settings for this to work.

Using paintshop pro-x, I allways check hystogram, resize to screen or viewing resolution and work on them at 100% at that resolution, run unsharp mask at Radius 0.50 - Strength 200 - Clipping 5, add saturation, check levels for shadow, midrange and highlights, then do any noise control and additional sharpening that may be needed. All this can be done with an interactive script.

This may seem like a lot of work, but you do have a lot of detail to bring out and it is no use viewing the pictures at 100% at 9mp, all you see is a blurry detail lacking mess.

When you think about it all you are doing is the same as we used to do in the darkroom and it only takes a couple of minutes. I like to go out and take a pile of photos, come home, transfer them to the computer and loose my self in my digital darkroom. Bliss

If you have any questions, please ask. Any suggestions please give them. Anything to add, please go ahead.
--
Sel ................
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/photos.html
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:29 PM   #2

I am satisfied with my S9000.

Glad you are satisfied too.

Let's see some of that beauty in NZ.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:03 PM   #3

Hi Nick

I really admire your photos and enthusiasm.

Here's one for you. A view of Mount Maunganui from the minden road lookout 300mm zoom.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselor...fromminden.jpg

And another. Wide angle 28mm from the same place.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselor...fromminden.jpg

Best regards

Sel ....... :-)
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:41 PM   #4

Alibaba goes shopping for a camera.

"Hi guys, I just joined the forum, I want to buy a digital camera, I have $500 to spent, any suggestion?"

Allposters in the forum join into suggest, buy Canon, buy Fuji, buy Kodak, Nikon, Pentax....endless names.

Alibaba: "I check the review for all those cameras you guys recommanded and I like them all, but one more question. Where do I put the film in?"

Now the forum posters are running out of patience.

"NO ooooooooooo. You don't put film in a digital camera idiot."

Alibaba: "Then those cameras you suggested are no good at all, I've heard Konica/Minolta and Panasonic have anti something I don't remember, do those cameras take film?

That's it, all hell break loose:

"Alibaba, just buy a disposal camera it has film in there for you and don't post your pictures in our forum ok."

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:36 AM   #5

SelNZ wrote:
Quote:
I have also posted this at dpreview

Please remember this is all my opinion.

This camera is capable of producing great results, even from a Mediocre photo taker like myself.

You can print the photos without any pp with incredible results, but if you want to display them on the screen you have to do a little work on them. This is not a point and shoot camera, if you wan't one of those the s5600 is a much better bet. Not that the s5600 is a bad camera it is in fact a very good camera.

It is very important to have the camera set to normal settings for this to work.

Using paintshop pro-x, I allways check hystogram, resize to screen or viewing resolution and work on them at 100% at that resolution, run unsharp mask at Radius 0.50 - Strength 200 - Clipping 5, add saturation, check levels for shadow, midrange and highlights, then do any noise control and additional sharpening that may be needed. All this can be done with an interactive script.

This may seem like a lot of work, but you do have a lot of detail to bring out and it is no use viewing the pictures at 100% at 9mp, all you see is a blurry detail lacking mess.

When you think about it all you are doing is the same as we used to do in the darkroom and it only takes a couple of minutes. I like to go out and take a pile of photos, come home, transfer them to the computer and loose my self in my digital darkroom. Bliss

If you have any questions, please ask. Any suggestions please give them. Anything to add, please go ahead.
--
Sel ................

Maybe this is true if you have a working S9500 but if you think you can print at anything larger than 6x4 without PP you are kidding yourself. I didn't buy a high MP camera just for snaps for the family album if that was the case I would have stuck with the S5500. With respect to viewing at 100% I do not agree with you I can easily view nice clean shots off the S5500 at 100% and in theory this shoud equate to appx 50%on the S9500 at 50%my S9500 is indeed a blurry mess lacking in detail.

As to the camera not being a point and shoot camera well all I can say is any camera that sports the sort of modesthat the S9500has IS a point and shoot camera. The fact that you say you can print with out pp and get incredible results is a full admission of this fact. What this camera should/does have is the ability to be so much more than a point and shoot machine.

Whatever problems I'm having with my camera I am 100% certain it does not affect ALL S9500's out there. I have seen far to many good pictures out there for this to be the case. I to am happy to spend time in the digital darkroom even though I have far to many other things to do to spend as much time as I would like :-).In fact all of the things you mentioned above are exactly the things most of probably do to most if not all of the shots we take regardless of the camera we use.

However I spent several hours trying to "extract detail" from my S9500 shots only eventually having to accept the fact that the detail was just not there to be extracted.

I really look forward to being able to enjoy my S9500 as much as all my previous cameras. I am convinced I made the right choice when buying this camera I just want one that gives me consistant reasonable quality output that I can work with. I did consider a DSLR but the costs involved in that are much more than is first apparent and secondly I've been there before with 35mm and the idea of lugging several kilos of kit around on the chance I may just want it, is not so appealing as it once was 20 years ago.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:47 AM   #6

Hello Selnz and All,

Your two images are fantastic in resolution.

How could anyone reply to your post without commenting on your two images?

It must mean they did not view your images.

The S9000 is a real performer.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:37 AM   #7

The Fuji S9000 is a multifacets camera, always remember, Fuji is a film company, you are holding Fuji color palette. Gradually, more owners of this camera will post what they've found out about it. It takes time to explore all the functions and its capabilities.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:35 PM   #8

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Hello Selnz and All,

Your two images are fantastic in resolution.

How could anyone reply to your post without commenting on your two images?

It must mean they did not view your images.

The S9000 is a real performer.

Regards, Nicholas
Thanks Nicholas. Yes it makes you wonder.

They look good at screen resolution 1280x960 and printed as well :-).
I forgot to say I use Qimage to print on a Canon i965.

Regards

Sel ....... :-)

Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:59 PM   #9

SelNZ a écrit:
Quote:
--
Sel ................
Oh yes I have a question.

How do you make this one
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/thebee2.jpg

For me this is one of the best photo of S9500 I have seen.

A+
at.choum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:52 PM   #10

>Oh yes I have a question.

How do you make this one
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/thebee2.jpg

For me this is one of the best photo of S9500 I have seen.

A+

Thanks, Easy really.

Slightly dull day.
Set camera to:
200 iso
pattern meter
spot focus
aperture priority
supermacro
removed lenshood
flicked up lcd to hoizontal to see what I was doing.
pushed camera close to bee and kept taking shots while chasing the bee and trying not to let the shadow get in the way. Took 10-15 pictures.

Cropped picture, resized to viewing size, sharpened and ran noise ninja with profile for iso 200. This smooths it nicely.

Done.

Sel .......... :-)