Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 2, 2003, 3:17 AM   #11

Thanks, my estimates were based on what my SVGA Graphics card was doing (1024x768) or higher and a 19 inch monitor. I reckoned this was going to be the limit of display resolution, with a 0.22 monitor dot pitch.

FinePix's don't seem to have the same control of compression at the lower end as other cams. My moan is, why can't they just have a variable option instead of the fixed quality levels which mean different things on different models.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2003, 11:50 AM   #12

I agree a variable compression ratio would be nice. However, it seems that most camera features, or lack thereof, are due to marketing strategies. It's a case of "What do they need to provide THIS year in order to match or slightly surpass the deemed competition". I believe they withhold some features for the subsequent year's models. What REALLY bothers me is when they REMOVE features. e.g.: my Finepix 1300 had a picture numbering system that could be set to either reset or continue on the next card. My newer 2300 and 2800 no longer have that feature (they reset to 0). To me it seems it cost them more to remove that feature than to keep it. Also in the Finepix 3800 the number and speed of burst frames has been reduced from the 2800. You'd think it would be easier to keep a better feature than to throw it away. The old MX1200 had a setting to adjust the degree of sharpening that was removed in the 1300.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2003, 12:44 PM   #13

MentorRon...I think the problem may be communication as well. If manufacturers really listened to their customers (perhaps even this Forum) they would understand what we want and then consider the price tradeoffs. I must remember we may not be representative of all customers, but the point you make about shot numbering (same on my 602) is an issue for everybody. I have an MP3 player that names its voice notes in year/day/date/time format: that makes each file pretty unique and easy to order.

If we started a thread for each cam manufacturers of best features included and what's missing, then if competing manufacturers pick up on it - then they might get the sales. Very often manufacturers seem to get a lot of things right, a new team comes in, and all the old bugs re-appear!

I think the issue with user variable compression rate has a lot to do with 'how many pictures can I get on a card?' which a lot of posters here ask. But when you consider the trend in memory size and price, there is no excuse now. I have an older 1Mpix cam and can now quite happily feed it my smaller cast off Smartmedia cards and shoot uncompressed. Similar situation with batts. On original 650maH batts it was a pain, but with cast off 1700 maH NiMh this old cam becomes a good learner for the kids. Regards - VOX
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:13 PM   #14

Default When is F700 coming out?

I've been reading everything I can about this camera. It interests me greatly, because I think dynamic range is the main factor limiting the quality of digital pics in consumer cameras these days (not resolution).

So, does anyone know when this camera is coming out? I've heard anywhere from this week to July. Either way, I'd like to see a review of the camera prior to purchase.

However, the concept of the camera seems sound. The other day, I took two pictures, one at EV-1 and another EV+1 and averaged them in photoshop. This approximately simulates the paired sensors used in the F700, one being four times more sensitive than the other (2 stops difference). The combined picture did achieve better dynamic range. However, combining pictures at EV-2 and EV+2 was much more dramatic. Either way, the picture combinding process only works for stationary subjects. The idea of combining the output of two sets of sensors with different sensitivities from the same exposure seems right on.
buffgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 5:03 PM   #15

pro video cams have 'zebra' which distorts only those areas of a pic. seen on the lcd which are white clipped. Don't know why still cams haven't done it. In any digital processing, the gains come when you operate as close to the maximumum signal range as possible and that's say 11111111

If you have 2 sets of sensors, doesn't that mean for highlights with detail, you could have lower resolution - but don't notice it? Yes it's better than losing it completely by clipping, but if you had all the pixels the same and shot a stop under - would that be better?

I'd need to think about 'dynamic range' since there is a limit in the processing to the number of bits used to quantize the signal. Increasing the number of quantisation levels will increase dynamic range, or doing fancy digital number stretching. It seems that the cam is converting the brick wall overload response to something smoother. This doesn't mean it stays linear for detail or brightness - but perhaps our eye is fooled by the result. White clip limiters in video cams have done this for years - without special sensors.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 6:18 PM   #16

Default Release Date

According to CNet.com the relese of the F700 will be in April. You may want to check out other cameras to come out within the next few months! Looks like there will be some great cameras.

www.cnet.com
verhobb is offline   Reply With Quote