Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:56 PM   #1

Hi! I'm new to digital cameras. I got a fujifilm finepix A340. Well it worked for some time and then it showed the low battery meter and shuts itself down.
The battries were that shipped with the package.(Panasonic LR6 AA-size alkaline) And i'm sure my friend would have used the camera that drained the batteries. But then i bought 2 new AA battries. Though it doesn't say alkaline or Ni-mh type...now the camera shows the low power warning and shutdown whenever i click on the shoot button.

1) Is it because i'm using batteries other than the types the camera supports ? or is it a fault in the camera ?

2) Does alkaline batteries have the ability to measure the remaining power - which shows as a meter in the camera where normal AA battries doesn't have.... which is the cause of the problem ?

Can someone please explain me what's going on.

Thanks.
Goddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2005, 2:36 PM   #2

It sounds to me like you used some "standard" AA batteries. They will not have enough power to adequately run your camera. You really need to have at least alkaline batteries. But you will get much better results and longer life from your batteries if you get some rechargeable NimH batteries, 2500 MaH.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 2:48 PM   #3

Yes i'm afraid it's "standard" AA batteries.

So that's why it showed low power warning and shuts down automatically.
I don't have much knowledge about the types of batteries and stuff. I always use the standard AA batteries on my TV/DVD remote.

So only alkaline and those Nimh batteries are capable of showing how much power consumed/left is it :?:
Old Nov 17, 2005, 2:53 PM   #4

A TV/DVD remote does not require a lot of power. Standard batteries will work just fine. But a digital camera is a completely different story. The batteries have to power the LCD screen, provide you with all of your controls, save the picture on the disk, provide power for the flash, etc.. The standard batteries just don't have that much capacity to handle all of that, and that is why you get the low warning. They simply are not suitable for use in your camera. And the rechargeable batteries have a much higher capacity than any alkaline batteries you might try.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:46 AM   #5

Yes, those LCDs really take up power doesn't it.
Thanks for the information. BTW, Which alkaline batteries should i buy ? ... i'm thinking of buying energizer - is it good ? .. I may buy the Nimh ones later when i get the cash.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 9:04 AM   #6
Administrator

Check out our Rechargeable Batteries page. You'll want high capacity rechargeable NiMH batteries (not Alkalines). Here is a quote from it:

Quote:
The first thing a new digicam owner quickly realizes is that those AA alkaline batteries included with their camera are next to worthless. I've gotten many emails from folks who wondered if their cameras were defective because they only got 20 or so shots before the batteries crapped out. Today's digital cameras are extremely high-drain devices. The batteries must power a color LCD, a motorized zoom lens, an autofocus system, the multi-megapixel imager and the associated processing hardware.

The answer is simple ... use high power NiMH or Li-ion rechargeable batteries.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:24 AM   #7

I agree with what JimC posted. Unless you have some specific reason for using alkaline batteries, or you simply like spending a lot of money on batteries, you would be well advised to purchase some rechargeable batteries. Yes, they are more expensive to purchase initially, but they can be recharged 1000 times and each charge will last significantly longer than a set of the best alkaline batteries you can buy. I still have the original alkaline batteries they came with my Fuji 5100. I have kept them as a backup in case my rechargeables fail at an inopportune moment. But I have only had to use them once for a couple of shots. Two or three sets of rechargeable batteries should keep you going for several years.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 4:20 AM   #8

Yes, you guys are right.
I bought a set of alkaline batteries just to get started and play with the features of my camera. Eveything worked well and there's nothing wrong with my camera. But the batteries died after taking 20 shots!:shock:

I'm going to buy a set of rechargable battries. :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys.