Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:02 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

Just got my new Fuji and its my first camera with so many options, can anyone give me some basic advice on the best settings for a group shot at a presentation of an award.

I know its difficult not knowing lighting etc, but I won't have time to get the book out and find out when I'm there! any advice on modes (Auto, A,P Etc), ISOand particularly flash use would be much appreciated.

I know its a newbee question but we all start somewhere!

Thanks
leeg180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:40 PM   #2

Well, I don't have my 9000 yet, so this is just a guess of what I would do. If I had just got my camera and hadn't had an opportunity to experiment with it, I would probably set the ISO to 800, set the camera to autoexposure, use the auto flash, and then rely on Photoshop postprocessing. It's too bad you can't do some experimenting first.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:36 AM   #3

Most people dislike the "softness" of the camera in the stock settings, if you find yourself in that category you can set the film to Chrome, and the sharpness to the highest setting. There are alot that seem to prefer that setting as it is closer to the output of the S7000 and S602 before processing.
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 6:11 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice, the chrome setting does seem to add an extra vibrance to the colours. Thanks again.
leeg180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:05 PM   #5

I don't know... about using Chrome.

Fuji put alot of knowledge about skin tones in Standard.

I would use default sharpening and sharpen in post processing.

The S9000 has a great built in flash ( read Steve's conclusion comments about the flash ).

When shooting a group I suggest no wider than f5.6, Flash, and a Tripod.

With a Tripod you can control the group ( usually ), by setting focus and exposure and composition. Once set, you will notneed to look through the camera, you can stand with your finger on the shutter and look over the group for everyone's face and attention and smile, then take the image. ( Doing this also makes youreally look Professional, which in fact, you are, by doing this).

Try Three quick ones. Believe me after three shots most of the group will already be walking away.

Good luck and please let us know how you do.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:56 PM   #6

Nick,

Fuji Chrome,atthe conclusion ofSteve S9000 review he mentioned setting Chrome give color similar to "slide films", this caught my attention. He knows Fuji films. One of Fuji slide is Velvia film,very well known among professional nature photographers.

Yes, when not sure what setting using flash, set f5.6 shoot all the way. The S9000 produces good portraits with bounce flash indoor. The best flash to use are Sunpak 383 or 411. The Sunpak Auto 411 is hard to find, ithas more auto settings than the 383. The Sunpak 411 set at ISO 100 go straight to f5.6 auto mode. If you live in a big city, check the paper if they have any camera show, you'll find a lot of acessories for the S9000 at very low price. I boughta usedSunpak 411 for $20.

Read the section of Fuji Velvia here.

http://www.miscmatter.50megs.com/web...creative_ideas
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 1:34 AM   #7

I wouldnt go above iso 200 as its prone to makeing a lot of noise. (hard to sharpen a noisy picture) I would follow every ones advice here but make sure to change your white balance to the lighting in the building and take a few test shots to see how the color is.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:55 AM   #8

I prefer to sharpen pp, but for my italy trip I used alot of chrome, it definately makes the colors alot better for me. I wasnt really shooting portraits though, I will remember the tips when I have to shoot more "people". Here is a link of the difference from chrome/standard settings in the Fuji F11, it will give you an idea of the difference. (Warning: there are alot of photos so if you are using a dial up it may take awhile!)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15958867
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:55 AM   #9

Nick is right about this, the chrome setting is really designed for landscapes/nature shots. Chrome for portraits looks weird to me. Normal looks fine I generally leave my camera on std for sharpening and if something needs tidying up CS2 can normally fix it.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote