Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 25, 2005, 9:40 PM   #11

I checked the Photo-Freeware.net website and itdoesn't look like there's a Mac version of s7raw available, at least not yet.

I did manage to find something else, though. It's a share-ware program called dcRaw-X and you can download it here:

http://www.frostyplace.com/dcraw/

Hopefully this'll work for you. Keep us posted.

PS - The S5200 is a great camera. I've had mine for a couple of months now and I really like it a lot. I don't know of another camera that can do what the S5200 does for anywhere near the price.

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 5:58 AM   #12

Although not Freeware you might consider a demo of VueScan (for Mac And Windows). VueScan is an incredible scanner manager and image manipulator that I have used for years and years. It does a way bettter job than almost any other software of its type.If you do decide to buy (or rather, add it to your Christmas list), it comes in Regular and Pro format with differing functions.http://www.hamrick.com¬*The¬*review here, of Fuji's own FileViewer software for Mac is¬* not very favourable and in looking at the S9500 (European market) this was it's only minus point.Hope this helps.Jules
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 12:26 PM   #13

julian...you got me thinking...I have GraphicConverter X and did some digging. I found that it supports the following RAW formats:
  • CRW, CR2 - Canon[/*]
  • NEF - Nikon [/*]
  • DCR - Kodak [/*]
  • ORF - Olympus [/*]
  • X3F - Sigma [/*]
  • RDC - Rollei [/*]
  • RAF - FujiFilm [/*]
  • SRF - Sony [/*]
  • PEF - Pentax [/*]
  • MRW - Konica/Minolta [/*]
  • DNG - Adobe general raw format [/*]
All I want to do is convert to TIFF...so this is very promising. Okay...now I'm no longer worried.
dewaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 1:52 PM   #14

If you look in the documentation provided with VueScan there are some basic instructions for how to create a "raw-scan"; "raw" in this sense means a clean scan frmo camera-raw to TIFF. The insructions are a little out of date versus the current version of the application but the principles are fine.The author suggests;1. load the camera-raw file to HDD2. do a "raw-scan" to TIFF (instructions provided) - having created a configuration setting for raw-scans (and saved it for later use) it is easy to do a batch scan across a whole folder of camera-raw files.3. Keeping both the camera-raw and the raw-scan files as originals, rescan the raw-scan (TIFF) files to JPG, with all of the necessary settings to get the picture you want. Because you have the raw-scan you can do this time and time again without touching your originals.The amazing thing is that although you end up with two originals (camera-raw + raw-scan/tiff) you can add this to (say) iView (www.iviewmultimedia.com) you can create a workflow that professional photographers (using Aperture or Capture One Pro) spend over $750 to achieve - all for about $75. Cool deal.Helpfully iView has a PDF here (http://www.iviewmultimedia.com/downloads/guides.php) that can quickly be modified to work with iView+VueScan; with a little imagination it could work for iPhoto+Vuescan!Brgds/Jules (I wish I could format on this Forum - sorry)
Old Nov 27, 2005, 5:54 AM   #15

Two further points coming from this; 1) in order to do RAW importing into VueScan appears to need a "Pro"license for VueScan [ie VueScanPro] and 2) I noticed in GraphicConverter there is a File|Open command and in the resulting dialog there is a Filter option. The drop-down list includes an option for "FUJI BAS", "FUJI BAS IMG" and "FUJI RAF". I guess this means that Graphic Converter has Fuji raw import functionality as well?¬* ¬*Brgds Jules.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 3:16 PM   #16

Julian, in reference to GraphicConverter X, that's what it says on its homepage.

GraphicConverter supports various file formats. http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/gcabout_formats.htm
dewaun is offline   Reply With Quote