Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:45 PM   #1

I went to a local camera store to play around with the new FinePix s5200 and couldn't find where you choose "RAW" as your image format/size.

Anyone have a clue? This is my first Fuji camera to actually fall in love with, so I'm not familiar with Fuji's graphical menu system.
dewaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:21 AM   #2
Administrator

Fuji usually puts the CCD-RAW option in the Setup menu. Go figure... it should be in the Photo Mode menu accessed by the "f" button as far as I am concerned.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:28 AM   #3

Or, at least it should be in the same menu when selecting file size options like Fine JPEG, Super Fine JPEG, RAW, etc.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:58 AM   #4

It's in the set-up menu. After you press the menu/ok button, scroll down to 'set' , press menu/ok again and it'll be the second entry on page 2.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 1:09 AM   #5

Thanks, Toshi43.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 5:34 AM   #6

Dewaun, that's where every 5100 & 5200 user whois familiar with raw, whishesFuji would put it instead of buried deep in the set-up menu!
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 1:34 PM   #7

I'm about to buy the s5200 and am curious if there's a feedback or wishlist forum that Fuji engineers actually listen to that we could submit requests to. I'm beginning to see some amazing photos taken by forum members on the s5200. I'm getting more anxious and it's harder each day to wait for when I can get my camera!

Old Nov 25, 2005, 2:20 PM   #8

I've had the 5500 (5100) for quite a while now and it is a truly fantastic camera - in fact I think it deserves a lot more acclaim in the market place. If my experience is anything to go by then you won't regret getting the 5200 which I believe is every bit as good and much more. I'm beginning to think its a better option than the 9500!
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 2:47 PM   #9

In addition to the location of the RAW feature, another forum member was noting that you cannot turn off the camera's Noise Reduction and Image processing -even- in RAW mode.

Is this true?

Also...anyone on Mac OS X have suggestions for a good freeware RAW converter app? or reasons to use or not to use Fuji's own RAW converter application?

Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 3:06 PM   #10

The raw converter that comes with the camera is simply a program to convert the raw image to an 8-bit tif image. It doesn't provide you with any capability to manipulate the raw image prior to the conversion. If you don't have any other raw converter available to you, you might find S7Raw useful. It will allow you to manipulate the raw image before you save it. And it will enable you to save the image as a 16-bit PSD or TIF image as well. Just do a Web search; it should be easy to find. It is free.

Oops! I forgot that you are using a Mac. Sorry, don't think my suggestion will help you.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote