Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 21, 2005, 2:13 AM   #1

hi... I just bought a Fuji S5200/5600 and I was wondering if I could use the Telephoto Lense, Wideangle Lense, Polarizer..... etc available for the S5000... or if there is a Lens Adaptor I could buy that would fit something like that? or if you have any suggestions of how to use a telephoto lense or polarizer lense, it would be very much appreciated... thank you
andyhui01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:16 AM   #2

btw... just to make the question simpler, what is the size of the lense thread of S5200?... is it 55mm just like the S5000 with adaptor?
andyhui01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:48 PM   #3

Yes, the thread is 55mm and any 55mm filter/lens can be used in front of the Fuji lens. Here are some samples of filters/lenses I've used with my Fuji S5600 camera:

RokunarClose up lenses +1, +2, +4:

Hoya Multi Image filter:

I purchesed these filters on eBay for $14.00. Also included was a Pro 55mm polarizing filter which I haven't used yet. The close-up lenses and the multi image filters each had their own leather case and the polarizing filter had a soft vinal case.

These shots were taken using 55mm Yashica Wide Angle and Telephoto auxilliary lenses. They were takenfrom the same spot with the Fuji lens set at maximum wide angle. I've included a shot without any lens so you can compare:

Wide Angle:

Normal:

Telephoto:

I purchased these Yashica add on lenses on eBay for $1.00. They're fine pieces of glass and work perfectly with my Fuji camera. They even came with caps and their own case! No one bid against me which I thought rather odd considering all the digi cameras out there with a 55mm filter thread.

Good add on filters and lenses can be purchased for excellent prices and they will work perfectly with your Fuji S5600/5200 camera.

Erick Emert, None Such Photo, http://www.pbase.com/yarnspnr/fuji_s5200_gallery
Yarnspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 1:29 PM   #4

do you need to buy an adapter, or you just put this things on thread on the lens?
Kuroyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:18 PM   #5

You don't need an adaptor. They thread right on the front of the lens. I also have a 55mm lens shade that I use with a UV filter as well.

Erick Emert, NoneSuch Photo

http://www.pbase.com/yarnspnr/fuji_s5200_gallery
Old Nov 26, 2005, 1:55 PM   #6

Hey Yarnspinner, nice sample shots and info on the S5200 filter/add-on lenscapabilities. As a longtime Canon F-1/AE-1 user, I have plenty of 55mm filters andclose-up lenses, which is one factor that has lead me to seriously consider the Fuji S5200 as my first digicam. That and the 1600 ISO capability (to update my enjoyment with natural light photography and push-processing Tri-X in HC-110 many years back)...

Couple of questions, if I may... Have you noticed any vignetting at all in using standard threaded filters with the S5200, at wide or tele settings? I'd be very interested in seeing polarizer samples if you have any yet.I see you're also a former darkroom guy - have you tried anything in b & w or sepia? Any monochrome samples to show at fine quality ISO 64 as well as 1600?

I'm used to using a heavy Manfrotto tripod for landscapes, architectural shots, etc. In your opinion, would using a tripod with the S5200 (Anti-Blur off) be able to produce as sharp an image at ISO 64 as other ultrazooms having Image Stabilization, such as the Panasonic FZ-5? I'mnot quite sure how the Anti-Blur compares to IS. If all it does isboost the ISO rating for a higher shutter speed, I'd be concerned about introducing noise on images intended for possible enlargement to, say, 11 x 14.

Any and all opinions on thislatter question would be of great interest. Thanks!
essjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:10 PM   #7

You've described Fuji's Anti-Blur mode perfectly. Fuji uses some kind of noise-reduction scheme to make thiswork and it seemsquite effective. It's actuallybetter than IS in some situations, like action shots.You canget very clean shots up to ISO 400, at 800 you start to lose some detail. Still, very few non-DSLRs can match this kind of performance.

However, I've found that using a tripod with my S5200 for landscapes (Anti-Blur off)makes a noticeable difference in picture quality vs hand-held with Anti-Blur on. I'veheard that the same is true for a lot of cameras equipped with IS.

The S5200 also has a Normal Light mode whichseems to be an aperture-priority version ofAnti-Blur.I find this to be a much more useful feature than Anti-Blur because it allows me to take flash-off pictures in low lighting conditions.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 5:55 AM   #8

andyhui01 wrote:
Quote:
hi... I just bought a Fuji S5200/5600 and I was wondering if I could use the Telephoto Lense, Wideangle Lense, Polarizer..... etc available for the S5000... or if there is a Lens Adaptor I could buy that would fit something like that? or if you have any suggestions of how to use a telephoto lense or polarizer lense, it would be very much appreciated... thank you
I am surprised the filter tread diameter is not shown on the end of the lens somewhere usually it is.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:07 AM   #9

Hi Essjay. I haven't noticed any vignetting when using any of my filters or aux lenses, but I haven't printed them and put them under a lupe either. Still haven't used the polarizer, but I'm working on it.

I just bought a Canon Super Sure Shot with w/a and tele aux lenses. Can't wait to try them out if they're 55mm. It will be a week until delivery.

I've only owned the S5200 (my first adventure into digital as well) so haven't experimented with monochrome yet. Still getting the hang of such a light camera after the weight of my Canon A-1 w 75-210 zoom and motor drive. Such a difference. Also getting used to the various program modes.

Using a tripod will ALWAYS eliminate camera shake problems. I always keep one in the back of the van. You can get away with lighter tripods with the new lighter cameras. The smaller size of the S5200 allows for decent hand held shots but if you have the time - use the tripod. I love the natural light setting.

Erick Emert - NoneSuch Photo

http://www.pbase.com/yarnspnr
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:15 AM   #10

essjay wrote:
Quote:
Hey Yarnspinner, nice sample shots and info on the S5200 filter/add-on lenscapabilities. As a longtime Canon F-1/AE-1 user, I have plenty of 55mm filters andclose-up lenses, which is one factor that has lead me to seriously consider the Fuji S5200 as my first digicam. That and the 1600 ISO capability (to update my enjoyment with natural light photography and push-processing Tri-X in HC-110 many years back)...

Couple of questions, if I may... Have you noticed any vignetting at all in using standard threaded filters with the S5200, at wide or tele settings? I'd be very interested in seeing polarizer samples if you have any yet.I see you're also a former darkroom guy - have you tried anything in b & w or sepia? Any monochrome samples to show at fine quality ISO 64 as well as 1600?

I'm used to using a heavy Manfrotto tripod for landscapes, architectural shots, etc. In your opinion, would using a tripod with the S5200 (Anti-Blur off) be able to produce as sharp an image at ISO 64 as other ultrazooms having Image Stabilization, such as the Panasonic FZ-5? I'mnot quite sure how the Anti-Blur compares to IS. If all it does isboost the ISO rating for a higher shutter speed, I'd be concerned about introducing noise on images intended for possible enlargement to, say, 11 x 14.

Any and all opinions on thislatter question would be of great interest. Thanks!
As with any camera a tripod is essential when using LOW ISO's pushing the film is OK when you absolutley have to or want some grain for "artistic" reasons but ISO 64 for digital is still the best for landscapes so don't throw that heavy beast away just yet.

You will get vignetting at wide even without filters especially on very bright days this is of course fixable in PS.

BW is OK but you need to push the contrast most of my BW's came out a bit flat buth that could just be me. I don't think sepia can be done "in camera" but again PS can do a pretty good job creating the effect
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote