Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:31 AM   #1

Fujifilm FinePix S9500 - Test conclusion
Kai Thon, DIWA's test manager comments: "The FinePix S9500 is a compact package that will solve most photographic challenges from virtually any photographer, professional and amateur alike. It is also very budget-friendly, considering the price of any 28-300 mm f/2.8-4.9 zoom lens with super macro capability as close as 1 cm, not to forget the well reputed Super CCD HR image sensor with 9 Mp resolution and many professional-like features. DIWA experts found the FinePix S9500 to be a perfect assembly of imaging essentials built into a user-friendly body at a very competitive price."

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:11 AM   #2

Hi Nick

Where is this review to be found please. I really would like to read it

Thanks

Andy Lee
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 9:59 AM   #3

If you go to the DIWA Awards web site, it seems a little confusing.

They have a new Platinum category but there is no other reference to this category and in fact, if you look at the Olympus there, the following page describes it as a GOLD winner!

There is no award listed for the S9000 yet, I presume they haven't added it yet - however, this is the article in question:

Fujifilm FinePix S9500 receives DIWA Gold Award

curiousity54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 1:02 PM   #4

Pls note the Panasonic FZ30, Nikon 8800also got a Gold award by the same institution.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 1:35 PM   #5

curiousity54 wrote:
Quote:
If you go to the DIWA Awards web site, it seems a little confusing.

They have a new Platinum category but there is no other reference to this category and in fact, if you look at the Olympus there, the following page describes it as a GOLD winner!

There is no award listed for the S9000 yet, I presume they haven't added it yet - however, this is the article in question:

Fujifilm FinePix S9500 receives DIWA Gold Award

Cheers for that I thought that was the right place but was a little uncertain. They do seem to like the camera rather a lot!! But I have to question the

" It's a real shame the JPEG compression is that strong because the FinePix S9500 can really deliver stunning images at high sensitivities. But you have to shoot in RAW to be able to see it. In JPEG the compression is visibly present, even at low ISO values. But shooting in RAW gives you perfect images."

This is simply not true! whilst the high ISO performance is OK it is far from perfect even in RAW format. Maybe just a bit enthusiastic in their praise. In no way does the S9500 compete at ISO1600 with even an entry DSLR like the D50.

The reviewer also waxes lyrical about using RAW mode for all things good about the S9500 and whilst it is true, the one liner

"Even if it does mean that it takes some extra time for writing the images onto the memory card."

really does gloss over the reality of the snails pace the camera operates at in RAW mode. Again compared with RAW on a DSLR it is sluggish at best.

There are very good reasons why the S9500 is cheaper than a DSLR and the 2 items listed above are good examples of these. The S9500 is a very good camera indeed andat low ISO in Fine JPG mode it is hard to differentiate PQ between it and a D50!

The plus points of a fixed lens (although even this has it's negative points as well)and live preview will outweigh some of the points against it, to others they are and will remain unacceptable in a a camera some people would like to equate to a DSLR.

Personally I can't make my mind up I have a D50 here to evaluate against my S9500 and so far the jury is still out.

I took some test shots using both cameras whilst a little impromptu they do illustrate the differences under these circumstances note these are the original JPG images as shot from the cameras both at their highest settings. They are big files so a bit slow

http://www.arl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/..._test_page.htm

http://www.arl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/...st_picture.htm

Old Nov 22, 2005, 1:38 AM   #6

It bothers me that commercial interest might have some influence in these types of 'awards' & 'reviews' - or is this just me being conspirital?

Really like Steve's review - objective and I think, thoroughly impartial. It tells me the 9500 is a good camera for me which pleases me no end, sinceI've already decided on one!
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:24 AM   #7

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
It bothers me that commercial interest might have some influence in these types of 'awards' & 'reviews' - or is this just me being conspirital?

Really like Steve's review - objective and I think, thoroughly impartial. It tells me the 9500 is a good camera for me which pleases me no end, sinceI've already decided on one!

I don't know Steve this conspiracy has been doing the rounds for years and not just with Camera reviews. There probably is a grain of truth about it but how far it goes is anybodies guess. I would have thought that an objective review like Steves would carry a lot more weight with the people who understand what they are getting than some "Fanboy rave" with some fairly obvious errors in i, but I guess there are a lot of people who just need reassuring that they may have spent their hard earned cash wisely.

Me I still can't decide S9500 or D50 yes the D50 is a better camera in some ways but it does cost me around £200 more than the S9500 and the Fuji STILL as features I would love to have on the D50.