Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 26, 2005, 5:40 AM   #1

[sorry this is all squashed-up; I cannot workout how to format paragraphs on this forum] I currently have a S5000 and am generally speaking very happy with it. It produces good photos and is simple to use. The lense is fine and both controls and menus easy to use. Where I am not happy is that as soon as I decide I want to take a photo; the image is in-frame and I'm ready to shoot - I press the shutter button to the first position, and the screen goes blank as the AF/AE control operates. WTF! By the time the image returns the shot is not framed in the same way (kids on the whole rarely stay still for long). This is such an issue with me that I'm considering flogging the camera on eBay and starting again. Of course it could be me and more experienced users might in this case drop me a word to the wise. However, given that the Fuji/UK promo-site makes much of the increased speed in this area I suspect that it is not just me. But, because I love the Fuji menu system so much I've been thinking of replacing the S5000 with an S9500 so my concern is this, when I press the shutter button to the first (AF/AE) point on the S9500 will that too go blank and leave me in the dark as well? Can any S5500/S7000/S9x00 user comment on this for me? Thanks in advance/Jules
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2005, 9:49 AM   #2

s7000 =

screen stays active while autofocussing
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3

according to www.pdreview.com the S5000 has a 0-S1 AE/AF lag-time of between 1.2 - 1.7 seconds whereas the S9X00 has between 0.25 - 0.75. If the 7xxx/9xxx keep their viewfinder "open" through AF/AE (0-S1) that's very encouraging. thanks bernabau.
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 3:01 PM   #4

s7000 =

start-up when camera turned on = 1.5-2.5 seconds

autofocus when depressing shutter 1/2 way = .5-.75 second

'lag' AFTER autofocus = 1/30 second

overall ability to capture action at 'peak' = fair - good
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:12 PM   #5

:? Has your camera always done this?There might be something wrong, maybe a firmware glitch or something.When I push the shutter button halfway on my S5200, the screen freezes for a split-second, but doesn't go blank.

Have a look atyour owner's manual - itshould tell you what to expect when using AE/AF lock, which essentially is what you're doing when you depress the shutter halfway and hold it.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:14 PM   #6

The S9500 doesn't go blank when pressing the AF button down so you should be happy, I am.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 2:52 PM   #7

I have the S5500 which I believe is the same as the S5000. I love it, and think it's a great camera. Mine doesn't go blank at all. I wonder too whether it may be a fault. My new S9500 doesn't either.

Good luck!
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote