Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 26, 2005, 7:05 AM   #1

Anyone use the S9000 at 5 megapixels? I would use this setting for most of my work as a photo journalist. Thanks.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2005, 7:55 AM   #2

I've been using mine at 5 megapixels and very happy with the results. I do believe than shooting at 5 will be more than adequate for all your needs.

Here's a few of my pics...http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16
Jake the Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:26 AM   #3

reviewing your images in 5mp mode is much much quicker than in 9mp! moving between images is nearly instant compared to a couple seconds for the big files.
newdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:17 AM   #4

Just remember that you cannot use the "Fine" mode. That means your 5 MP images will be more highly compressed. I don't know if that will make any difference in your situation. If you need the lower compression for higher quality, and 5 MP is what you need, it might be a good idea to consider the S5200.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:30 PM   #5

To me it would depend on wheter you may need to print a captured moment.

If printing, the more pixels the better.

And you usually only have one chance to press the shutter button for 5mp or 9 mp.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 9:13 AM   #6

Thnaks to all who responded. No "fine" mode in 5 megapixels may not work.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 6:33 PM   #7

Why bother to buy a 9mp camera and then use it at 5mp? Just for smaller file size and quicker handling of files? I always shoot at 12mp fine soft or RAWwith my S7000 as I never know when the next shot might be one I really want to print at maximum size. The minimal time difference in handling larger file sizes makes no difference to me, memory constaints with large files is not really a problem either, I keep a 2gb Hitachi microdrive and xD cards in the cam at all times, so it will easily handle 400-500 pics (though I never put that many on there, downloading long before maxing out). Maybe shooting at lower resolution works for you, I would rather shoot at the highest resolution my camera is capable of just in case that awesome photo opportunity comes up.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 4:23 AM   #8

Hi Clyde!

I also think the same...however I learn..., that more "Pixels"...can help you when you "Crop"...your photo, so will degrade much less the final quality!

I use the free Goggle software Picasa 2.1, and mostly I "Crop"...as I like NO be so close to the photographed object, and "Crop"...sometimes more or less depends, & for so 9MB helps me very much...of course seem crazy ti mostly photographers...that for get 4x6 inc (10x15cm), final photos...DON'T needed 9MB camara...BUT....I need it!

Cheers,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:19 AM   #9

I standard use 9mp, also for the photo's which I make for the local newspaper here. printquality of pix in a newspaper is crap ofcourse, and 9mp or 5mp would not make any difference when seeing the endresult in the paper. But you never know if a crop is needed from a certain photo and using 9mp would give a more sharper crop.

Last month a crop was made from one of my photo's, so I'll keep using 9mp, with 1Gb CF and a 256mb Xd card, I have enough space, and in 9mp Normal mode I can make hundreds of pix even. So 5mp I would only use if I get a shortage of memoryspace on my card.

proton is offline   Reply With Quote