Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:29 PM   #1

I got my S9000 this week. My wife and daughter tell me that I have to wait until Christmas. But I convinced them that I needed to test it to make sure I didn't get one of the bad ones. I took a few indoor shots, and they were fine. Then, I went outside and took a bunch of pictures and there wasn't a single one of them that was really sharp. I could find some areas of the pictures that looked good, but for general outdoor pictures I wasn't impressed at all. I got looking at the settings and discovered that the auto focus mode was set to spot rather than multi-area. I wasn't shooting for spot focus. So I changed the camera to multi-area and shot another set of images this afternoon, and everything turned out the way I wanted. The pictures are sharp and clear, even at full zoom. None of them are good enough to share on this website. But I'm very pleased with the results I have gotten since I changed the setting. Now I have to relinquish the camera for the next three weeks.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:04 PM   #2

If you can get them to let you repackage it, slip something else in the box and keep the camera! :lol:
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 3:19 AM   #3

That's great news JP - there was a thread on DPRev where a similar situation occuredconcerning the Spot & Multi metering setting which also caused a suspicion of an exposurefault, but which turned out be unwarranted for the reasons you describe. Sounds like you are going to have a great Christmas! 22 days of manual readingto go?
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 4:45 AM   #4

Having had the S9500 for a few weeks and my first one being faulty on two points, I would suggest to your wife and daughter that in order to give the camera a proper full test, you would need at least agood 21 days to check everything out. Your wife and daughter could then wrap it late Christmas eve' ready for you in the morning. They would be much more pleased knowing that you would be getting one you are happy with. :idea:And as Steve says, at least try and get the manual to go through!

On a serious note though, just bear in mind whether your retailer has limited period exchange or money back policy. Jessops, my retailer has a thirty day exchange or refund policy. Also if (God forbid) you do have to return it, make sure you keep all the wrappings, box, etc. especially the little plastic bag with the Fuji sticker on it.

I really haven't had much opportunity to use mine much mainly due to the darker, shorter, overcast days we've been having here. Having said that, it has forced me to explore other things to photograph that I wouldn't normally consider shooting.

Anyway, welcome to the S9500 and here's hoping you have a very happy Christmas.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 4:50 AM   #5
Baz

Thanks for that information JP, but I find the terms you use are confusing. You speak of changing the autofocus mode from spot to multi-area. According to the manual P68, there are 3 autofocus modes:
Center
Multi
Area

Which are all different. There is no multi-area mode.

However with the light metering on P47 the terms spot & multi are used (as SteveDak mentioned)

As the shots are now "sharp & clear", I guess it must have been the autofocus setting you changed rather than the exposure. Is that true? Could you clarify the mode you changed, and the settings used.

I'm using the "center" autofocus mode without focus problems, so I am interested in your experience. Anyway, it's a good excuse for you to get the camera & manual out of the box before Christmas.

Cheers.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 5:11 AM   #6

Hi Baz, I see your point - I mentioned the exposure (metering) issue as a parallel example only,think JP was referring to focus though.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:33 AM   #7

Sorry guys. Maybe I got the terminology wrong, but you get the idea. It was the autofocus setting that was not set correctly. As far as my not relinquishing the camera is concerned, I think I had better do it. My wife reluctantly let me order the camera. After all, I haven't had my 5100 a whole year yet. And she has been so pleased with the pictures from that camera that she had a hard time understanding why I wanted another new one so soon.

On page 68 in my PDF manual for the 9000 there is a heading, AF Mode. The terminology is Center, Multi, and Area. My camera was to set on Center. When I switched it to Multi, it solved the problem for the kind of shooting I was doing. After I made the change, I switched between Program mode and Auto mode and couldn't detect any difference in the sharpness. The first set of pictures were all taken in Program mode, so that is why the setting made the difference.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:43 AM   #8

jphess wrote:
Quote:
On page 68 in my PDF manual for the 9000 there is a heading, AF Mode. The terminology is Center, Multi, and Area. My camera was to set on Center. When I switched it to Multi, it solved the problem for the kind of shooting I was doing. After I made the change, I switched between Program mode and Auto mode and couldn't detect any difference in the sharpness. The first set of pictures were all taken in Program mode, so that is why the setting made the difference.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Those settings are only available in the P S A M modes.
I don't think they make any difference if shooting in Full Auto.

Edster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 8:01 AM   #9

Valid point Edster - I assume JP was in one of the PSAM modes?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 4:08 PM   #10

Yup.