Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 4, 2005, 6:08 PM   #1

Hello

On this image,quality is bad. very bad.WHY ? how to explain that.

http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bq9pw.jpg

This image is real size, I crop original , and exif is in file.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"APN S9500
ISO: 200
Speed 1/1000 is a little too fast
focal length 25 mm
Aperture 3,86

Thank for your help.
at.choum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:50 AM   #2

It looks to me there are 2 things affecting the quality.

Firstly, there is just not enough light. As you say 1/1000 was probably too fast. If you check the histogram it is all bunched towards the darker end using only 65% of the total range available. This was possibly caused because there was a lot of snow in the picture which is bright and the camera will try to compensate. In general for snowy scenes you should overexpose.

Secondly this is a very small crop representing about 5 cm of a printed picture. Blowing it up to full screen sizejust highlights further the lack of light. Have you tried printing to see how it comes out? My guess is that it would be much less noticeable when printed out.

I have had similar experiences withthe S9500, but I have also had very sharp pictures with the same camera. In fact all the cameras I have had, digital and film have taken bad pictures at some point andI put it down to user error. I think that there is often an expectation that if you get a better camera with more pixels then all the photos should be better but even the best DSLR can take a poor picture.

Having said that,if all the pictures you are getting are bad then itcould be a camera fault.
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:27 AM   #3

As an example, here is a 100% crop of an image I took yeterday in low light, using anti-blur whichused ISO800.

The on screen result is very grainy and unsharp but with minimal processing (noise reduction and unsharp mask) the resulting print was as sharp as I achieved from my S5000 on a bright sunny day.
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:56 AM   #4

Can you post the post processed image too?

thanks
jonjon98765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:42 PM   #5

This is the top corner of the printed version. I had resized it to 1200 pixels across, to print out a 6"x4" print at 200dpi.
Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:07 AM   #6

Your results look very nice!!

You say, noise reduction and unsharp. Unsharp is a typical Photoshop or Elements term. Do you use one of these for your post processing?

Is the noise reducer a plug-in? [ Noise Ninja ?]

Hate to just keep asking questions but am sincerely interested in your results.

thanks

jonjon98765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:28 AM   #7

Hi, I actually use Paint Shop Pro 9 but I guess the Unsharp process is identical to Photoshop or Elements.

For noise reduction I used Neat Image, a free program that Proton put me on to,(Thanks Proton). I have also tried Noiseware but I prefer Neat Image.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:35 AM   #8

At the moment I have Noise Ninja, how does this compare to Neat Image? Is Neat Image a plug-in that I can use with CS or is it a stand only program?

If people recommend that I change to Neat Image where can I download it from?

Thanks
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:40 AM   #9

Hi Shadow,

Herewith Neatimage link : http://www.neatimage.com/index.html?56

Never used Ninja, but I've found Neatimage quite good and very useful at times - give it a go its free! Depending on what cam you have, youcan also download anoise profilefrom same site for your cam, to use with the program.

Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:15 PM   #10

Noise Ninja is at least as good as Neat Image. There have been comparative tests online and Noise Ninja usually wins by a hair. They improve them both regularly, so it is hard to say which is best right now. But if you have Noise Ninja there is no reason to switch.

I notice you used spot metering but it is hard to tell without the full frame what it might have been metered for. If the subject was in the spot frame in the viewfinder it should have metered better. Spot metering is a good idea in snow, but you have to pre-meter by holding the shutter release halfway with the center on the target. Then reframe holding the button halfway and take the photo.

Since you generated 1/1000 shutter speed I would guess a good exposure would have been around 1/400 or so. That would give you 1/200 at ISO100, which might have been sufficient for a 25mm focal length – I'm guessing that is about 120mm equivalent. I wouldn't raise the ISO to get a higher shutter speed than you need for still subjects.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote