Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:52 PM   #1

OK, finally got my S5200. Can't complain, it was worth the wait. Any way I just read the start up instructions (really), basically set the date time, put in the batteries (the ones that came with it) and the memory card (the 16MB that came with it). Did 1-9 in 5N mode, then switch to 3M mode for the rest. Since I received it at dusk, it is dark now. First thing I had to do is check out the Natural light mode. The only thing I did to this is resize to 800X600 and save it so the file size was as close to 75K (my choice) as I could get it from Photo Elements 2. I was really suprised how close to life like the lighting actually looks.

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:55 PM   #2

So to compare I rotated the knob over to AUTO mode and then snapped this one, as with all that follow, I only resized and saved in JPG as close to 75K as I could in Photo Elements 2. The colors are closer to when the room is awash in sunlight, but not the 100 watt Halogen that is actually lighting the room at this time.

Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:59 PM   #3

This was another Natural Light photo, but this room is lite by a 4 foot daylight flourescent fixture (2 bulbs), (feeding time by the way). I knew her face was in the dark and it would not make a good photo, but I had try to see what would happen, how else do you learn?

Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:01 PM   #4

So I had to go back to AUTO mode and see what the camera would do. Poped up the flash and this is what I got. Yes she is holding a food tidbit to get her attention.

Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:04 PM   #5

Then I tried to capture her "catching" a thrown tidbit, 3 pics where I held the shutter down half way for the AUTO mode to focus and stuff, then snapped the pic after that was done. All three came out like this. Seems under exposed? Why would the exposure be different between just mashing the shutter, and half a mash with the shutter trip seconds later? I'm missing something here, can anyone explain?

Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:00 PM   #6

When you 'just mash the shutter' you're not giving the camera the short amount of time it needs to set focus and exposure. It looks like the flash didn't fire on the last shot, so you either had it turned off or the camera didn't have enough time to recycle it.

I also have an S5200, and I find that setting the AF/MF button to C-AF (Continuous AutoFocus) makes the camera respond quicker because it doesn't have to pre-focus before every shot. This works better in 'Normal Light' mode because the flash is disabled, but it does eat batteries a lot faster, so don't forget to turn it back to S-AF (Single AutoFocus) when you're finished.

The S5200, like most ultra-zooms, has difficulty setting focus and exposure at longer focal lengths with low levels of ambient light.In most cases, the camera will be more responsive at a shorter (wider-angle) FL. Ihope that helps.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:34 PM   #7

actually the flash did fire on that last shot (you can see a slight yellow eye), I just pressed half way (I saw the AF lamp kick in) then waited and snapped it, flash went off, everything. Like I said I had three I did all the same way, and all three came out the same, and the flash fired on all three.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:54 AM   #8

fofa wrote:
Quote:
actually the flash did fire on that last shot (you can see a slight yellow eye), I just pressed half way (I saw the AF lamp kick in) then waited and snapped it, flash went off, everything. Like I said I had three I did all the same way, and all three came out the same, and the flash fired on all three.
Well, I'm stumped. Could you post the EXIF info from that last shot?Maybe you could tryanother series of shots under the same lighting conditions and see what happens, this time try a different setting, like Portrait.

Do you hear the camera 'beep' after you press the shutter halfway? That's the camera's 'ready' signal - if you don't hear it, the camera's not ready to take the shot. Failing that, try resetting the camera. It's the last item on page 4 of the setup menu.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:12 PM   #9

Ok, Here is the EXIF data from that photo:

Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:16 PM   #10

But this is one of the reasons I choose the S5200 over the FZ5/FZ20
Tonight was my daughters choir performance, in a church. I was sitting in the back (big church, not huge or monsterous), this is a full optical zoom, monopod, Natural Light mode. Only thing I did here is rezise and save in a mode so the file was as close to 75K (my choice) as possible.