Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:04 AM   #1

Hello All,

A short ride through Manhattan:

http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/1025205

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:17 PM   #2

Hi.

I'm still undecided between the s9000 and Sony's R1, so please allow me a question on these shots.

Some of these images show a substantial amount of noise as well as loss of detail due to (in-camera?) noise reduction. For example, image #7 "Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree" has clearly visible noise even at the smallest view.

It's broad daylight. What ISO are these shot at? Or where else does this noise come from?

cheers, nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:40 PM   #3

apparently the shots were taken from inside a car through the glass

not bad, but w/o knowing exif not conclusive

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:46 AM   #4

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
apparently the shots were taken from inside a car through the glass

not bad, but w/o knowing exif not conclusive

obviously, shooting through a window mighthave a negative impact on the image quality. however, the noise and smudge i'm referring to doesn't look like the result of window distortion...
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:34 PM   #5

Hello All,

Print wise noise is a non-issue.

My intention was to show images captured under very difficult circumstances.

The subjects are what is important to me.

If you are concened with noise on a monitor, not many cameras will satisfy you.

I suggest you check out the 20D if you want noise performance, but watch out for two issues:

1) CMOS always clips highlights ( even the 5D at Photo Expo, by a Pro with studio lighting ), ( Iown D30 & D60 and learned this first hand ).

2) DSLR = $$$$$$$$

Regards, Nicholas

P.S. Regarding the R-1, I have only a WWW based knowledge of the camera. But there definitely seems to be a problem with indoor focusing. I was considering the R-1, but if you have to worry about the R-1focusing, you are not holding a camera IMHO.

Old Dec 10, 2005, 12:18 PM   #6

Personally, I thought the Manhattan photos were very good. So I guess that will tell some of you how discriminating I am when it comes to photography. I think a lot of people were expecting the 9000/9500 to be something that it isn't; a perfect camera. And I also think it's unfortunate that there was an apparent bad batch of them when they were first released. Now, it seems that some people are afraid to purchase one for fear that they will get one of the bad ones. Or else if they have purchased one, it almost seems that some people want it to be one of the bad ones so that they can return it. When I first received my 9000 I went out and took a bunch of pictures, downloaded them, and then panicked. I thought they were all out of focus; I thought the focus was soft; I thought the pictures I was taking had every problem I had read about. But when I finally settled down to REALLY look at the pictures in Photoshop I soon came to realize that the technical quality of the pictures was really very good. The problem was that I really hadn't taken the time to take good pictures.

I think the 9000 is a very good camera. The more I use it the more I am convinced that it is a very good camera. When I bought mine I did everything wrong. I bought from one of those notorious Manhattan camera outlets that everyone says to avoid. I even bought mine from one of the distributors that was specifically named as one to avoid. My serial number is in the list of bad batches. But I must say that I think my camera is performing very nicely.

I read a comment in another thread by someone who stated that they never took a picture that they couldn't improve by working on it with Photoshop. I find that to be true in my case as well. All these little debates everyone is having over whether the 9000/9500 is as good as "whatever" are pointless. Every camera has its strengths and weaknesses. You either deal with them or find something else. Buy the camera that has the features you want and use it. In another year or two there will be something out that will be bigger and better and you will just have to have it. So, either use what you have and wait for the perfect camera to be built, or move ahead. Make a choice and then make it work. There! I will step off my soapbox. :O
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:43 PM   #7

Thanks Jphess,

We all needed that.

Regards, Nicholas

Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:09 PM   #8

I just wanted to add to the noise discussion. When professionals work in Photoshop and other image editors it's quite the normal practice to add noise where blending/smudge effects and shadows etc added to the image would introduce banding when printed. Printing isn't that fine that all the little noise details show up in the output, on screen though you can scrutinize any image and see the noise quite clearly.
I have yet to discern any noise on my photos when printed even though my images clearly show noise when viewed at 50% and higher in Photoshop. I don't think it's much to worry about to be honest, whether you're using the S9500 or anything else.

The best thing to do would be to print an image that looks noisy and see the results for yourself, as long as they aren't highly compress jpg's made for the web that is.
Cheers

Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:26 AM   #9

Oh, well. As usual, very disappointing replies.

All I was interested in was where the noise was from. Image #7 has noise in it, visibleeven at the smallest view. By no standard can that be considered "normal".

But rather than answering my question, most of you come up with platitudes like "noise isn't an issue", "every camera has its strengths and weaknesses", etc.

I'm not attacking your gear nor your holy s9000 nor your photography. I was only curious as to where that noise (especially in that image) is from - nothing more and nothing less.

You guys really make it difficult to decide which camera to buy. Just when I'm about to make my pick this unfortunate "how dare you raise that point" attitude rather than honestly answering an honestly asked question makes me turn away from that camera in disappointment.

But then again, why do I even expect a decentanswer in this forum.....?

nymano.

Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:16 PM   #10

nymano wrote:
Quote:
Oh, well. As usual, very disappointing replies.

All I was interested in was where the noise was from. Image #7 has noise in it, visibleeven at the smallest view. By no standard can that be considered "normal".

But rather than answering my question, most of you come up with platitudes like "noise isn't an issue", "every camera has its strengths and weaknesses", etc.

I'm not attacking your gear nor your holy s9000 nor your photography. I was only curious as to where that noise (especially in that image) is from - nothing more and nothing less.

You guys really make it difficult to decide which camera to buy. Just when I'm about to make my pick this unfortunate "how dare you raise that point" attitude rather than honestly answering an honestly asked question makes me turn away from that camera in disappointment.

But then again, why do I even expect a decentanswer in this forum.....?

nymano.

Nymano

I respectfully suggest your response is out of line.

If you have read my image posts regarding the S9000 you will see no bragging on my part. You wil simply see, IMHO,one of the most thorough and varied web sample presentations of a camera in actual use.

Remember, the images are mine, and my photographic skills may not necessarily do justice to the long established standards set by Fuji.

Image #7 shows just how good, in my opinion, 9 mp's are when captured in a pretty darn good lens,of the S9000 that is.

Here is the original full image from which #7 was cropped:

Regards and let's continue the exchange of ideas and opinions,

Nicholas

Attached Images