Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 9, 2005, 4:35 PM   #1

I've had my S5500 for nearly a year now and I feel that I've come to know her quite well.

I have now got the S9500 with high hopes that she will outshine her predecessor (although some seeds of doubt have been sown). The S9500 seems to have the improvements that I would have liked to have seen in its smaller sister. ie. the 5th generation Super CCD and real photo technology placed in other Fujifilm cameras at the time. The manual twist zoom was also a desired feature too. It has taken me this far to feel this degree of appreciation for the S5500 for several reasons. One being, that when tested alongside the other, I find the S5500 does pretty well to say the least. Another reason why I've come to appreciate the S5500 more, is that just recently whilst I've not had much opportunity to get out much with my new S9500 and really put it to the test, I have been spending some of that time looking back at (and editing some) the many, many pictures I took with the S5500 this year. I am really pleased with the results this camera produced in a whole load of different situations/locations.

Stevedak in another post said;

> The 5500 has turned out to be a really great camera (for me at least) and I think it is very under rated generally. Would like the manual zoom & focus on the 9500 though.

Perhaps there are others who have upgraded to the S9500 or other cameras already, or maybe some are still using theirs, and as I don't see a current thread on the S5500, I just wondered whether others would like to share their views and or pics on this excellent little camera. A year in review perhaps?

I'll start off with a couple . . .

No post editing in these. Not that they couldn't do with a little enhancing. Not my best pics from this camera but posted just to get the ball rolling.
Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 4:41 PM   #2

and another . . .
Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2005, 3:15 PM   #3

Had to get my funny in Syd - great idea for a great camera by the way, hope other 5100/5500 owners contribute

Attached Images

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 3:22 PM   #4

This is still one of my favourites that was taken on the spur of the moment before I reached for it
Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2005, 3:38 PM   #5

and my tentative venture into B&W portrait ...
Attached Images

Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:12 AM   #6

Since this discussion is more about the camera than the content of the picture, I will submit the following. This image intrigues me because of the sharpness and because of the shadows. It was taken with my S5100, through the window of a Cessna 172, using a polarizer filter. We were flying around Mount McKinley in Alaska.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 1:27 PM   #7

Like that JP - got a surreal feel about it - sort of "baked alaska"look if you'll forgive the pun!
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:32 PM   #8

That really is a cool pic JP. Wouldn't like to crash land there though. Keep them comming.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 1:44 PM   #9

Lunar shot taken with S5500
Attached Images