Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:31 AM   #1

I have just recieved a telephone call from Ben Barker, Assistant Customer Services Manager at Fujifilm Head Office in Bedford. We spoke for nearly half an hour. Here's a run down of what was discussed.

Firstly I contacted Fujifilm and spoke to them regarding the issues that are currently being raised on this forum and others with regard to focusing/exposure issues.

Mr. Barker telephoned me in response to that query.

We ran over the issues being discussed. Fujifilm are aware of this forum (and DPReview) and have noted the issues raised in the posts. :blah:

Mr. Barker told me that we were quite fortunate at the moment as several of their senior people from other countries happen to be in Bedford and he has had the opportunity to raise this with them.

I was told that Fujifilm have had "some" S9500's returned as would be normally expected with any other model and not in any significantly higher numbers.

They do not see any fault or issue that is suggestive of a production run issue, ie. faulty sensors, offset settings, bad calibration . . .etc.

They do not feel that the problems people are having are in significant numbers or that problems people are having don't seem to be connected or similar enoughto issue a press release or product recall.

They do not feel that the cameras returned are indicating the same themes/type of problems, inasmuch as the cameras returned have varying faults.

I was also told that if they felt there was a particular re-occurring issue then they would certainly either have a product recall or extend the warranty period and deal with the matter as they did when there were issues with the 401 (?) 410

Mr. Barker stresssed to me that they will deal with any customer enquiry individually and do all they can to listen and help.

If it does appear that over time there does seem to be a production issue then they will issue a press release or statement on their website.

Customers are encouraged to contact the Customer Service or Technical support departments if they have any problems and that they will respond to any individual query.

Also, you can mail Mr. Barker: [email protected] or contact him by phone on 0870 084130.

I also raised the denial that there are any problems issue. Certainly the line I was initially given. He told me that all Customer Service staff have now been told that they have had problems (albeit no more than would be expected with any model) with this camera and have recieved communication regarding this. The denial issue I was given was being put down to an individuals incorrect response to my query and apologies given.

In short:

Fujifilm say there is no particular problem with the S9500 that causes them concern and that they will be happy to deal with all individual fault reports or other queries.

My initial thoughts and recommendation would be - If anyone has or has had any issues with this camera, then email Mr. Barker NOW. Especially as at the moment it seems a lot of international Fujifilm top bods are there in Bedford where he is a this current time.

Watch this space!!
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:48 AM   #2

Hi Syd

Thanks for keeping us all up to date on this. I guess the Internet is a part of the problem in all this, after all 10 years ago unless a product had a mega problem it never even raised a story in the local press. Whereas now with a whole world to communicate its issues via the net things become well known that much quicker.

I still stand by my statement some time ago. Fuji are never going to admit to a major problem to a member of the GP if a problem snowballs to the point where they have thousends of unhappy users threatening them with Lawsuits then you may get some sort of official statement from them.

I dont know how many posters here are at all computer geeks but if anyone reading this remembers the IBM Deathstar debacle of a couple of years ago. That was way way bigger than any issues the S9500 has. IBM never admitted anything at the time and I believe there is still a class action suit outstanding on that.

I am pretty sure on one thing Fuji will never confirm the information I was given with respect to a whole batch of S9500's being returned from a well know UK retailer due to issues with the sensors.

Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:33 AM   #3

GoodnessSyd, you have been busy .....
Quote:
Mr. Barker told me that we were quite fortunate at the moment as several of their senior people from other countries happen to be in Bedford and he has had the opportunity to raise this with them

Gee, that's a happy coincidence -and seeing as they are aware of these forums then itshouldn't take them too long to realise that the greater number ofS/Ns adversely commented onappear to emanate fromthe EC countries............. an even happier coincidence.

Quote:
He told me that all Customer Service staff have now been told that they have had problems (albeit no more than would be expected with any model) with this camera and have recieved communication regarding this.
Can't wait to pass this gemon to our local agent who is presentlyignoring my e-mails, which I think is atad rude of him.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:04 PM   #4

Perhaps he's on holiday in Bedford. :idea:
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote