Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 17, 2005, 1:50 AM   #11

Did you set the Syn Flash to ON in the setup menu? This should solve your problem. Good luck.:-)
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 2:01 AM   #12

Sorry Isifs but I don't understand what you are referring to. The only setting I can find is EXTERNAL flash on/off. I did a Reset from the menu though, which would have returned everything to factory settings, just like I did on my S7000, which works fine with flash in all modes.
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 2:07 AM   #13

Thanks very much for your efforts ISoS. From what you have found it does appear that I've hit upon a previously undiscovered 'feature' of the S9500. I'm sorry you have the same problem but I'm also glad to hear that I'm not alone!

As I said earlier, I'm not too bothered about using flash in S mode. The AUTO and P modes work ok, even using fill-in flash in sunlight, and if I want to use an external flash I'll use A mode.

It would be interesting to hear if any other S9500 owners can re-create the fault on their cameras though. Very intriguing. Nice one Fuji!!
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:18 AM   #14

I'll see what Fuji say about it too!
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:49 AM   #15

I've just noticed this thread but I had exactly this problem yesterday. Unintentionally I had it on S mode and was taking flash shots indoors and they all came out underexposed. I even tried bumping the ISO up to 400 but they were still dark. It never crossed my mind that it might bebecause I was in S mode till I read of your problems.

Seems like it could be a common problem.

Anyone else?

malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 5:29 AM   #16

In fact I would go so far as to challenge any S9500/9000 owners to prove they don't have the same issue/problem. Perhaps there's a good reason for it but I don't understand it!

Watch this space . . .
Old Dec 17, 2005, 6:41 AM   #17

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:
In fact I would go so far as to challenge any S9500/9000 owners to prove they don't have the same issue/problem. Perhaps there's a good reason for it but I don't understand it!

Watch this space . . .

Hello Syd and All,

This is a very interesting thread.

Here are my findings regarding this issue:

I have had underexposure using S mode while activating the built-in flash, ONLY when the subject contains highly reflective areas which bounce back the flash to the camera's meter. The same image shot as P mode, with the identical exposure, has better exposure, but with more of the highlights burned out than S mode.

It seems the S mode is more sensitive to the flash bouncing back into the lens.

Why I think my finding may be in the right direction, when I photographed an identical scene that had no highly reflective surfaces, both exposures were identcal on the review image on my LCD.

Th work around is to be watchful of highly reflective surfaces. When you have them shoot P or Manual mode.

What do you think?

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:56 AM   #18

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Th work around is to be watchful of highly reflective surfaces. When you have them shoot P or Manual mode.

What do you think?

Regards, Nicholas

Seems to be an awful lot ofthings one has to "work around" - why should S mode be any different to P or M mode in terms of "sensitivity" to reflective areas?
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:07 AM   #19

My tests were in a fairly darkened room with absolutely no reflective matter.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 1:28 PM   #20

Sorry, I gave you the wrong information as I was so sleepy. I have the same problem as you have when I use S mode and the Ext Flash set to ON, but the problem was solved when I set the Ext Flash to OFF. Give it a try to see what happen.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote