Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:00 PM   #21

I've already made sure that Ext Flash was set to OFF. Are you saying that when you set Ext flash to OFF your camera works ok in S mode? If that's really the case then you've answered ISoS's challenge in his last-but-one post.

My own findings are that if the subject is fairly close to the camera, ie around 1 metre away, the results are acceptable, but the further away the subject is the worse the underexposure becomes. At around 2 1/2 to 3 metres it is unacceptable, whereas AUTO and P modes cope perfectly well at this distance, as does my S7000 in S mode. It seems that for some reason the flash range is very restricted in S mode. I don't understand it either. We'll have to see what the Fuji technical people say.

I appear to have opened up a can of worms with this thread!!!
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:48 PM   #22

More like Pandora's box"!
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 4:42 PM   #23

I agree with Monkeybloke. I had no reflective surfaces in my shots and the subjectswere probably 2-3 metres away. Up until thenI have had no problem with flash shots.

I suppose the obvious answer is to not use S mode with flash. Unless there issome valid explanation for it, which can be overcome.
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 6:47 PM   #24

Mine does the same when using shutter priority. I have found that it seems to be linked to the metering system being used. It is most noticable when using spot, less when using average, and much less when using pattern.

Sel ......... :-)
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:22 PM   #25

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems too SelNZ.

Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:31 PM   #26

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems too SelNZ.
I don't find it a problem at all. Until I saw you guys talking about it I wasn't even aware of a problem. Most of my flash photography is with an external sunpak using manual mode. When I use the built in flash its mostly set to auto or Aperture priority.

Sel .........
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/photos.html
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:51 AM   #27

[align=center]FUJIFILM RESPONSE TO S MODE/FASH ISSUE[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]I have just spoken to Fujifilm UK Customer Services - Technical Support (Tel: 0870 - 084130).[/align]

[align=left]I explained that whilst the camera was in S mode and whilst using the in-bult flash, images were markedly underexposed in comparison. I also explained that others were experiencing the same issue.[/align]

[align=left]He told me;[/align]

[align=left]"We've never come accross this problem before. Let me go and get our office camera and have a try."[/align]

[align=left]Put on hold listening to white noise . . . .[/align]

[align=left]"Well, I have tested it out on the office camera and images appear neither underexposed or overexposed significantly, I have it tried in other modes too. There doesn't seem to be a problem.![/align]

[align=left]I asked whether this suggested individual camera faults and should owners return them for repair.[/align]

[align=left]He replied, "Certainly if people want to return them, then we can have a look."[/align]

[align=left]The word that struck me more than any other in this conversation was the word "significantly"[/align]

[align=left]I would strongly suggest that any others who have this issue, contact their Fujifilm support NOW.[/align]

[align=left]I think it may take a few calls to get them to investigate this any further. Mr. Barker Asssistant Customer Services Manager at Fujifilm told me that they are happy to deal with individual enquiries only, although he did say he would reply to any jointly writtenletter.[/align]

[align=left]I believe that the only way to do a lab test is for you to report your fault Re flash in S mode ASAP.[/align]

[align=left]Incidently BBC news reported that a Fujifilm plant that was very close to the Hemel Hempstead massive gas explosion a couple of weeks ago was completely destroyed. The Fujifilm representative explained that had it not happened on a Sunday, but say on a Monday when staff would have been present, there would have been massive loss of lives. [/align]

[align=left]Please post your communicartions with Fujifilm.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=center]"Crisis? What crisis"[/align]

[align=right]Quote; Margaret Thatcher[/align]
[align=right]or was it that James Callaghan bloke[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]ISoS[/align]

[align=left][/align]
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:02 AM   #28

I have e-mailed Mr Barker at Fuji UK with my own findings. I have referred him to this thread and told him that I am, in fact, 'Monkeybloke'.

Personally, the way I intend to use my camera, the flash problem in S mode will not cause me any real problems, but I have pointed out to Mr. Barker that many users WILL be upset by this when they eventually test their cameras in this mode and that it is something that should be looked into.

If Fuji's 'office camera' does not exhibit this behaviour, then they've been very lucky, as I feel sure that this problem is quite widespread.

We have yet to hear from any USA users about this specific problem. Is the S9000 different in some way or do they not realise that it is essentially the same as the S9500? Does anyone with an S9000 have this problem? I'll be interested to read your replies if if you do.
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:15 AM   #29

Just by the by, I did put this query into a thread on DP Review that I started "9000/9500 User's Tips" but so far nobody has responded - might be because it hasn't been posted as a new topic where it would be more visible.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:23 AM   #30

I'll check it out Steve and post it as a new thread.

Incidently, Hi Mr. Barker!

"And it's a goodnight from me . . ."