Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 19, 2005, 7:31 AM   #31

I have just emailed Mr. Barker to.

Dear Mr. Barker,

I have just discovered that my camera S9500 underexposes images significantly when the built in flash is used in Shutter Priority mode, regardless of any shutter speed used. Comparative images taken in other modes are markedly better.

I would be grateful if you could explain this issue.

Yours faithfully,
Steve *********
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:46 AM   #32

I hope you will pardon my lack of understanding on this issue. But it seems to me that shooting flash in "S" mode would be counterproductive anyway because the duration of the flash would be shorter than even the fastest shutter speed on the camera. The manual does state that images shot at a shutter speed faster than 1/1000 of a second could be underexposed. But on these images you have taken what has the aperture been set at? If the aperture is too small the pictures would be underexposed at any shutter speed.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:21 PM   #33

Using a higher than normal shutter speed with flash is often necessary, particularly when shooting moving subjects and/or in conditions where the ambient light is fairly bright.

For example, if using fill-in flash in bright sunlight in order to soften the shadows, if the shutter speed were set to, say, 1/60th second, the scene would be over-exposed due to the bright sunlight. Also, if shooting a moving subject, even indoors, movement may be seen in the subject as a result of the ambient light, even though the short flash duration would freeze the movement as far as flash is concerned.

The aperture, of course, is set according to the subject brightness and distance from the camera, so that whatever mode is used the exposure with flash should always be correct, regardless of the shutter speed used. I know that the upper limit on this camera with flash is 1/1000th second, but the underexposure occurs at all shutter speeds, even 1/30th second.

The aperture that the camera sets should be the same whatever shutter speed is used as it is only dependant on the subject brightness and distance. I have tested my S7000 in S mode at various shutter speeds and there are no problems. The S9000, however, tends to underexpose if the subject is more than about 2 metres from the camera, well within the specification for flash range and it sets the same aperture as it does in P mode.

Admittedly, in bright sunlight, even in AUTO or P mode, the camera should automatically set a higher than normal shutter speed with flash, so it is not usually essential to use S mode, it just gives you more control over the whole process.

Hope this helps to explain why S mode can be useful with flash.
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:23 PM   #34

Any reply yet Monkeybloke? None here.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:29 PM   #35

Never mind.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 4:37 PM   #36

No reply yet here either ISoS. Of course they only did a quick test with their office camera when you spoke to them on the phone. You will remember that you also did a quick test when you first replied to this thread and you could not see any problem at first.

Hopefully, they're doing a full controlled test in the lab and looking at the results on a PC, although if the subject is more than about 2 metres from the camera they should be able to see the problem quite easily on the camera LCD.

I've been taking some more pics today and up to now I haven't encountered any other faults with my camera, but I'm glad I've still hung on to my trusty S7000 and also my Minolta 800si film SLR - just in case! We'll just have to wait and see what Fuji can come up with. Hopefully it might be fixable with a firmware upgrade, which would be a lot easier than everyone having to return their cameras.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 4:45 PM   #37

There's nothing wrong with S9000 / S9500 flash....

In "Auto" modes it always fires at maximum power , while in S/A/M modes it uses "flash power" setting, which is "nornal" by default.

Just icrease the flash output level to the max. - the result will be identical to Auto/P modes...

One small thing to remember about flash photography: shutter speed has no influence, only aperture affects flash power (Guide number = subject distance * f/number).

x7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:18 PM   #38

Sorry x7497, but I can't agree with that. I've just checked the output of my flash with a flashmeter and it's identical in all modes. The flash output does not reduce in S mode.

There's no mention of having to inrease the flash output in the instruction manual and it's certainly not necessary with the S7000, which gives identical exposures with flash in all modes.

What do you think ISoS?
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:28 PM   #39

S9500 INTERNAL flash power set to its max. in auto modes.

EXTERNALflash output is controlled by the flash unit itself and effective distance can be determined by dividing flash unis's GN by camera's aperture. Once again - shutter speed has no influence, it only allows to capture some "ambient" light,at slow values (the "S" mode does exactly that).

x7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:38 PM   #40

Where have you obtained this information? I repeat, I have taken several shots of a wall about 3 metres away in AUTO, P and S modes and I have measured the flash output with a flashmeter. The flash output was exactly the same in all cases. The flashmeter does not lie, yet in S mode the pictures were underexposed by the camera.