Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:55 PM   #41

Well, you obviously know how to use your flashmeter, but you lack some very basic photography background - and by all means this is no offence.

Slow shutter speed only captures the ambient light and does not have any effect on exposure, which is solely controlled by aperture openning.

Here what you should to to check this:

1. use camera's internal flash in auto mode and notice the aperture.

2. select any manual mode (a/s/m) and set exposure parameters so,that the aperture will be the same as in auto mode

3. set flash output level to it's maximum (system menu)

4 take your picture. The exposure sould be identical to auto-mode exposure.

If you change your aperrture setting - flash distance changes as well.

S9500 internal flash guide number is about 12 meters for ISO 100 at 28 mm.

this means, that f/3 will give you 4 meters (12/3), f/4 will give you 3 meters and f/6 will give you only 2 meters of effective flash range.

When you switch to "S" mode - mind the aperture, because it controlls the flash range.

So far for flash theory. :-)

x7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:05 PM   #42

I was brought up in the days of manual cameras and manual flashguns and I assure you that I do know all about the guide number formula.

With a camera such as the S9500 it should only be necessary to apply this formula if shooting in M mode. In AUTO, P, S and A modes the camera should take care of all this automatically. just as the S7000 does. The S9500 is no different to the S7000 in that respect when using flash.

Anyway, I'm not going to be drawn any more into this discussion. If anyone out there can input any further information, please join in and let's hear your thoughts on this.

It appears that I've been doing it all wrong for the last 40 years.
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:09 PM   #43

"In AUTO, P, S and A modes the camera should take care of all this automatically. just as the S7000 does"

Wrong, good luck.

x7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:27 PM   #44

The division bell ringssssssssssssss.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:58 AM   #45

[align=center]9500/9000 Flash issue in S mode[/align]
[align=center]LATEST [/align]

I have just recieved the following email from Mr. Barker Assistant Customer Services Manager at Fujifilm UK.

Mr Jenkins,

Please could you email a couple of sample images displaying this problem to [email protected] so that our technical team can investigate the matter for you.

many thanks

Ben

My reply;

Dear Ben,

Thank you for your reply to my query. I shall send some examples shortly.

Regards,
Steve Jenkins

I think it would be really useful (imperative) if others that are experiencing this problem/issue could also email their images to; [email protected] I would suggest a pic taken in Auto, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority and Apeture Priority modes using the in built flash. I suggest also that shots taken are exactly placed. ie. use a tripod, and make sure there is no highly refective material bouncing back light in the shot. Perhaps others may suggest a better method.

Check that all settings are identical to those in taken in Auto.

Shots should include embeded exif data.

Let's help Fujifilm to help us.

Good luck, and please share your submissions and results/feedback from Fujifilm.

ISoS

Old Dec 20, 2005, 8:21 AM   #46

Waiting for the next News-FLASH :|!!!
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 9:58 AM   #47

Hi,

I just tried a test with my 1 month old s9500. Camera set to auto, ISO set to auto Zoom set to 100, Flash set to auto and subject 5 metres away. The camera selected ISO 400 shutter 1/60 and aperture f3.8.

Keeping everything else the same I set it to A mode and the camera selected ISO 200 shutter 1/60 and aperture f3.8.

Then changing to S mode the camera selected ISO 200 shutter 1/60 and aperture f3.8.

So for me the A and S mode settings were the same but under-exposed compared to fully automatic.

So what am I doing wrong :O
number47uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:33 AM   #48

Well, x7497, what is he doing wrong? I'm sure you'll be able to tell him.
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:52 AM   #49

"Number47 and Monkeybloke, don't take this offensively but you both obviously know nothing about photography . . . . and certainly not as much as me..... excuse my sour tone, but . . . .work around it . . . . . . fix it . . . . . .latest Fuji patch . . . . . RIGHT!"

YFU200

Sorry dudes just couldn't resist that! On a serious note Number47 and Monkeybloke, could you submit some examples to Fujifilm. Let's see what they say.

Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:53 AM   #50

I can't really contribute any results because my camera is still in the box for a few more days. But on page 39 of the PDF manual there is the chart that shows that Auto flash mode is not available in the "A" mode. I wonder if this is what is causing the "problem".
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote