Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:59 AM   #51

Good point Jphess, but as I understand it, that simply means that the flash will work in 'forced' mode. ie. it will fire on every shot regardless of backlighting etc., whereas in auto flash mode it will only fire if the camera decides it's needed. Shouldn't make any difference to the exposure though.
Monkeybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:08 AM   #52

Seems is also not available in S mode too JP.

I can't wait until you get that camera back either. Looking forward to your pics and comments on all this too. Would be interested to hear your views once you have given the camera a thorough test.

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:10 AM   #53

Perhaps there's nothing wrong with our cameras. It might be a bug in Windows XP that's causing the pictures to look underexposed.

Maybe we should send copies of our pictures to Uncle Bill!
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:15 AM   #54

"Well, x7497, what is he doing wrong? I'm sure you'll be able to tell him" ...

Of course: "AUTO ISO" only works in AUTO modes - auto/P/natural light/anti blur.

In MANUAL or Semi-Automatic modes (A/S/M) - the camera uses explicit values set in "photometry menu" ( "F" button) - hence there's no deliberate underexposure byone stubborn camera, but yet another erroneous assumption about camera's operation "logic".
x7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:28 AM   #55

Yes, I agree entirely with that, x7497. That explains why the film speed changed in the different modes. But surely, whatever film speed the user sets or the camera sets, the metering system should still be able to give correct exposures if the subject is within the flash range. In Number47's case, it did not, the pics were underexposed in S and A modes. On my own camera, A mode gives good results. It is only S mode that fails.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:13 PM   #56

Different cameras behave differently. The biggest problem with S9x00is its inadequateuser manual, not its operation. This cameraoffersmore creative control than any other "prosumer" camera ,but this wealth of photographicfeatures is poorly documented. Here are some points to remember when using s9x00 internal flash unit:

In all automatic modes (Auto/p/anti blur)thefollowing values are set automatically:

- aperture (controlls the distance)
- shutter speed (controls the ambient light)
- ISO sensitivity (if set to "auto ISO")
- flash output level (always "high")

In semi automatic/manual modes (A/S/M) the following "logic" apply:

- Camera will attempt the "slow sync" flash mode in all but "M" mode, resulting in much slower shutter speeds.
- Camera uses whatever ISO value is set for this mode, it won't increase ISO automatically.
- Camera uses whatever flash output level is set (flash menu), it won't increase/decrease flash level automatically

So, in order to maintain thesame exposure as in automatic modes, one has to set
ISO sensitivity and flash output level manually, to matchautomatically chosen values. In addition to that, changing the apertureaffects flash range.

This kind of logicis pretty different from point-and-shot cameras, butrather similar to SLR.

Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:37 PM   #57

Where did you get all this technical information about the S9x00? Presumably you've got exactly the same user manual as the rest of us. Do you work for Fuji?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 2:07 PM   #58

I do not work for Fuji nor for any other manufacturer, butI do own a small photostudio, teach photography and write camera guides for last 25 years, does this count? :-)

Seriously, it is not really important who I am and what I do, as long asthe information I provide can be helpful to others...
Old Dec 20, 2005, 2:17 PM   #59

I know it's not really important who you are and what you do but the information you have just provided will, hopefully, give people confidence that they can trust the information that you give out.

I think we should petition Fuji for a better user manual for this camera, or at least some useful technical info on their website about it, so that we can use it more effectively and avoid situations such as this thread and minimise the number of returns that they get in their service department.

Thanks for your help

Monkeybloke
Old Dec 20, 2005, 2:53 PM   #60

I think a BSc in Photographic Science backed up by a MSc in Digital & Photographic Imaging, is rapidly becominga pre-requisiteto 9500 ownership.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote